Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2016 Advance and did a pre-purchase inspection; however, with not enough scrutiny. I've have since noticed gaps that others are speaking off, but one that I haven't found mentioned. My front and rear doors on both sides have overlap in both the positive and negative direction. Meaning the front door is proud of the rear at the top and bottom and the rear is proud in the middle. By quite a bit, I would say 2mm. Had a vibration and several other fit issues to address by the dealer, so I added this to the list.

Not surprisingly, the dealer can't do anything about it from an alignment perspective. Either one or both of the door have been struck to the incorrect shape.

Also the rear doors are proud to the rear quarter panel by at lest 2mm, maybe three. Car is black so it doesn't show up so much. Others seeing this?

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
It seems Acura can't build the MDX fast enough and build quality might be an issue. I had mis-aligned driver door and front fender panels on my RDX (smaller gap as it when down the door edge until it was almost touching at the bottom). After a while, it started to make a popping sound when I open the door all the way. Since I was under warranty, Acura took it to the local body shop and they adjusted the door (and/or fender) for a normal gap. I think they only did this because it was making a sound and potentially causing damage to the door. It might be harder to get Acura to correct since the mis-aligned panel(s) isn't causing any damage (except to Acura's quality and reputation status).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree and as I have a black one it isn't as big a deal as it should be. That said, I came from the BMW world and don't think I had issues like this, but then again, maybe I never noticed it. I'm out of town right now and they will be delivering my car to my house so I am hopeful that the things they said they corrected are corrected (vibration at 45mph, 60mph and 80mph). Although very slight. Mis-alignment of my rear side, favoring the driver's side and a vibration when hitting a harder object. I thought this was related to my second row seating, but they said it was my spare tire, which I doubt.

They have also repaired the popping sounds coming from the door trim at the glass belittling. When I would put my elbow on the trip it would continuously make noises. I solved it myself by shimming the plastic trim on the door b-pilar. They said they put 1/4 inch foam on the inside and that fixed it. I will confirm.

·
Registered
313 Posts
They have also repaired the popping sounds coming from the door trim at the glass belittling. When I would put my elbow on the trip it would continuously make noises. I solved it myself by shimming the plastic trim on the door b-pilar. They said they put 1/4 inch foam on the inside and that fixed it. I will confirm.
Hey can you update if its fixed? That's exactly what my MDX is doing. Its like a creak/click of plastic on plastic when I rest my elbow there, otherwise its silent. I have not been to the dealer to fix yet, I want to get 1k miles on it and see if anything else loosens up or if it goes away.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I will update this weekend when I return home. I just hope that what they did fix the problem. If it didn't, I hope that my paper under the B-pillar plastic trick still works.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I just bought a 2016 Advance and did a pre-purchase inspection; however, with not enough scrutiny. I've have since noticed gaps that others are speaking off, but one that I haven't found mentioned. My front and rear doors on both sides have overlap in both the positive and negative direction. Meaning the front door is proud of the rear at the top and bottom and the rear is proud in the middle. By quite a bit, I would say 2mm. Had a vibration and several other fit issues to address by the dealer, so I added this to the list.

Not surprisingly, the dealer can't do anything about it from an alignment perspective. Either one or both of the door have been struck to the incorrect shape.

Also the rear doors are proud to the rear quarter panel by at lest 2mm, maybe three. Car is black so it doesn't show up so much. Others seeing this?
But once learned, the proud gaps are quite nice to look at.

Vibration is nice too, once you learn it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
I too noticed the awkward looking door shapes. I never had that on my German cars either. It's Acura, what do we expect? Where I come people would say "these were built with feet".

·
Registered
661 Posts
How do you learn gaps and vibration?
See other thread on navigation re: his post.

My point here is that you don't learn gaps and vibration. Nor do you "learn" slow, underpowered navigation/infotainment. You can "live" with it if you wish, but on a $50k car... it's tough to.

Both of these things track back to excessive cost-cutting (outdated, single-core CPU, poor touchscreen + navigation screen, and lower-wage labor who clearly has failed in QA).

You also can't "learn" to understand why the rear emblem on my MDX (and some others) did not go in a straight line (it was arched downwards because some dipweed didn't put it on correctly, and his/her supervisor/QA person was too lazy to fix it). The Alabama assembly plant is a travesty.

·
Registered
357 Posts

My point here is that you don't learn gaps and vibration. Nor do you "learn" slow, underpowered navigation/infotainment. You can "live" with it if you wish, but on a $50k car... it's tough to.

Both of these things track back to excessive cost-cutting (outdated, single-core CPU, poor touchscreen + navigation screen, and lower-wage labor who clearly has failed in QA).

You also can't "learn" to understand why the rear emblem on my MDX (and some others) did not go in a straight line (it was arched downwards because some dipweed didn't put it on correctly, and his/her supervisor/QA person was too lazy to fix it). The Alabama assembly plant is a travesty.

LOL, I read the other thread after I posted :D

·
Registered
56 Posts

that made in USA quality lol. I've been noting this decrease in quality in other usa made items...such as allen edmonds lol. All the while the prices continue to increase.:28:

·
Registered
661 Posts
that made in USA quality lol. I've been noting this decrease in quality in other usa made items...such as allen edmonds lol. All the while the prices continue to increase.:28:
Also note that the MDX is not only *assembled* in the USA, but (when I checked) 62% of the parts are actually sourced from the USA (doesn't factor CPU's from Taiwan or whatever, but it's a component assembly percentage). Might be 65%.

Either way, it's increasing. The 2014 was 61%.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Door - Not fixed
Rear Spoiler - Fixed and lined up properly.
Foam under door trip corrected noise.
Vibration - Not corrected. Seems to be at different speeds not what the original complaint was geared towards.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts