Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone:

I just got the dreaded Check Engine + VTM4 light. The light came on and then cleared itself after a few hours. I plugged in my CarChip and it gave a code P0505, which is an Idle Air problem.

Does this mean my Idle Air Control Valve is dead? Is there anyway I can clean it up? I live in California where emission components are supposed to be good for 7 years or 70,000 miles, and I'm almost there.

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.S. I do have the CarChip E/X. Are there any parameters I can monitor that will help pinpoint the problem?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Check your warranty booklet -- some emissions items have a longer-than-50K-mile warranty. If that doesn't help, call your dealer and ask the service manager if it's covered.

If the IAC is gummed up, a few well-aimed spritzes with WD-40 and/or spray Gumout may take care of it.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Frostyra. I'll try the Gumout solution first. I can't stand having another person touch my car ;)

·
Registered
327 Posts
My IAC died today. Was on a trip home and thought my transmission was going. The x would jerk at highway speed anytime I accelerated or decellerated a bit. Only when I got off the interstate and came to a stop did I realize it was an engine problem. Had trouble coming to a stop and had to put it in neutral after I realized the engine was running at high speed. In neutral the engine would rev to about 2,400 then go down to 1,000 rpms. It would do this continuously.

Called my dealer and fortunately they are open to midnight. On the way to the dealer the check engine and VTM-4 lights came on. The dealer had it fixed in 45 minutes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've got the same issue with my girlfriend's MDX. What was the exact fix?

If it is the Idle Control Valve, is this on the Air Intake, just before it reaches the Manifold? It looks like the MAF is on top, then there is a wire harness going to a module on the Front and another on the Bottom, in this area. Which one is it?

Thank you, MJB

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
mjbartlett said:
I've got the same issue with my girlfriend's MDX. What was the exact fix?

If it is the Idle Control Valve, is this on the Air Intake, just before it reaches the Manifold? It looks like the MAF is on top, then there is a wire harness going to a module on the Front and another on the Bottom, in this area. Which one is it?

Thank you, MJB
It's on the bottom front of the throttle body with a two-wire connector and a small rubber coolant line going through it.

All I did was to remove it, separate the valve from the solenoid, dunk the valve in brake cleaner and spray some lubricant on it afterward. That was about 20K miles ago, and the problem hasn't come back yet.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Idle Air Control Valve

What tool did you use to separate the valve from the control head? These are 5-star heads on the servo motor (solenoid) that look like they allow the motor head to be indexed or adjusted to the valve position - like setting points on a lawn mower in the old days.

Just a note - tried cleaning the valve without removing the head unit - no help (still surging at idle, 1-2k rpm) and I may just replace the whole IAC valve to save time.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Idle Air Control Valve

cammer said:
What tool did you use to separate the valve from the control head? These are 5-star heads on the servo motor (solenoid) that look like they allow the motor head to be indexed or adjusted to the valve position - like setting points on a lawn mower in the old days.

Just a note - tried cleaning the valve without removing the head unit - no help (still surging at idle, 1-2k rpm) and I may just replace the whole IAC valve to save time.
Torx bits if my memory is not failing me. If cleaning it didn't help, I think you need to replace the valve. Also, while you are there, I would recommend cleaning out the EGR and all the EGR passagges.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Re: Re: Idle Air Control Valve

NewMDXOwner said:

Torx bits if my memory is not failing me. If cleaning it didn't help, I think you need to replace the valve. Also, while you are there, I would recommend cleaning out the EGR and all the EGR passagges.
im having the same problem removing the 2 pieces

I have a torx bit set but didnt work

my torx bits have 6 points the Acura bits have 5 points

does anyone know what size it take??

·
Registered
1 Posts
My IAC died today. Was on a trip home and thought my transmission was going. The x would jerk at highway speed anytime I accelerated or decellerated a bit. Only when I got off the interstate and came to a stop did I realize it was an engine problem. Had trouble coming to a stop and had to put it in neutral after I realized the engine was running at high speed. In neutral the engine would rev to about 2,400 then go down to 1,000 rpms. It would do this continuously.

Called my dealer and fortunately they are open to midnight. On the way to the dealer the check engine and VTM-4 lights came on. The dealer had it fixed in 45 minutes.
What did they fix on this? I am having the same issue and I have replaced the IACV and no luck...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts