Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's it. I'm looking to get a used 2013 MDX. I have a 2004 and it has been great and I will be keeping it. But like many cars, it has it's issues, like the coolant mixing with the transmission fluid which I took care of before disaster with a separate radiator for the tranny. That is the only thing that I consider a con with the 2004.
What do I need to look for in the 2013? Thx

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
The biggest issues with 2nd Gen MDXs are the:

- oil consumption that can be as bad as 1 qt per 1000 miles. Extended 100,000 warranty to fix and some folks were able to fix with +100,000 miles. The oil consumption needs to be really close to the 1 qt per 1000 miles for Acura to fix. It is more miss than hit for the +2010 MDX. I have +140,000 miles on my 11 MDX Adv+Ent and use about 1 qt per 9000 mile oil change.

- For 2007-09 Sport MDX and +2010 MDX Adv, failing magnetic struts/shocks for Active Damper system. Acura does have another 7yr/100,000 miles extended warranty for replacement. The 2013 MDX Adv would be the last year eligible for the 100,000 mile warranty if you are under the 100,000 miles.

- The 2007-2009 MDXs still have the same issue with trans/radiation fluids mixing like your 04. Some folks do preemptive maint to fix.

- normal random stuff after that like leaky P/S pump/rack, alternator, positive loose battery cable, 07-09 bluetooth module power drain, warped rotors, door/trunk actuators, or low range on FOB. I only had the weak range on fob so far.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Get a good price reference, before you shop.
www dot CUDLautosmart dot com
Ckick the Research tab
Scroll down to Blackbook
enter the year make model miles
See MSRP and Trade=in values

·
Registered
575 Posts
+1 for no 2013. You simply have no way to know if the car is already having the oil consumption issue and the risk of it developing even after you get it is too great IMO. 2007-2009 or 2014-2015 are the sweet spots right now. 2014-15 has the reliable 6 speed and 2016+ gets either the 9 or 10 speed and the 9 speed has been problematic.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have a 13' Advance with an aftermarket warranty (required).
Have had it 2yrs:

All four dampers(shocks/struts) failed but were covered. Driveshaft binding, replaced under warranty. Driver side axle failed, replaced under warranty. Dealer installed front rotors warped, I replaced with aftermarket cross drilled. Tensioner pulley failed, I replaced. Starter is failing, only noticable when very cold out. Tranny was shifting hard, reprogrammed.

Other issues: Uses oil, but nothing horrible. V-Tec oil issues when cold here and there (Lose AWD, bunch of warning lights etc, dealer couldn't fix. Has happened maybe five times). Needs regular alignments, or you eat a set of tires like I did. Noticed the mufflers are rotting, my TL ones still looked new when I sold her.

Overall I'm not thrilled with the MDX. I had an 05' TL for over 10yrs, nothing broke, nothing. I beat the crap out of it, and it took it. Due to its reliability I bought the MDX, should have just bought a Tahoe.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
My '12 is still rolling without a single issue in 145k miles. Uses 1/2 quart in 5k miles. I say that to say this....if you find a very well maintained super clean '13 for the right price, I wouldn't automatically reject it due to the potential oil usage issue.

·
Registered
24 Posts
My '03 now has over 262k has the original suspension other than rear shocks and sway bar end links. Don't drive this thing lightly have an extremely heavy foot lol. Trans replaced under warranty once many years ago before I owned it. Normal things here and there for mileage, but nothing too crazy been an amazing vehicle for the time I've had it. Trying to get 300k or whenever she finally craps out. Thought I might want a second gen since I like the styling more than the 3rd gen but the ads problems and oil burning which I know the extended warranty is doing nothing to repair the underlying issue but lessen the oil burning. I think I'll stay clear and get an RL before the refresh and addition of the 3.7 burner and stick with the good ol reliable J35, still don't have to add oil between changes on mine. I work for honda/acura and know all about the 3.7 craziness to say the least. Theres really no way of getting away from the issue because its an oil control ring problem and the replacement is just new oil control rings of the same bad design smh at honda for that bs honda knows how to make the best engines or so we thought. I mean I could probably pick up a burner for cheap and rebuild the engine but it will burn oil again eventually idk I guess I'll finally make that decision when the time comes.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Honestly the oil consumption is little blown out of proportion, yet to see a vehicle with engine damaged due to oil consumption. Even if you have oil consumption all that means is that you check regularly and top it off or if you dont want to bother, just replace engine oil every 3k and you would be fine.

2010 plus models have small but significant changes(for me atleast) over 2007-2009
  • Audio streaming with BT
  • USB Audio
  • Power lift gate as standard
  • 6 speed vs 5 speed (which improves fe ever so slightly, but this engine need every ounce of fuel savings)
  • HDD based navigation and Audio storage
Not to forget 2007--2009 has reported issues with mixing of tranny fluid in the coolant which has actually resulted in damaged engines.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Just to add to the +10 Tech models:
  • updated navi screen with XM traffic and weather with faster start-up time with hard-drive based Navi
  • Paddle sifters with 6AT
  • standard AUX connection in center console armrest for all models
  • never need to use voice commands to pair phone, import contact list, or make a phone call with speed dial
  • upgraded front and rear bumper
  • upgraded 2nd row head rests
  • upgraded Entertainment system compared to the 07-09 models
  • guide lines with back up camera (not sure if 07-09 have guide lines)
The +10 MDX Adv models:
  • 1st Gen AcuraWatch with CMBS, ACC, and BSI
  • Active Damper System (ADS) with magnetic struts/shocks with comfort and sport settings
  • larger front/rear stabilizer bars
  • auto level HIDs with heavy loads in rear and/or towing
  • 3 level heated and ventilated front seats
  • updated 19 Adv rims

·
Registered
301 Posts
I have a '12 Tech and so far it's been very reliable and no oil issues. I bought it in '15 after having an '01 for 14 years. It's a little disappointing that after 11 years they still didn't fix the key/phone swallowing seat gap and decided to go with DVDaudio (technology that was already dead in '08 -go ahead find a new DVD-A disc) and that the stereo is still crappy BUT it's a solid, comfortable and decent looking ride.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts