Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the timing belt package done, drive belt, timing belt and water pump. That was it even though I asked for the idler pulley and tensioner adjuster, they "forgot" but the master tech said it wasn't necessary. I think he only said that because he didn't feel like taking everything apart again. So I just want to make sure these two aren't necessary because I think most comes with just the two belts and water pump. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I replaced both parts, but old ones looked fine. No way to know whether yours will last another 105K miles.

I'm sure they'll be happy to re-enter and correct at your expense. If this was written in the work order, they should correct the problem w/o issue. If not in work order, you pay.

good luck

·
Registered
51 Posts
Pulley I usually don't worry about. Never had one spin rough on many different high mileage honda's. Auto tensioner is another story. Just did a timing belt on an '05 mdx w/ a lil over 100k and the tensioner was leaking. Fortunately the part was already bought because the plan was to replace it anyways. I pretty much change them out w/ the timing belts.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I had to have the idley pulley replaced on my '10 MDX at just over 50,000 miles. When it's on it's way out, trust me, you'll hear it.

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
I just got the timing belt package done, drive belt, timing belt and water pump. That was it even though I asked for the idler pulley and tensioner adjuster, they "forgot" but the master tech said it wasn't necessary. I think he only said that because he didn't feel like taking everything apart again. So I just want to make sure these two aren't necessary because I think most comes with just the two belts and water pump. Thanks.
On one of our other vehicles (a Honda Pilot), we did not have those replaced and we are going on 160K with no issues.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I looked on the invoice when I had my TL and it stated that it was only the timing belt, drive belt, water pump, and hydraulic tensioner replaced, which was what was replaced on my mdx. I just saw packages that included the idler pulley and tensioner adjuster online and thought it was required. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Only the timing belt is required. The rest are done because it's very easy to change this stuff while you are changing the timing belt so you are really just paying for parts. Just good preventive maintenance.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Only the timing belt is required. The rest are done because it's very easy to change this stuff while you are changing the timing belt so you are really just paying for parts. Just good preventive maintenance.
Exactly what I was told by my Service adviser.

·
Registered
121 Posts
sound to listen for?

I had to have the idley pulley replaced on my '10 MDX at just over 50,000 miles. When it's on it's way out, trust me, you'll hear it.
Skw,
what type of sound were you hearing? Was it a screeching or constant grinding sound?

Reason I ask, I have a new to me '06 mdx with a little north of 77k on it. I notice a little rhythmic chirp at idle from the passenger side of the engine where all the pulleys and the tensioner is. It seems to go away after the engine warms up. It doesn't get louder as you rev the engine and the increased rpms drown it out. Just wondering if one of my pulley bearings is starting to go.

·
Registered
4 Posts
does anyone here by chance know what kind of bolt secures the Idler pulley? I'm about to replace my timing belt and am replacing all the other parts that come in the AISIN kit, however I am reading that it does not come with the Idler Pulley bolt that the Hayes manual says should be replaced. Thank you for your help. BTW I have an 05 MDX

1 - 12 of 12 Posts