Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm now looking at a new Lexus RX450H. I'm tired of my MDX constantly having problems. While not affecting drivability and still under warranty I don't want to have these or other problems after warranty expires.

I started having electronic problems about 7 months after purchasing my 2017 MDX Advance (new). It has been in the shop various times for different problems i.e. all warning lights came on twice, engine stop on breaking quit working - while I don't like it I had it repaired because it is related to the electronics.

Not taken in for repairs yet.
  • Steering wheel does not always move to driver 1 position when starting - 5 out of 6 starts on 3/2/20. Have to push driver 1 button.
  • In cold weather (20’s) trunk doesn’t open from exterior release. This has been replaced once before.
  • On 2 occasions, recently) driver’s door took several tries to unlock, weather was in 20’s
  • “Cross Traffic Warning” came on for no reason and remained on for about a mile, until I turned off engine and restarted.
  • There is an intermediary squeal (sounds like from steering wheel) when I start car and it is going into driver 1 position.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I found that the steering wheel doesn’t always go into position when my wife is with me. With her key. It’s never failed when it’s just me.
I did have the steering wheel replaced for squeal on my 14.
You are going to do what you want. These are all minor. Good luck. I don’t think there are any perfect cars. Especially with all the electronics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would go for a Lexus, but the AWD system cannot match what you would get with my 2020 MDX. If I wanted the RX, I would just get a Highlander if you are not getting anything functionally better. And to be honest, it still gives me Lexus vibes. I bought the MDX, for looks, superior AWD, and power. You can buy a RX with fake leather and wo/heated seats. Leather and Heated Seats are standard on the base MDX. Time will only tell if the new face lift RX is reliable.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Stearing wheel is an easy fix. The seat memory module is an old software version. Replace it and all will be fine.
But like elvisfan said you will do what you want. But I suspect you will find similar issues with the Lexus. Have tou gone to their forums and nosed around? As these cars get more gadgets they also get more prone to failures. Heck my antique Suzuki has only had one issue in 13 years. But it has far fewer creature comforts too.

·
Registered
86 Posts
From the department of redundancy department, I just can't get past Lexus' fugly front end. (Ditto on Audi's Q7.) Maybe the look appeals more to the younger set....

Anyway, looking forward to checking out the Genesis GV80, maybe after a year or so of production, with hopes they'll have a no-plug hybrid option.

·
Registered
66 Posts
From the department of redundancy department, I just can't get past Lexus' fugly front end. (Ditto on Audi's Q7.) Maybe the look appeals more to the younger set....

Anyway, looking forward to checking out the Genesis GV80, maybe after a year or so of production, with hopes they'll have a no-plug hybrid option.
we just got a new mdx hybrid advance package. When looking we were interested in the Lexus based on past experience my dad had. But we ruled it out based on the ugly front end. Add in the CVT on the hybrid and now it seems like lexus is more focused on smooth ride than handling on the RX had us looking at the MDX hybrid and new Audi Q5 plug in hybrid. After driving a regular Q5 and the MDX hybrid, the MDX won hands down. Never could even get a test drive on the Q5 hybrid, basically non to be had,they seem to move fast. However, IMHO the transmission difference between the MDX hybrid and non hybrid is pretty dramatic Hybrid transmission is fast shifting, smooth and seamless. The regular 9 speed MDX, not so. 9 speed seems to often take it's time deciding what to do under even moderate throttle.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Its a game of playing the odds. Statistically speaking based on some reliability surveys, Lexus will probably have fewer problems than Acura, and Acura will probably have few problems than Audi. We all going to base our choices on that balance of reliabilty, performace, comfort, features...

·
Registered
86 Posts
However, IMHO the transmission difference between the MDX hybrid and non hybrid is pretty dramatic Hybrid transmission is fast shifting, smooth and seamless.
The hybrid MDX checked a lot of boxes for me: non-plug in, the better transmission you mention, as well as the active suspension (now standard on all Advanced?) to name a few. Unfortunately, I have been pretty underwhelmed by the tech and overall quality - not enough to dump it (yet) but certainly enough to make me think about what the next ride will be.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I have owned the
I'm now looking at a new Lexus RX450H. I'm tired of my MDX constantly having problems. While not affecting drivability and still under warranty I don't want to have these or other problems after warranty expires.

I started having electronic problems about 7 months after purchasing my 2017 MDX Advance (new). It has been in the shop various times for different problems i.e. all warning lights came on twice, engine stop on breaking quit working - while I don't like it I had it repaired because it is related to the electronics.

Not taken in for repairs yet.
  • Steering wheel does not always move to driver 1 position when starting - 5 out of 6 starts on 3/2/20. Have to push driver 1 button.
  • In cold weather (20’s) trunk doesn’t open from exterior release. This has been replaced once before.
  • On 2 occasions, recently) driver’s door took several tries to unlock, weather was in 20’s
  • “Cross Traffic Warning” came on for no reason and remained on for about a mile, until I turned off engine and restarted.
  • There is an intermediary squeal (sounds like from steering wheel) when I start car and it is going into driver 1 position.
I have owned the 450h and had zero problems for over 40k miles. I am loving my MDX and have had no issues either.
In the end I will go back to a Lexus 450h for the performance, milage, free car washes and food while in service.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The hybrid MDX checked a lot of boxes for me: non-plug in, the better transmission you mention, as well as the active suspension (now standard on all Advanced?) to name a few. Unfortunately, I have been pretty underwhelmed by the tech and overall quality - not enough to dump it (yet) but certainly enough to make me think about what the next ride will be.

as far as technology for some of the functions, yes I agree, the MDX is behind in some places. Even my 2015 Duramax diesel truck has some nice technology not available on the MDX. more programmable features, supports ipods past 5gth gen, every USB port supports audio, so I can have two phones, a usb stick with music, and IPOD always connected and pick and choose, shows fuel used as well as MPG. WiFi and cell phone via Onstar. Remote start via phone. Far less expensive keys and remotes. (I'm not a real fan of keyless go, I'd rather have chip keys and remotes, but seems like everyone is moving to the keyless go). But then being somewhat dated, the MDX does have a CD player and we often listen to books on tapes on long trips. Beats having to rip them to a thumb drive.

since our biggest priorities are handling, ride quality and quite ride, the MDX hybrid is near or at the top compared to a non hybrid MDX, and Lexus, Audi. Audi and lexus non hybrid shifting is comparable to the MDX 9 speed, Lexus hybrid and CVT, no thanks. I've yet to drive a CVT that I liked. MDX is the quietest of the bunch, with less road noise than most any other car we drove.

As far as handling, my initial impression is that the MDX hybrid behaves much closer to a rear wheel drive car, which I like more anyway, than a FWD car. The non hybrid is closer to a FWD. The electric motor active torque mgmt to the rear end under fast cornering seems to offset the typical FWD push and understeer.

To me it also seems like they designed the hybrid more focused on improving handling and acceleration than fuel economy. It certainly seems that with 100+ HP of electric motors, they could have moved the transition to engine on under acceleration up and used the electric motors more. But that could sacrifice initial throttle response. One has to be VERY gentle on the throtlle to keep it in electric mode. Nice in parking lots and slow stop and go traffic but hard to stay on electric only from a stoplight. I've found for me accelerating normally to cruise speed then let it switch to electric is much easier than trying for slower acceleration and staying in electric mode.

Yes, the interiors may not be as updated and fancy as some others, but it's still a very nice interior with the advance package. The rear bucket seats are extremely comfortable with lots of leg room. Especially the rear heated seats with seperate rear AC/heat control.

Third seat, well, a place for kids and that's about it. But for us it just means more trunk room.

And lastly, with the MDX you can actually have a REAL spare tire AND can store a REAL tire!! Since we often travel where we are 50 miles or more from any town and 100+ from any that might have a tire shop, and often out of cell range, the inflator kit option or donut spare doesn't cut it. And the Audi spare is such that yes, it's better than the donut, but where does one put the other tire, it won't fit in the spare tire hole, I guess it goes on the passengers lap! if the trunk is full. While flats are pretty rare, seem like anytime we've had tire problems it's been in the middle of nowhere.

It will be interesting to see what the 2021 MDX is. I suspect it may be a big redesign like what was done with the RDX.

Quality, we shall see. Normally we keep vehicles 10 years or more and past experience with other brands has been good. 97 MB E class V-8 has 190K miles and nothing other than normal service and a few minor repairs, 2004 duramax diesel our son now has just turned 200K, again normal wear and tear and a few minor repairs, and a 95 S10 that got passed down and now has 250K+ with again nothing major. I will say the worst luck was a 95 accord V-6. before 100K it had alternator go, ABS go, AC go, but covered under warranty. I hope the MDX is closer to my other cars than the accord was.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I wonder if Acura will drop the 9 speed slushbox in the MDX in 2021 and switch to the 8 speed Dual Clutch/torque converter system. IMHO that could be a sweet combo. combo combines the best parts of a manual and automatic and gets rid of most/all the disadvantages of each.

On the hybrid the electric motor/dual clutch accomplishes the same thing. definitely makes for a nice system.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have had all 3 cars, a 2019 RX450HL, 2019 MDX Advance/Ent, 2019 Advance/Hybrid and now a 2020 Pilot EX-l.

I took a $5k hit and sold the lexus back to get the mdx back. The awd system SUCKS, I take the same turn at a fast speed with the with the lexus that I did on the mdx and it was slipping. I felt so cramped in the lexus despite the HL model. Also the CVT transmission just sucks, it's a loud constant drone, believe it or not, the mdx was quieter. The depreciation on the higher tier lexus drop fast, when I called around to sell it, I was given numerous low ball offers because most dealer look at the packages as one, not all the add ons within that package that I had such as led headlights, tail lights and other options.

The best driving experience was the advance/hybrid, best shifting and power but I hated the stop/go feature and the no towing. I left acura all together because of the lack of technology, nothing about acura is advanced in my opinion. I went with a pilot because the ex-l has the best 6 speed transmission that is reliable, the space is big and I don't feel as cramped. The awd is almost the same except for tuning and it has a nice infotainment system. Just stick with the ex-l and below, anything above has the dreaded zf-9 transmission and other issues.

There are many new vehicles coming out within this and next year but I don't buy first gen cars due to the likelihood of issues for the first 2 years so in my opinion, the pilot is the best choice at this current state.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I wonder if Acura will drop the 9 speed slushbox in the MDX in 2021 and switch to the 8 speed Dual Clutch/torque converter system. IMHO that could be a sweet combo. combo combines the best parts of a manual and automatic and gets rid of most/all the disadvantages of each.

On the hybrid the electric motor/dual clutch accomplishes the same thing. definitely makes for a nice system.
The service mgr at my dealership seems to be convinced Acura is going to put the 10spd from the new RDX into the next MDX, but take that with a grain of salt. What does he know?

·
Registered
66 Posts
The service mgr at my dealership seems to be convinced Acura is going to put the 10spd from the new RDX into the next MDX, but take that with a grain of salt. What does he know?
when we were looking at cars we did drive a 2020 RDX with the 10 speed. IMHO it was better than the MDX 9 speed and better than the Audi Q5 non hybrid, but still not anywhere as good as the MDX hybrid dual clutch.

Acura knows how to do a dual clutch right. Some (well maybe most) others don't. but the combo of electric motor or torque converter with the dual clutch is a fantastic combo IMHO. A disadvantage to the dual clutch is it is basically a sequential gearbox. So dropping down more than one gear means multiple shifts rather than one that can be acomplished with most automatics. But it is still faster downshifts than the Acura 9 speed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bought 2014 MDX in April 2014.
Being an loyal honda owners of several Honda vehicles, I was highly satisfied.
This MDX, however, just disgusted me. I'm done with Acura/Honda products, period.

Problems since new:
1) engine noise. TSB timing belt rubs against casing
2) clicking sound when turning at low speed. Struts replaced.
3) rattles/creaks. Dealer fixed 5-6 of them, and gave up on the rest
4) middle bench seats making creaking sound when occupied. Seat springs were replaced.
5) torque converter/VCM judder, causes bulkhead to buzz even louder. Gives junky Feeling
6)timing belt auto tensioner gave up right after power train warranty expired. Another hassle.
7)brake disk warped at low mileage. Dealer refused to honor warranty. Bought a third party pair from Amazon, total solid till now.

Enough for now, not interested to continue the list....

Most likely to go with Lexus for next one, though not a perfect choice either. For now, after going through all these, reliability trumps all other consideration. Thanks to Acura who has successfully managed to take away the fun of owning a vehicle out of me.

·
Registered
525 Posts
If you want Lexus and want a legit 3 row suv if you can afford to wait a few yrs I'd wait for Lexus to revamp their suv lineup. They are working on a legit mid size 3 row competitor to the q7/xc90/mdx as well as more new suv models they plan on rolling out over the next few years

Honestly if the rx350l was bigger and had android auto I'd probably have bought it over the mdx

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
258 Posts
Acura does have its work cut for them . It’s not luxury vehicle. My 17 had too many electronic issues nav not working , smart key access going out .
Dealer just don’t want to do anything unless they provided with TSB otherwise couldn’t replicate issue .

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
I have had all 3 cars, a 2019 RX450HL, 2019 MDX Advance/Ent, 2019 Advance/Hybrid and now a 2020 Pilot EX-l.

I took a $5k hit and sold the lexus back to get the mdx back. The awd system SUCKS, I take the same turn at a fast speed with the with the lexus that I did on the mdx and it was slipping. I felt so cramped in the lexus despite the HL model. Also the CVT transmission just sucks, it's a loud constant drone, believe it or not, the mdx was quieter. The depreciation on the higher tier lexus drop fast, when I called around to sell it, I was given numerous low ball offers because most dealer look at the packages as one, not all the add ons within that package that I had such as led headlights, tail lights and other options.

The best driving experience was the advance/hybrid, best shifting and power but I hated the stop/go feature and the no towing. I left acura all together because of the lack of technology, nothing about acura is advanced in my opinion. I went with a pilot because the ex-l has the best 6 speed transmission that is reliable, the space is big and I don't feel as cramped. The awd is almost the same except for tuning and it has a nice infotainment system. Just stick with the ex-l and below, anything above has the dreaded zf-9 transmission and other issues.

There are many new vehicles coming out within this and next year but I don't buy first gen cars due to the likelihood of issues for the first 2 years so in my opinion, the pilot is the best choice at this current state.
Sorry,I’m not taking car buying advice from someone who basically buys 4 cars in one year. You don’t have to buy a car to know it can’t tow or that the hybrid sometimes shuts the gas engine down.
good luck.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I can live with the Audi front end, but NOT the Lexus. When is Lexus going to realize that their polarizing front end is causing lost sales?? I can understand that they want to shed the "stodgy" appearance, but surely they can do a dynamic front end that is just not that Predator horrible. If they had a nicer front, I'd probably get rid of my 17 Advance also.

·
Registered
261 Posts
By-the-way, the 20 Highlander's heated steering wheel (on the Limited and Platinum) only heats at 3 and 9 o'clock on the wheel. It's really weird in cold weather, when you go around a turn, wheel shifts from cold to hot while turning. And you need to use a phone app for remote starting. It's free for first year and then you pay for remote starting your car. Unbelievable.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts