Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
“Life (and automobiles) is like a box of chocolates.....”

My first Acura was/is a 2003 TL. It currently has 85,000 miles and the only thing that I can think of that has been anywhere near an issue is the volume control on the steering wheel.

Due to my positive experience with my TL I purchased a new 2018 MDX SH-AWH Advance in July 2018 to replace a 2008 Chrysler T&C, and I am very pleased with my purchase decision.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
My first Acura was/is a 2003 TL. It currently has 85,000 miles and the only thing that I can think of that has been anywhere near an issue is the volume control on the steering wheel.
TL is a fun driving car... but 2003 (17 years) and only 85K miles? Need to get in that TL and drive more~~ ;)

·
Registered
543 Posts
I honestly don't understand the continued bad press the zf9 continues to get on 2019 and 2020 models as they made significant refinements to the zf9 for 2019 and later and my 2019 has been excellent.

Prior to 2019 then I understand, but this was improved significantly for 2019 and 2020.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
104 Posts
Well, after over 11 years of semi-trouble free ownership, I pulled the trigger and swapped out my 2009 2nd Gen. MDX for a top trim (Prestige) 2019 Audi Q7. Before doing so, I cross-shopped several 3 row SUVs, including the Lincoln Aviator, the Lexus RX-350L with AWD and the Luxury Package, and a comparably equipped 2020 MDX Advance with SH-AWD.

We were not impressed with much about the Lexus, and while the Aviator seemed to have the most room and was by far the most powerful vehicle with 400 HP, the Q7 had the right amount of space, power (turbocharged 3.0 @ 330 HP), buttery-smooth 8-speed transmission, handling and technology integration for us. Coming from our MDX, we really wanted to give the 2020 Advance the benefit of the doubt, but we ended up disappointed. The MDX has less power, its technology is less current and not as well integrated as the Q7, the Q7's fit and finish, both interior and exterior, are light years better, and the handling of both vehicles is equivalent (to us). From an appearance standpoint, I know various posters here have expressed a distaste for the design of the Q7's grill, but apart from beauty being in the eyes of the beholder, I can't see the grill while I'm in the vehicle, so I really don't need to worry about such aesthetic considerations.

In a nutshell, the Q7 is, to us, a true luxury vehicle, while the current MDX is near-luxury at best. I realize some posters here may believe otherwise about Acura models. However, it is worth noting that even with the extended warranty we negotiated, the Q7's price was only about $1200 more than the "best and final" price quoted by my local Acura dealer for the MDX. To not confuse apples and oranges, we could have opted for the 2020 Q7 for the same price we paid for the 2019, but we didn't like the two touchscreen setup (a la MDX) in the 2020.

This forum has been a great resource for me during my MDX ownership, and I plan to lurk here from time to time to learn what's happening in Acura World. As the proud owner of a '91 Acura Legend (a true near-luxury car) imported from Japan during Honda/Acura's salad days, I can only hope the company finds its way back to what made its early 90s vehicles such compelling and value-driven choices. Who knows, perhaps by the mid-cycle refresh of the 4th Gen. MDX, Honda will have returned the Acura family of vehicles to the near-luxury level at which they began. Cheers and best of luck to all, regardless of the vehicle(s) you may be driving.

·
Registered
543 Posts
A top trim new q7 for only 1200 more than a mdx?? U must have gotten a steal of a deal. When I bought my 2019 Advance with Entertainment mdx in late 2018 had a sticker of 61k, a 2019 q7 prestige with similar options to the mdx was 71k. Even after discount (better deal on the mdx than the q7) I still would have been looking at around 65k for the q7 where I "only" paid 57k for the mdx.

·
Registered
104 Posts
A top trim new q7 for only 1200 more than a mdx?? U must have gotten a steal of a deal.
Yup, I did get a very good deal - 18% off MSRP. I can't say why Audi was discounting so much. Not nearly as much of a potential discount on the Advance. It may be because the local Acura dealer sets a single "upfront" price from which it does not negotiate. I don't know. I'm still glad I opted for the Q over the MDX for the reasons I stated previously.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Yup, I did get a very good deal - 18% off MSRP. I can't say why Audi was discounting so much. Not nearly as much of a potential discount on the Advance. It may be because the local Acura dealer sets a single "upfront" price from which it does not negotiate. I don't know. I'm still glad I opted for the Q over the MDX for the reasons I stated previously.
The q is a fine vehicle. The main reasons I opted for the mdx was the extra up front cost, which was about $8k, the fact I'd have to pay a $200-$300 subscription to audi connect just to have traffic thru the nav (have to use audi nav to make use of it in the HUD, mdx has free traffic and Android auto turn my turn works in the mid), the extra maintenance costs as German cars are more expensive to maintain in the long run, and I was concerned about the cost of repairs after warranty as I plan on keeping the vehicle for more than 10 years

·
Registered
152 Posts
I read your posting with interest. I bought a 2019 MDX new last August. It is the MDX with Technology package. I have had it now for 7 months and so far - knock on wood - it has been a terrific car. I traded a 2018 RDX w/Technology that I had also bought new, but I wanted the bigger car, so I decided to take a gamble and go with the MDX even though I had read some really not so good things about the MDX with the ZF 9-speed transmission. I have not experienced any problems with my transmission, but there again I have not had the car very long. I have wondered just exactly what is wrong with the 9-speed and why Acura/Honda owners loathe it. Interestingly, I bought the 2018 RDX specifically because it had the 3.5L V6 and the Honda 6-speed transmission - which is an almost 'bulletproof" combination. But as I said, I wanted the bigger car so I went with an MDX.
Boy around here discounts on Audi are nowhere near that number. But then neither is the Acura. When we went shopping a Q5 and MDX are in the same net price range, The Q5 hybrid in the end would have been more expensive than the MDX hybrid but after the Q5 tax credit of 6700 it would have been a few K less.

If I could have picked up a Q7 prestige for the same price as a MDX, well, that would have been a tough decision.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Q7 is on our short list, but waiting on the 4th gen MDX to drop before we make any decisions. In our house we're sort of sensitive to the image that the German prestige brands project, it's not our jam. The near luxury MDX has always been a favorite since our first one back in 2004.

·
Registered
81 Posts

You got a good deal because the 2021 refresh is coming out and they depreciate fast. I would have personally waited if I went Audi. I browsed the Audi forum and a lot of people are having electrical issues with the car. Someone even said they were going to move to lexus too lol.

·
Registered
492 Posts
2020 Q7 is already refreshed. I would have gone with the 2019 if I bought today. 2020 is a totally new engine.

·
Registered
104 Posts
You got a good deal because the 2021 refresh is coming out and they depreciate fast. I would have personally waited if I went Audi. I browsed the Audi forum and a lot of people are having electrical issues with the car. Someone even said they were going to move to lexus too lol. Hope your car works out for you.
First, whether or not your opinion about a Q7 2021 refresh is accurate, I'm happy to be driving a true luxury SUV for nearly the same price I could have bought a new "near-luxury" Advance. However, as your post suggests, YMMV. Second, I understand the MDX refresh also should occur around the 2021 timeframe, so using your logic, I should have been offered some heavy discounting on the 2020 Advance, but was not. Third, whether or not "lots of people" in fact are having electrical issues with their Q7s, I hope you will agree that this forum is not exactly empty of gripes about electrical glitches in the various MDX model years. In fact, you may have noticed that in this very thread, people are thinking about moving to Lexus because of dissatisfaction with the glitches in their current MDX. :giggle: Finally, thanks for your best wishes that the Q works out for me the way I hope it does. Cheers!

·
Registered
81 Posts
First, whether or not your opinion about a Q7 2021 refresh is accurate, I'm happy to be driving a true luxury SUV for nearly the same price I could have bought a new "near-luxury" Advance. However, as your post suggests, YMMV. Second, I understand the MDX refresh also should occur around the 2021 timeframe, so using your logic, I should have been offered some heavy discounting on the 2020 Advance, but was not. Third, whether or not "lots of people" in fact are having electrical issues with their Q7s, I hope you will agree that this forum is not exactly empty of gripes about electrical glitches in the various MDX model years. In fact, you may have noticed that in this very thread, people are thinking about moving to Lexus because of dissatisfaction with the glitches in their current MDX. :giggle: Finally, thanks for your best wishes that the Q works out for me the way I hope it does. Cheers!
I got an advance/ent awd for over 8k off msrp so deals are had, you were just unlucky and didn't find a deal at the time. Just because you "should have been offered some heavy discounting" and you weren't doesn't mean there weren't discounts or the dealer didn't want to deal with you. Second, there is no "refresh" in 2021 for the MDX, it'll be a new generation whereas the 2021 actually is a refresh for the Q7. There are "lots of people" that complain more about the Q7's electrical than there are to the MDX and all their electrical are something different each time. I've had 4 generation 3 mdx's and never had a problem with the electrical unless you count the poor shifting of the zf9. Third, cars that often depreciate faster toffers high discounts, example would be domestic cars/trucks. People are thinking about moving to lexus because of the dissatisfaction with the mdx but I find it funny that someone said the exact same thing browsing the Q7 forum. Either way, I'm gone from the MDX and the next car will most likely be a lexus.

·
Registered
492 Posts
^^^Seriously, why are you so hostile about other people's purchase decisions? I bet your Spindle Grill fan club is missing you, you should head over there and lift the mood with your charm and good nature.

·
Registered
81 Posts
^^^Seriously, why are you so hostile about other people's purchase decisions? I bet your Spindle Grill fan club is missing you, you should head over there and lift the mood with your charm and good nature.
I don't see how my post was hostile and for the "spindle grill fan club" it's grille* and I don't own a lexus. Maybe you can go back to your shelter and eat your veggie chips?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just wondering what a "toffers" is? Spelling seems to be trigger for you. The sentence structure could be better too.
what are you talking about? Just give it up bro you’re starting to be weird and whatever these comebacks are, are lame. Talk about sentencing structure...”Spelling seems to be trigger for you?....What?

·
Registered
412 Posts
I owned a 2006 RX400h prior to my MDX ownership (I traded it for a 2006 when both had 180 000km and I also now have a 2014). Granted, that RX400h was the first generation hybrid SUV for Toyota, but it was a nightmare of high cost repairs (to Toyota, because it was all repaired under warranty). I know you're looking at the 3rd gen (I think), so maybe Toyota has improved. Two major repairs I had done - inverter started leaking coolant and the transmission started leaking oil. The inverter alone was $9000 (CDN) plus labour. The new tranny was $5000 plus labour. Other repairs - headlight popup washers stopped popping up - new high pressure pump needed. Driver's seat lumbar stopped inflating - by then I was out of extended warranty. Moisture in the headlights - dealer said it was normal. Sometimes the key would not turn in the ignition (nothing to do with the steering wheel slightly turned putting pressure on the mechanism - it just flat out wouldn't turn and other owners experienced similar situations) - Lexus dealer couldn't duplicate the problem.

Now my 2006 MDX - 425 000 km. Orignal A/C still works, original tranny still works. Biggest cost repair to date - rear wheel bearing at dealer $350. Front wheel bearing at indy mechanic - $220. Pass lower control arm , indy mechanic $200. The HFL has died and I've disconnected it.

2014 MDX - 220 000 km. One back up sensor went bad. No cost to me because the dealer owed me for a botched front windshield replacement (rock impact). I think it was around $150 if I had to pay for it.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Test drive both to see what you like and make your decision based on the criteria that is important to you. Here's what I went through and some of my opinions:

I owned a 2012 MDX prior to purchasing my 2019 MDX, and I drove the Audi Q7, Mercedes GLS, Lexus GX and Lexus RX (which I had for an entire day) before purchasing the 2019 MDX. I liked the Audi Q7 a lot, but reliability in them (I keep vehicles a long time) was not there. The GLS was too expensive for what you got, but still a nice vehicle! The GX was nice, but I didn't like the side swing rear door which had to be manually opened, and it would make it hard for my wife who drops off our kids at school to get out of the car each time. The RX...here's some more detail:

For me, there are a few differences between the MDX vs the Lexus RX which kept me in the MDX.
  • cost for what you get
  • more room in the MDX. I like having captain's chairs. The 3rd row in the RX-L is a joke, horrible to access and no legroom.
  • the MDX drives a LOT better. I own a Lexus GS and love it and it is fun to drive it, but the RX is not a great driving vehicle compared to the MDX
  • the Lexus front grill. You'd think they'd learn from Acura, who FINALLY got rid of their bird beak, that people don't like the "Predator face" grill area in the front
Things I don't like:
  • reliability is worse in the MDX
  • screen is small, low res and hate the touch screen
  • lack of some basics like HUD, no driver side custom dash (Q7 and GLS have it)
  • front hood is so high up, not slanted down enough, making it hard to see right in front of you (I'm over 6' tall too)

41 - 60 of 68 Posts