Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would you go for the swapping of the factory speakers for the Infinity 652's + Polk GNX(and keep the factory headunit/amps), or instead running an amp (something like the JL Audio 300/4) through the factory speakers? I've been told that running a good amp (around 50-75w per channel x4) would make a world of difference, whereas the speaker swap would only be a modest improvement.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
It is only my opinion, but , I dont think that there is any way you will get much improvement with an amp and the factory speakers. Someone posted a link whereby you can see that the factory speakers cost $15! And I got a feelin there is plenty of margin in that price! They are horrible.

Having said that, I have upgraded all four doors to the Infinities and I also installed bass blockers in the front doors. I have not replaced the sub, and I may not. I am happy with the way it sounds now.

I may still have an amp installed, but I am not sure yet.

I would strongly suggest that the speaker upgrade is by far the biggest improvement available.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Maik,

Is there really that big of a difference in the speakers? I'm not a super audiophile, and I'm happy with the sound out of the stock speakers, so would a novice like me really notice the sound difference? The price of the infinities aren't unreasonable, and if the difference is sound is that great, then I would consider the investment.

Let me know what you think.

-WL

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
02SSmdx said:
Maik,

Is there really that big of a difference in the speakers? I'm not a super audiophile, and I'm happy with the sound out of the stock speakers, so would a novice like me really notice the sound difference? The price of the infinities aren't unreasonable, and if the difference is sound is that great, then I would consider the investment.

Let me know what you think.

-WL
I would also say that I am not a super audiophile either. Having said that, yes, the speaker upgrade is very much worth the investment. I bought the 4 speakers for approx $150, the wiring harnesses and bass blockers from Circuit City for about $30 and I even installed it all myself following earlier threads which were extremely helpful.
I was so skeptical that I made absolutely sure that I would be able to put the stock speakers back in just in case I could perceive no improvement. They will never go back in!

Go for it, it is not expensive and it is easy to do...with remarkable results.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had my doubts whether the factory speakers had much room for improvement, even if driven by a top-quality amp. I was guessing you'd probably have to do both the speakers & amp if you wanted a significant improvement. Just thought there might be a way to save some $$ for future upgrades, and have it still come out respectable.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Opps, didn't see Maik's post. So you thought the improvement was significant? Just curious, did you also swap out the sub?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I must agree with Maik. I am very picky on sound so, I know I am bias. However, even a nonaudiophile should be able to tell the difference in the speaker upgrade. The stock speakers are just not the quality of good aftermarket speakers. I would not recommend upgrading just the amps. I think you could run the risk of blowing the stock speakers or presenting a bad impendence load to your new amp.

Just my .02

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
DaveI said:
Opps, didn't see Maik's post. So you thought the improvement was significant? Just curious, did you also swap out the sub?
No. I have considered it, but I do not believe that it is as low quality as the other speakers. I am quite content right now with the way the system sounds. My next upgrade will be an amp, but I am not in the same hurry that I was to get the Infinities in.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
"I think you could run the risk of blowing the stock speakers or presenting a bad impendence load to your new amp."

I agree, it's hard to imagine the stock speakers lasting very long with, being as cheaply made as they are. Didn't consider the impedence load to the amp; that's a good point.

Guess I'll try the Infinities & dynamat approach and see how that goes....

·
Registered
38 Posts
those paper cone speakers are probably rated to handle about 30 watts....a JL 300/4 will pumping 75wpc...this is not a good idea.

Have you also given any thought about putting that kind of power through the stock wiring....Any guesses on the gauge size? I'm guessing it is 20-22 gauge...I was running 14 gauge in my last setup with a JL 300/4. I would suggest if you add an amp, running at least 16 gauge wiring to the speakers.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, the stock speakers probably are rated at about 25-30. That's why it's puzzling that someone who does car stereo for a living would recommend the setup I mentioned. If I do the math, 75 watts rms or 150 peak would add up to four (or five) blown paper cones in no time.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
hmm...

DaveI said:
... puzzling that someone who does car stereo for a living would recommend the setup I mentioned. ...four (or five) blown paper cones in no time.
You know, the MARKUP on amps is LOTS higher than the markup on speakers...

Also the LABOR hours for speakers are not nearly as INFLATED as the hours (or less) for an amp...

And when you would come back with BLOWN STOCK SPEAKERS you get hit with another labor charge too...

Not that puzzling afterall.

Anybody who thinks the stock speakers are not as low budget as possible is either a) LYING b) never seen/heard the cheap @$$ OEM MDX speakers c) TONE DEAF!

Trust the MANY members of acuramdx.org who've switched -- the difference is VERY noticeable and WELL WORTH the modest investment of time/money!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bose External Amp ?

Just for confirmation, does the Bose have an external amp? I will be replacing the speakers for sure (based on the info on this and other threads), but I've read (I think) some conflicting info on whether an external amp exist or if the speakers are simply powered by the head-unit. I don't want to touch the head unit, but really want to improve the overall sound of the system. From past experience, speakers provide the biggest bang especially given how poor the ones with the Bose systems are. Given the price of the car, I think spending $500 or so to imporve the sound is well worth it.

I'm reading quite a bit about the Infinity 652 and Kenwood 6000. I'm guessing those are popular due to good sensitivity and realitely low price. Has anyone tested anything else worth considering? Sensitivity is especially important if the head unit is driving them.

Lots of the message I read are bashing Bose. Certainly they deserve some but ultametly it's Acura to blame for such a poor audio system in their 'premium' set-up. It's Acura that gives the spec's to Bose and ultamely Acura that approves the system. My wife's Subaru system sounds much better and it cost much less. Acura designed a great vehicle in the MDX but whoever selected the Bose system should be fired, or at least know that so many people are dissatisfied with it's performance. Sorry for the ranting....

·
Registered
327 Posts
aquan,
Yes, the MDX Bose system has two external amps - one for the door speakers that is located in the center console on the passenger side and another that powers the so-called "sub" and the twiddler in the rear headliner. It is located in the rear panel slightly forward of the "sub". I have seen them and they are as cheap as the factory speakers.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Yes, the Bose has a separate power amp, but I believe it is driven by speaker-level signals from the head unit, not line-level (the connector pinouts are the same on the head unit to the amp as they are on the standard system to the speakers).

FYI, it's not usually high-power amps that fry speakers, it's low-power amps; when they're played too loud, they go into clipping, which puts out horrendous high-frequency noise which quickly fries tweeters and sometimes midrange drivers. Unless you drive a high-power amp to tremendously-loud levels, you won't fry drivers with it -- and at those levels you can't hear horns or sirens, and will soon go deaf.

renov8r -- what kind of music do you normally listen to? I listen mainly to all-acoustic classical (in fact, I record it live-on-location many times yearly, so I KNOW what it sounds like), and the stock non-Bose speakers sound quite accurate to me. I suspect they are low-budget, but I don't think they're bad FOR THE KINDS OF MUSIC I LISTEN TO, and I'm NOT tone-deaf (just old!)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the responses.
Too bad Bose choose to go with high level inputs for thier amps, which I'm assuming means the head-unit does not have low level (RCA) outputs which is what most quality amps need.

I won't change the amps unless I change the entire head-unit. I'll go with replaceing the 4 door speakers first and then try it with and without the tweeters, sub and overhanging speaker connected.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts