Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2020 MDX Tech SH-AWD
25 Posts
I wonder what the trade off is for more MPG vs wear on the starter and battery etc. I was told that starting a car used more fuel then letting it run. But those were in the Carburetor Days.

Heck I miss the ability of the transmission letting me gain 10 to 15 mph going down a hill. Now if I take my off off the accelerator, the car actually slows down going downhill.:confused:

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I wonder how much EPA mileage requirements and controls are putting limits on how easy it is to disable idle stop.
I've seen where there are specific agreements between automakers and the EPA on this issue. Apparently impacts various credits the manufacturers can receive. Subaru's is buried three layers deep in the infotainment system and resets every time the car is restarted. GM doesn't allow any way to cancel stop/start on many of their models.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I wonder what the trade off is for more MPG vs wear on the starter and battery etc. I was told that starting a car used more fuel then letting it run. But those were in the Carburetor Days.

Heck I miss the ability of the transmission letting me gain 10 to 15 mph going down a hill. Now if I take my off off the accelerator, the car actually slows down going downhill.:confused:
The batteries are higher capacity and the starters much more robust. In some cases they're completely different designs. Starting a cold engine uses more fuel but that's not the case when it's warm.

·
Registered
12 Posts
In 17 stop/start came with the advanced package. My 17 tech does not have it. Personally I’m glad it wasn’t included. My f150 has it and the engine shuts off immediately upon coming to a full stop, even at a quick stop sign. All of these systems should have programmable delays

·
Registered
2020 MDX Tech SH-AWD
25 Posts
Found this interesting bit of info:

In fact, third-party solutions that aim to bypass engine auto-stop-start often take advantage of the open hood workaround What these systems do is wire a timer relay to the hood sensor. When the vehicle is not running or in accessory mode, the relay causes the ECU to “see” an open hood regardless of what the sensor actually reads. Once the car starts, the relay closes, correctly indicating the hood’s status as closed. This prevents the engine auto-stop-start system from operating while guaranteeing that the pesky open hood indicator light disappears with the rest of the warnings that flicker to life upon starting a vehicle with an open hood.​

Also read up that if you can permanently disable the Auto Start Stop that the EPA requires the automaker to run the drive cycles with it on and then with it off. Then average the results together for the MPG shown on the window sticker. As this would most likely be a lower mpg, it would negatively impact the corporate average fuel rating that they have to achieve.

FWIW, the F-150 is simple to bypass by plugging a plug tester into the trailer plug. The truck thinks it is towing so it disables it on its own. Wonder if this trick would also works on the MDX with a tow hitch wiring harness installed.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Zito, I’ve heard about this trick with the F150. I do use it the few times I have the truck in the city though. Generally it’s only an annoyance the first time it happens, which reminds me to turn it off. But on something like the Acura, you’d expect this to at least have a constant on/off mode in the settings window, as almost every other feature does

·
Registered
117 Posts
My 2017 Sport Hybrid Advance has it and I do not mind it. Granted, that is probably bc I can start off in all-electric mode instead of having to wait for the engine to fire up.

·
Registered
2020 MDX Tech SH-AWD
25 Posts
I have driven my MDX exactly on 4 trips. And I now find myself doing a “Off E brake, On Brake Hold, Off Auto S/S, Select gear”. Four button presses to get rolling. My wife was like “Drive already!”

Waiting on the IdleStop to come in. Than it will just be two buttons. Brake Hold and Drive. Found out that selecting a gear and pressing the accelerator auto releases the e-brake.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
718 Posts
I have driven my MDX exactly on 4 trips. And I now find myself doing a “Off E brake, On Brake Hold, Off Auto S/S, Select gear”. Four button presses to get rolling. My wife was like “Drive already!”
My parent's says the same thing too 😂

Brake hold does its job and it actually worked when I got rear ended. It just gets me 3 button presses to start driving (Drive, Disengage parking brake, engage brake hold).

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Just brake pedal, push button start, and reverse or drive for me (maybe raise the headrest/seat belt height and adjust rear view mirror if the wife was the last driver). I leave the front parking sensors and road departure warning on. Everything else is set to auto (IDS Sport mode, auto climate, auto seat heat/cooling). No Auto Stop/Start button to push with the hybrid. Only use the parking brake if I park on an incline because the 7DCT will clunk into gear without it.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
718 Posts
Just what is the purpose of the brake hold?
It literally HOLDS the brake while you are stopped at a signal light. I had that enabled and engaged when I was hit by a Tacoma. Acura said the brake hold did its job.

·
Registered
2020 MDX Tech SH-AWD
25 Posts
Once you have a vehicle with Brake Hold it gets annoying driving one without. I know First world Problems.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts