Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The salesman said it has it but my 2017 MDX AWD Tech I just bought does not have a button for idle stop, just Dynamic Mode. It seems there should be a button by the D/S button but mine is missing. I hate idle stop and if this car does not have it I'll be even more happy with the purchase.

·
Registered
2020 MDX Tech SH-AWD
32 Posts

Kind of hard to miss the button. If i recall it was an option for MY17. It became standard in MY18+ vehichles. You are lucky if you dont have it. I am currently searching for methods to disable it.

·
Super Moderator
1,730 Posts
The auto idle stop might only be available on the 2017 Advance Package.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
738 Posts
Why in the world DO you want an auto stop feature? I am glad Acura made this an Advanced feature only.

@ZitoMD There should be kits that either disable the dang feature or just kill it completely.

Reactions: al-n-ak

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
The auto idle stop might only be available on the 2017 Advance Package.
Correct. On the non hybrid. The hybrid has idle stop. No way to turn it off except Sport + mode.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Found this: idlestopper com. Looks promising.
I've installed that and it works as described. It would have been a 15 minute installation except I discovered a faulty power socket in our front center console.

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
Correct. On the non hybrid. The hybrid has idle stop. No way to turn it off except Sport + mode.
I've noticed I can switch the 7DCT from "D" to "S" at a stop and that turns on the NA V-6 everytime I've done it (IDS always in Sport).

No Auto Stop/Start (ASS) button for the Hybrid; but, it can have a smoother to invisible engagement compared to the 3.5L MDX. I sometimes don't even notice if I'm on EV and/or hybrid power unless I look at the rpms in city driving. Feels more like a transition from EV-to-hybrid programming feature that mimics ASS at a stop if conditions/settings are right.

I don't know how similar the hybrid ASS system is to the 3.5L system since the hybrid ASS can engage at any speed; including, hwy speeds. Does the hybrid use the starter for ASS at a stop; but, uses the 7DCT+electric motor to start the 3.0L when driving for the EV/hybrid transitions? I've had the NA V-6 turn off when driving down hwy declines at 80 mph. Maybe the starter is being used to restart the NA V-6 at those speeds?

·
Registered
243 Posts
no anytime you select "S" instead of "D" idle stop goes away
No, on the hybrid anytime it is in "S" mode rather than "D" idle stop is disabled. (hit D/S button twice to go into S) That goes for comfort, normal, and sport Mode. S+ always disables idle stop.

·
Registered
506 Posts
So idle stop became more prevalent with MDX's the further you went into the model years. My '17 Tech did not have the auto stop for the idle. However an '18 Tech loaner I got did have the auto stop button. So I believe Acura introduced it into the Tech level between those 2 years. My '19 Advance has the button, and I'd MUCH prefer to have it the way my '17 Tech was. So, yea, you should be a happy camper to not have it. :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
So idle stop became more prevalent with MDX's the further you went into the model years. My '17 Tech did not have the auto stop for the idle. However an '18 Tech loaner I got did have the auto stop button. So I believe Acura introduced it into the Tech level between those 2 years. My '19 Advance has the button, and I'd MUCH prefer to have it the way my '17 Tech was. So, yea, you should be a happy camper to not have it. :)
I have a 20 Advance with it. My 17 Tech did not.
I too wish there was a way to disable it, but I now just get in a routine to hit the disable button right after starting and placing into gear. Even if I forget, no big deal, I can barely notice when it starts backup from turning off. Much smoother than some Fords and other cars I’ve been in.
No big deal (to me) once you get used to it.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
738 Posts
I too wish there was a way to disable it, but I now just get in a routine to hit the disable button right after starting and placing into gear. Even if I forget, no big deal, I can barely notice when it starts backup from turning off. Much smoother than some Fords and other cars I’ve been in.
I've just driven a soccer mom Jeep last month as a rental, and that has the stop start feature and its sooo noticeable. My mom (who sits in the back while we go as a family, since I drive now), noticed the engine was off while waiting for the signal light.

·
Registered
2020 MDX Tech SH-AWD
32 Posts
I've installed that and it works as described. It would have been a 15 minute installation except I discovered a faulty power socket in our front center console.
Good to know. I will place an order than. Seems silly to have to add a piece of hardware. With my X5, I just had to “code” it to be off by default.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Somebody here recently posted a link to a site that sells the electronic module to turn off auto stop/start system. Not expensive, but you have to remove the top of the console to install. Nice not to have to press the button, but inconvenient to do and one always wonders if there could be side effects. I just need to condition myself to turn it off when I start the car. I believe the auto stop/start also shortens battery life. Remember, in 2017 the Advance models also got an AGM battery, which the lower models didn't have. This right there tells you something about the relationship between auto stop/start and the battery.

·
Registered
2017 Acura MDX Tech FWD
738 Posts
Good to know. I will place an order than. Seems silly to have to add a piece of hardware. With my X5, I just had to “code” it to be off by default.
That's what I like about BMWs; everything can be coded to turn things off or on. Only wished this was true for Honda products.

·
Registered
963 Posts
The feature was on my 17 Advance and on my 20 Advance as well. The 20 version of the feature is much smoother than the 17 version.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Yes the Euro's usually give more control which is one thing I miss...many things I don't miss as well. I had a Cadillac rental awhile back and there was no way to disable the auto-start at all. I even googled because I figured I had to be missing something but nope...you can find all kinds of raging cadillac owners because it indeed can't be overridden.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I wonder how much EPA mileage requirements and controls are putting limits on how easy it is to disable idle stop.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts