Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard the same thing on lots of Honda Pilots, and on my MDX lately. On low speed, the front fan is pretty quiet, but as you turn it up higher, a "rumble" (or buzz or hum, depending on the severity) gets worse and worse, and in my case on "way high" the dash was lightly vibrating. Kind of annoying.

Fortunately, it's dead simple to remove the fan assembly - I pulled out the right kick panel to get easier access (since it takes only seconds to remove), and folded the carpet over for even better access. I've read what a tough job it is to get the rear of the three 8mm bolts out, but it's really simple if you have a 1/4" wobble extension (that's the kind with the rounded "snout" which lets the socket wobble so you don't have to approach a nut or bolt from a 90° angle). So after about 5 minutes, I saw this:

Clean out the fan, turn it on to check (be careful though - the torque can twist it out of your hand and you can break the fragile fan blades), another few minutes and it's back up under the dash, blowing loads of QUIET cool air!

·
Read Only
272 Posts
I had the same issue which I tackled a few months back. The fan was too loud for comfort. Turns out there was many leaves and debris in there from the crepe myrtles I park under next to the driveway. A perfect time to replace the cabin filter!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've heard the same thing on lots of Honda Pilots, and on my MDX lately. On low speed, the front fan is pretty quiet, but as you turn it up higher, a "rumble" (or buzz or hum, depending on the severity) gets worse and worse, and in my case on "way high" the dash was lightly vibrating. Kind of annoying.

Fortunately, it's dead simple to remove the fan assembly - I pulled out the right kick panel to get easier access (since it takes only seconds to remove), and folded the carpet over for even better access. I've read what a tough job it is to get the rear of the three 8mm bolts out, but it's really simple if you have a 1/4" wobble extension (that's the kind with the rounded "snout" which lets the socket wobble so you don't have to approach a nut or bolt from a 90° angle). So after about 5 minutes, I saw this:

Clean out the fan, turn it on to check (be careful though - the torque can twist it out of your hand and you can break the fragile fan blades), another few minutes and it's back up under the dash, blowing loads of QUIET cool air!
Thanks for posting. I am having that trouble also and look forward to seeing if that will help my fan noise.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm betting that'll fix it - it's a common problem - there's apparently a pretty easy path for leaves and debris to take to get to your fan. But as I mentioned, it's really not difficult at all to drop the fan and clean it out (or replace it, if the problem is the fan itself).

·
Registered
88 Posts
2 pine needles caused this vibration in mine. I expected to see a lot of debris in there but no. Just two pine needles and an acorn. I figured there would be more than that after 200k

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm betting that'll fix it - it's a common problem - there's apparently a pretty easy path for leaves and debris to take to get to your fan. But as I mentioned, it's really not difficult at all to drop the fan and clean it out (or replace it, if the problem is the fan itself).
I found you to be right! The fan was filled something that looked like insulation. I didn't have the wobble tool suggested, and that one screw was the biggest pain to get out. The rest was fairly easy. It's running quietly now. I'm so glad for this forum to find out things like this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2 pine needles caused this vibration in mine. I expected to see a lot of debris in there but no. Just two pine needles and an acorn. I figured there would be more than that after 200k
I found you to be right! The fan was filled something that looked like insulation. I didn't have the wobble tool suggested, and that one screw was the biggest pain to get out. The rest was fairly easy. It's running quietly now. I'm so glad for this forum to find out things like this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for posting. I am having that trouble also and look forward to seeing if that will help my fan noise.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts