Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought my 05 mdx about 3 years ago and have had nothing but problems with this thing. I took a loan out of the bank and still owe a stupid amount of money otherwise I would have junked it by now even though I do love this vehicle this specific one is a POS. Anyways. Not sure where to even begin here so I will put a list of everything over replaced at the bottom of this. So I was driving 2 and a half hours on vacation and I started smelling a weird smell looked down my A/T temp light was on. I pulled over let it cool down started it and the light was off. Drove another half hour to a parking lot for scared because I had my kid in the car with me and called my step dad to come tow it the 2 hours back home. Since then I havent tried to drive it and that was the end of June. Until yesterday went to go start it battery was completely dead which is super weird because its brand new never had an issue with this battery. Anyways got it jumped it started I drove it through town didnt have any issues parked it now today battery is dead again. Now a few months ago I replaced the engine because my last engine blew up due to my own fault of not taking care of a power steering leak and my timing jumped and blew up my engine. When I replaced the engine I also replaced the torque converter because I was having some like shuddering or slipping when going from 2nd and 3rd OR 1st and 2nd. Was told it was the torque converter. Now it's still "slipping" right after replacing the engine there was what I swore was tranny fluid leaking now a huge leak but enough to notice but every single fluid level tested perfect from myself and 2 mechanics. Then all the sudden whatever was leaking stopped. Then I left to go on vacation and that's what happened.
Also I have like a handful of dash lights on and they wont go off.
here is everything I've done to this thing recently

New engine
Torque converter
All fluids oil tranny antifreeze and power steering
Radiator (got punctured when replacing engine)
Steering rack
Tie rod ends
Shocks
Breaks
Rotors
Caliper
New battery last winter

If someone could help me figure this thing out I am so over dealing with this thing and it's terrible because I actually like this vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh water pump was replaced as well probably some other random things I forgot about right now but I covered the main things.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Damnnnn… Fix that and sell it fast! that thing is DOA!!..
Also fixing a torque converter to fix slipping? that was a sweet rip-off... Slipping has nothing to do with the torque converter not at least with the known issues the 1G MDX has with transmissions.

Reactions: AutisMDXTypeS

·
Premium Member
2004 Acura MDX Touring w/ RES & NAV
577 Posts
I had what some people call the “under 30 shudder” (around 30-40MPH), it would slip shift or shudder around that speed. Three times to re- re- re- repair the transmission. Totally rebuilt trans and it’s tight but now “STRONG LIKE BULL!!” Many lights on and off and all kinds of WEIRD stuff happened during the “transmission chronicles of 2010!” (that’s how me and my wife refer to it!). After that...AMAZING CAR! Love it! You have a rebuilt engine in it too?! [said in Yoda voice] Expensive journey you’ve been on young Padawan, near finish line you maybe near!”
LOL

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have to agree that the torque converter had nothing to do with the slippage.
I would suggest you find 2 new mechanics and have them check the car out and compare what each one of them tells you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
593 Posts
A little bit hard to follow the OP but a couple suggestions.

If it runs, warm the engine up (5-7 mins) and check the AT fluid level again. Make sure it’s between the marks. If not, add until correct.

If you’re near an Autozone or OReilly, they can read the dash check engine light codes for you for free.

AZ or O’s can also check the battery and alternator. If the battery tests bad, return/exchange it. Cable connections or the alternator could be bad but you need the test first. There are common probs with the first gen X too that might be draining the battery.

Let us know what they find re codes and battery test and we might be able to help.

In the meantime, Yelp a few more shops that specialize in Honda and Acura.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
A few random thoughts.

Batteries go dead in modern cars in a week or two - just the nature of the beast. There are electronics that are "on" all the time.

The guy who told you to replace the torque converter did you no favors. The real problem is almost certainly gummed up / worn shift solenoids in the transmission, though sometimes just doing a transmission fluid change will "fix" a bad tranny.

I'm betting your leak stopped because your fluid is way low. You can either fix the leak, or you can start saving up for a new transmission or car. I'd recommend fixing the leak.

And it's helpful to describe WHICH dash lights are on if you'd like intelligent advice on your problem....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tranny dipstick still tests perfect. Also the dash lights that are on are
Check engine
VTM-4
VSA
Fog lights (no the button is not on)
I'm pretty sure there is atleast one more if not two but I cannot think of them off the top of my head.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
I'd recommend having the OBD codes read at an auto parts store (a lot of them will read them for free). Write down the codes - they'll help with the diagnosis a LOT.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Getting the exact codes will help us help you, especially as it seems you have two issues (electrical, and transmission) As habby said, must autoparts stores will do it for free. A couple of things come to mind on the transmission:
1. Acura radiators of the time we noted for leaking out internally between tranny and coolant (That is the one radiator has two chambers one for engine coolant, and one for tranny fluid and a leak develops between them) You mentioned the radiator was replaced but maybe you got a bad one. Check to make sure you don't have evidence of tranny oil in your water. Also, if they didn't give you new lines when the radiator was changed it could be as simple as coroded or pinched line making your tranny cooler ineffective. Worst case scenario the didn't give you the proper replacement radiator and so it is not connected to a cooler at all.
2. Your drive system has three different fluids if I remember correctly. There is the transmission fluid, transfer case fluid, and rear diff fluid. If they haven't been regularly maintained, or one wasn't filled properly when you had the work done, that could contribute to excessive heat, and the VTM warning.
3. Battery going dead repeatedly. Chances are you might have gone in the back when the problems started. Make sure you didn't leave the rear hatch light switched on.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Try swapping relays in the engine bay. I had the same issue with the dying battery years ago. Simply swapping relays around corrected the issue. Good luck with everything else.... Maybe someone knows a guy who can make it disappear....?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Fog lights? There is no fog light indicator in the dash is there?

Also, the dead battery - does your bluetooth work? That bluetooth module (HFL as Honda calls it Hand Free Link) is famous for shorting out inside and having constant drain on the battery. It's easy to disconnect (it's up in the ceiling behind the reading lights / sunroof button). Disconnect that sucker and I can almost guarantee the dead battery will go away. Also, the dash warning lights...you sometimes get all those lights when the battery is weak - so they may just be related to the battery issues.

·
Registered
271 Posts
RCY, there's a light on the fog light button when it's on, which is on the dash near the drivers left knee.

I don't think The MDX had bluetooth in 2005, so this would not solve anything.....?

If the dash lights go wonky at times, it's what happens when the alternator goes bad. Have you had it tested at the auto store for free? I've already replaced ours about three times. 15 minute job after the first time!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Yes my 05 has HFL it is the same unit used even in the new MDX they never update the unit. It is known in all 3 generations to fail and cause battery drain. The cheap and easy solution is to just unplug the unit like I did in mine, or you can try and repair/replace, there are allot of guides on this issue, I just don't have the time for it. This is common on many Acura and Honda models.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
FYI - I have a buddy with a 2008 Honda Odyssey who needed to swap the alternator. Since I did my 2004 MDX alternator in the parking lot of a hotel in Texas in about 15 minutes, I told him "come on over". Let's just say that the MDX is a pleasure compared to the contortions required to swap out that Ody alternator! It's ALMOST necessary to pull the fans, AC lines, etc., unless you're lazy and stubborn like me (in which case you substitute brute force, twisting, pulling and grunting for proper process.

I agree - a LOT of things go south when your alternator is going out - it's the first thing I suggest checking when a bunch of unrelated symptoms all pop up at the same time.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts