Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 40 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Sorry,I’m not taking car buying advice from someone who basically buys 4 cars in one year. You don’t have to buy a car to know it can’t tow or that the hybrid sometimes shuts the gas engine down.
good luck.

I'm not giving car advice to you, and I'm not going to care what someone says when don't contribute with useful information to a thread. Having driven all 3 my opinion provides more useful information.

I don't see how not taking advice from someone having had 4 cars and driven them all in a year is beneficial. Good luck with your zf-9 and all the issues that will arise... andI don't really mean the good luck.

·
Registered
2017 MDX Tech - Crystal Black Pearl/Black
660 Posts
So...our other car is a 17 RX, when the Nav went, wife had an NX loaner while I had an RDX A Spec loaner. Lexus is more refined, and Acura is more fun to drive.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I'm not giving car advice to you, and I'm not going to care what someone says when don't contribute with useful information to a thread. Having driven all 3 my opinion provides more useful information.

I don't see how not taking advice from someone having had 4 cars and driven them all in a year is beneficial. Good luck with your zf-9 and all the issues that will arise... andI don't really mean the good luck.
I have a hybrid. No zf9 transmission.

·
Registered
868 Posts
So...our other car is a 17 RX, when the Nav went, wife had an NX loaner while I had an RDX A Spec loaner. Lexus is more refined, and Acura is more fun to drive.
I agree with your comment. I have shopped the RX several times and ended up with the MDX. The last time was when I had my 11 Advance and looking at new vehicles, we had a RX loaner when my wife's 13 ES300h was in for service. Very refined, but cargo area not big enough, plus it did not meet my golf club test of fitting a bag cross ways behind the second row.

I am on the Lexus forum since my wife has the ES300h and I have had two LSs, and if three rows are needed, there are many Lexus RX owners or wanna be owners that waited for the RXL and are unhappy that the third row is essentially unusable.

This is my fourth MDX and have never had any significant issue with any of them. The only issue with my current 17 Advance is that on about 4 occasions the driver side door will not unlock and had to be unlocked manually from the inside. Dealer could not replicate issue.

·
Registered
32 Posts
At 25K miles on my 2018 MDX Hybrid Advance could not be happier with ride, handing, performance. Good luck on the lexus.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Maybe hybrid is the only way to go to avoid VCM.
I know many people don't feel the negative side of VCM, just as indicated on this forum. Yet some of us who are the unlucky ones have to live with this VCM misery throughout.
This is the biggest reason not getting the next Acura, not playing with odds anymore if you have been burnt before.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Too many issues with my mdx 2016 as well. im leaving Acura after this one. Go to youtube and search mdx Alabama production you can exactly see how this mdx is made and you can understand about quality issues.
Miss back when they made TL

·
Registered
19 Posts
MDXs are now assembled in East Liberty, OH ...... and have been since late 2017. My 2011 Pilot Touring 4WD was built in AL and was a solid and trouble free vehicle.

·
Registered
25 Posts
You'll have problems wherever you go... I came from a RX450h because I needed the third row.. I had the lexus in repair because when switching form battery power to engine, the entire care shakes and knocks like crazy.. was almost a 1500-2000 repair bill if I didn't have extended warranty. Ill look for my thread on club lexus.. was something to do with ignition, they tried to swap coils (i think) between the cylinder and end up ordering a bunch of replacement parts. Funny thing was a year later, same issue, had it replace twice under warranty.. On club lexus as of 2015, I think I was the second person with the issue. First guy had to shell out money for repair i think. Over all the rx was pretty good, The only problem I have with my 17 mdx is the folding mirrors. It doesn't always fold or unfold

·
Registered
2017 MDX Tech - Crystal Black Pearl/Black
660 Posts
You'll have problems wherever you go... I came from a RX450h because I needed the third row.. I had the lexus in repair because when switching form battery power to engine, the entire care shakes and knocks like crazy.. was almost a 1500-2000 repair bill if I didn't have extended warranty. Ill look for my thread on club lexus.. was something to do with ignition, they tried to swap coils (i think) between the cylinder and end up ordering a bunch of replacement parts. Funny thing was a year later, same issue, had it replace twice under warranty.. On club lexus as of 2015, I think I was the second person with the issue. First guy had to shell out money for repair i think. Over all the rx was pretty good, The only problem I have with my 17 mdx is the folding mirrors. It doesn't always fold or unfold
I came from an RX450h bc I totalled mine. It drove good but had recurring bearing issues. It was also abused as it was my beater car.. Perforated Seats also wore out, but I had a certain confidence I could get 300k miles out of it easy. I had 215k at the time I totalled it. Just a month with the new to me '17 MDX, and it's growing on me. However, I am still wondering if I can get to 200k without babying it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I don't understand brand loyalty. As a concept, it makes no sense. That's like eating at the same restaurant every day because their food isn't bad, so you never try other restaurants. Then one time, you get a meal you don't like so you leave the restaurant and vow to never return. In reality there are good cars and bad cars, and today, almost every car you buy is good from the aspect that they are mechanically reliable. We chose to buy our MDXs for one reason or another. It wasn't our only option and nobody made us buy it. Suddenly when the mirror doesn't fold in we lose all faith and vow to never buy Acura again because it didn't live up to our high expectations. All of it seems dramatic, no?

I understand wanting things to work perfectly and consistently when you spend hard-earned money on a product. I think we all get that. But with cars today being more complicated than ever, it will be impossible to find a car that never has an issue, regardless of the make. We each deserve to be satisfied with our purchases so if your current car doesn't do that, by all means go find yourself one that does. I have done it many times. Just beware that you haven't been fooled into thinking the grass is greener on the other side. Wishing all the best to you and your next car. May you be satisfied with the compromises you make for it.

Reactions: tahiti5701

·
Registered
86 Posts
I don't understand brand loyalty.
It's the devil you know, vs. the devil you don't ;) Maybe you develop a good relationship with the service department, the dealer is close, or.... Also, humans are generally averse to change. OTOH, there is a limit and once/if you reach the breaking point, change can feel rather liberating.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'm now looking at a new Lexus RX450H. I'm tired of my MDX constantly having problems. While not affecting drivability and still under warranty I don't want to have these or other problems after warranty expires.

I started having electronic problems about 7 months after purchasing my 2017 MDX Advance (new). It has been in the shop various times for different problems i.e. all warning lights came on twice, engine stop on breaking quit working - while I don't like it I had it repaired because it is related to the electronics.

Not taken in for repairs yet.
  • Steering wheel does not always move to driver 1 position when starting - 5 out of 6 starts on 3/2/20. Have to push driver 1 button.
  • In cold weather (20’s) trunk doesn’t open from exterior release. This has been replaced once before.
  • On 2 occasions, recently) driver’s door took several tries to unlock, weather was in 20’s
  • “Cross Traffic Warning” came on for no reason and remained on for about a mile, until I turned off engine and restarted.
  • There is an intermediary squeal (sounds like from steering wheel) when I start car and it is going into driver 1 position.
That's too bad, Acura use to be such a quality automotive company but now they having issues with quality control. Not only are they having issues like your stuff but some engines are burning as much as a quart of oil every 1,000 miles and all Acura says it's within specs?! And some engines are burning more than that but the only year they are recalling is the 2018 MDX's other years have the same problem but they don't care about those, and when you take your car in with that engine they'll test it and if it doesn't burn more than a quart every 1,000 miles they just give the car back to you and say it's within specs.

I own an 09 Acura TL Tech and it's been great with no mechanical problems in 112,000 miles, but I'll never buy another Acura due to all the problems I'm hearing about. The only weird thing I had happen to it, which never had this happen to any other car I've ever owned, but I left it outside and got some minor frost on the windows which I scraped the ice off, but the passenger front window wouldn't go down till the interior heated up, odd, but not a big deal.

So your decision to go Lexus is the same decision I'll make when it's time for me to get another car. I'm also sick and tired of American cars and trucks, I've had all the brands of American trucks and none of them had transmissions that lasted past 116,000 miles, I even went the extra mile in my last two trucks and installed a large trans oil coolers, and I always changed my trans fluid per maintenance schedule, my last truck which I still have but the trans is weak, I actually changed the damn fluid twice as often thinking I would lick the problem...nope. I've had premature engine failure in two of the trucks, one engine lasted 78,000 miles and the other 92,000, both engines had main bearing failures. So my next truck will be a Toyota Tundra, I'm not ever buying another American vehicle. None of the American cars I've had made since late 70's have lasted more than 120,000 miles, mostly transmissions problems.

Now Nissan has gone cheap, they decided to link up with Renault and get engines from them starting from 2008 with one model now most of their cars have Renault engines, the Renault brand is famous for poor quality engines for many years. I think only the Maxima, 370z, GTR, Murano, Pathfinder, Armada, Frontier and the Titan truck are the only models that don't use the Renault line of engines.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
That's too bad, Acura use to be such a quality automotive company but now they having issues with quality control. Not only are they having issues like your stuff but some engines are burning as much as a quart of oil every 1,000 miles and all Acura says it's within specs?! And some engines are burning more than that but the only year they are recalling is the 2018 MDX's other years have the same problem but they don't care about those, and when you take your car in with that engine they'll test it and if it doesn't burn more than a quart every 1,000 miles they just give the car back to you and say it's within specs.
It’s funny that I have not read anything on this forum about engines using that much oil. Where did you read that? Thanks.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Last September I test drove RX450H before settling on 19 MDX Hybrid Tech. Perfectly happy with MDX so far.
Performance of RX450 was not as good and no Apple Car play.
I also have 03 MDX so familiarity with the brand was another reason.
I don't go for German cars because I like to keep my cars 10+ years and maintain them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
News to me as well on the 2018 MDX. All car companies have issues and recalls, all of them. I worked for American Honda Motor Co. for many years retiring in 2016. We always strived to be a quality and value minded company. Having said that, I‘m not sure that is always the case now. So much cost down and pressures put on parts suppliers, let alone the assembly process, I am concerned this could be showing up in the final product. Add in all the technology and features and you are bound to have have some issues pop up.
Me?..... I am still a loyal customer. My 17 Tech had some Navi issues and the tranny was a little jerky, but it shifts much smoother as time went by. No other issues. Love the ride, quietness, power and mpg. Will probably get another some day.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Last September I test drove RX450H before settling on 19 MDX Hybrid Tech. Perfectly happy with MDX so far.
Performance of RX450 was not as good and no Apple Car play.
I also have 03 MDX so familiarity with the brand was another reason.
I don't go for German cars because I like to keep my cars 10+ years and maintain them.
I had the same impressions of the RX450, along with the butt ugly front end left that one off the list.

As to German cars, I have two, both 20+ years old, one with 190K miles the other 100K. Reliability and ownership cost on at least these two older models has been very good with only a few issues as the one nears 200k miles. I do most of the maintenance. I'd have gone for another one, but none of them had what we were looking for.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have had all 3 cars, a 2019 RX450HL, 2019 MDX Advance/Ent, 2019 Advance/Hybrid and now a 2020 Pilot EX-l.

I took a $5k hit and sold the lexus back to get the mdx back. The awd system SUCKS, I take the same turn at a fast speed with the with the lexus that I did on the mdx and it was slipping. I felt so cramped in the lexus despite the HL model. Also the CVT transmission just sucks, it's a loud constant drone, believe it or not, the mdx was quieter. The depreciation on the higher tier lexus drop fast, when I called around to sell it, I was given numerous low ball offers because most dealer look at the packages as one, not all the add ons within that package that I had such as led headlights, tail lights and other options.

The best driving experience was the advance/hybrid, best shifting and power but I hated the stop/go feature and the no towing. I left acura all together because of the lack of technology, nothing about acura is advanced in my opinion. I went with a pilot because the ex-l has the best 6 speed transmission that is reliable, the space is big and I don't feel as cramped. The awd is almost the same except for tuning and it has a nice infotainment system. Just stick with the ex-l and below, anything above has the dreaded zf-9 transmission and other issues.

There are many new vehicles coming out within this and next year but I don't buy first gen cars due to the likelihood of issues for the first 2 years so in my opinion, the pilot is the best choice at this current state.
I read your posting with interest. I bought a 2019 MDX new last August. It is the MDX with Technology package. I have had it now for 7 months and so far - knock on wood - it has been a terrific car. I traded a 2018 RDX w/Technology that I had also bought new, but I wanted the bigger car, so I decided to take a gamble and go with the MDX even though I had read some really not so good things about the MDX with the ZF 9-speed transmission. I have not experienced any problems with my transmission, but there again I have not had the car very long. I have wondered just exactly what is wrong with the 9-speed and why Acura/Honda owners loathe it. Interestingly, I bought the 2018 RDX specifically because it had the 3.5L V6 and the Honda 6-speed transmission - which is an almost 'bulletproof" combination. But as I said, I wanted the bigger car so I went with an MDX.

21 - 40 of 68 Posts