Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2001 MDX 144000 miles. Trans cooler in 2017
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to tow trailer of house goods from Detroit to Miami. I have only added a trans cooler and required Uhaul hitch. What is my max safe towable weight ? DO I Need to add the brakes cooler too? I'm also considering using an Air Safe Receiver Hitches - Mfg No. 05000 - Explosive Powersports to improve the handling and ride comfort..
Please advise.
Thank you in-advance for your support in replying.
Ken Skolnick

·
Registered
869 Posts
IIRC 2001 MDX is rated to tow 3500 pounds if the ATF cooler and Power Steering fluid cooler are installed. Limit is raised to 4500 pounds for boats, on the assumption that boats are more aerodynamic than box trailers. This isn't a joke. Big boxy trailers have a big resistance to getting pulled through the air at high speed. The more the trailer hides in the slipstream of the SUV, the better it will tow on the highway. It's as big a factor as weight in flat terrain. Cross-winds can push the rig around and cause the steering to work hard, hence the PS fluid cooler. For a one-time tow you can probably get by without the PS fluid cooler if you take it easy IMO.

For what you would pay for the "air hitch" accessory, you could almost rent a moving truck. If you get the load balanced properly so that it's heavier in front and the trailer tongue has about 10-15% of the total weight, there should be no need for such things.

A U-Haul 6'x12' enclosed trailer holds a lot of stuff, but it weighs 1900 pounds empty! If you can squeeze into it, a 5'x10' might be a better choice, especially if you aren't experienced at trailering. Those size trailers will have hydraulic surge trailer brakes to assist in slowing the rig. When in doubt, SLOW DOWN! Trailer sway is a real risk and it can really spoil your day. If things start feeling squirrelly, SLOW DOWN!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts