Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm due to pick up my touring mdx in less than 10 days. I took my trade in vehicle in last week and was floored by Acura's quote. I have a 96 mitsubishi montero with leather seats, 10 cd changer, moon roof, alloy wheels, 3.5L eng, 70K miles. Kelly Blue book says to expect 8K$ from a dealer. I've seen many other "lower quality" vehicles on lots all over town for 13-16K$. I guess what kills me is that the salesman (nice guy) told us that there is NO negotiations on the price. MSRP. OK. Now we bring our trade in and he says "well give you $6K and we don't negotiate." WHAT!? I know it's only $2K, but it's the principal of the matter. They're making at least $4K on the MDX, and now they want to make $5-9K off my trade in! As much as I want the MDX, I may walk away. This really upsets me. Anyone else have this problem? If so, what'd ya do?

·
Registered
840 Posts
Sell it privately. Ebay, Autotrader, post on your vehicles' specific website forums...etc. You can sell it fast, don't worry. Also advertise in that free mag they give out as you walk out of supermarkets.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Sell your car yourself. Found the best way to sell a used car is to take it to a consignment center. It's a used car lot where private parties sell their cars. You give them a few hundred bucks, they keep your car there and potential buyers come by and take it for a test drive. Sold all my used cars at one. Never took me over a week and I always got the mid range of the blue book price.

If you want a discount off your mdx, get one without the navi. You can get the non navi models with a discount, but it's pretty hard to get a penny off with a navi. I personally think the navi is the best part of the mdx!

good luck.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Hi Radspadd:

___Acura dealerships … been there, lived it. I was at Mueller in Hoffman Estates, IL. ~ 4 months ago and they not only wanted MSRP + ~ $500 in overpriced - forced accessories but were only willing to give me $600 for a 92 Toyota Previa LE that was KBB’ed at over $2200 dealer trade! The Toyota dealer that we had visited a few days earlier to trade for a new Camry XLE at just $200 over invoice was allowing us $2000 for the same vehicle.

___Do yourself a favor and walk away from your X deal until you come up with a better solution. You really should have got some reasonably close trade numbers from this Acura dealership before ordering and the wait but I don’t know what was promised or what was offered to you prior …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.
___[email protected]

·
Registered
22 Posts
I dont feel there is anyother SUV out there that is close to the X. The dealership I bought mine from gave me a decent trade on a 2001 Chevy Tahoe LT but wanted to rob me on a 2000 Maxima. I kept the Maxima to sell privately.

Sell your car privately and get the X. You wont be sorry. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Check out CarMax if there's one near you. If you don't want to go with the effort for a private sale, you should check 'em out. I just got my X a few weeks ago, needed to let go of my 2000 TL and CarMax paid 2K more than a "great" offer from the dealer.

·
Registered
391 Posts
mdxer46 said:
Check out CarMax if there's one near you. If you don't want to go with the effort for a private sale, you should check 'em out. I just got my X a few weeks ago, needed to let go of my 2000 TL and CarMax paid 2K more than a "great" offer from the dealer.
I second the vote for CarMax. They paid $2,000 more for my RX300 than the dealer offered. If they are not in your area, Auto Nation is similar. Dealers love playing pricing games, I actually had one ask me if I wanted to see blue book for my trade and full sticker on the new one or way below book on the trade and a discount on the new one.

I can't believe the stories I have read here about dealers re-evaluating what they have quoted for a trade after even a few days.

·
Registered
8,866 Posts
Ebay. . . ebay. . . ebay. . . don't even waste time with those other sites.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Nothing new here either...I had a premium Grand Caravan ES with next to nothing for miles, but they wouldn't even touch it for any price...(this is when I was dealing on a 2002) so I sold it privately
after a few days for better than what I was hoping for on a trade...still was a good deal for the guy that bought it. Then I decised to wait for the 2003's and wanted to trade my 1996 Accord V6 Ex, and again, they said they'd take it, but what they were offering was an insult. Again, put it up for sale privately and sold first day for what I wanted, so GO PRIVATE, and you make the money, not the dealer, they're getting enough on the X at MSRP!

·
Registered
235 Posts
worked for me

i had the same issue when i wanted to trade in my '01 toyota sequoia for an '03 MDX.
the dealer offered me about $1500-2000 less than i would accept; what i thought was fair. so i politely walked away.

at the end of dec i decided to call the salesman to say hi and see if he had any MDXs in stock or soon to come in. one thing led to another and they decided to give me what i wanted for the sequoia and ended up buying an MDX that arrived on 12/26.

i did not have to get rid of the sequoia and probably could have sold the sequoia for a little more privately-but competing with low interest rates from dealerships and the slow economy i didnt want to bother/risk it.

so, you may want to wait for the end of the month to try again if you do not want to sell on your own.

FYI- dealers use the "galves book" to determine the present market value (to them) of a vehicle. this book lists the prices of vehicles that were sold at auctions. the book is updated every two weeks.

i also looked at the honda pilot...one dealer was only gonna give me the galves book value on my sequoia but another dealer just 4 miles away was gonna give me $2000 more. its a matter of who you deal with and how willing they are to do the deal!!

by the way, if a dealer does not want to sell a car below msrp, they can sweeten the deal and still maintain the msrp by giving more on a trade-in.

if you are a little patient they (or another dealer) may be more willing to deal as the weather improves.

good luck,

chris

:7: celebrate life!

·
Registered
335 Posts
Definitely Carmax...

I second, third, whatever the suggestion to find a Carmax (even if you have to come down to one in the Milwaukee/Chicagoland area)...even if you do not sell it to them, their quote can make a good negotiating tool - I have used it before to get the trade value up (well, I can go down and sell it at Carmax for $x, but I'd rather trade it here, so what can you do...). Nothing like having a competitive quote on paper (and they usually offer a fair value). IMHO ;)

·
Registered
840 Posts
consignment center!

I agree with jkim. Consignment centers kick ass. Like $100 and that's it, you can sell the car very close to what you wanted for it originally! Just think, if that wasn't happening, these centers wouldn' t be in business!

·
Registered
292 Posts
A couple of factors that may be at work here:

Some dealers don't like taking other brands in as trades as much as their own. There's a belief that a buyer of a used Acura at an Acura store won't have large suspicions of mechanical problems (why would somebody trade an Acura for an Acura if he/she had lots of problems?). If you're trading a Mitsubishi for an Acura, the Acura dealer may feel they will have to discount the vehicle. That may be partially true, but is partially a game also. The Acura dealer could turn right around and wholesale your trade to a Mitsubishi dealer.

New car dealers frequently don't want to deal in anything except newer used cars. When they get to be 7 or 10 years old or more, that's frequently something a dealer specializing in used cars would sell.

I agree with the others - sell it yourself. However, at least with newer cars, KBB retail is fiction. That's the price dealers would like to get in their wildest dreams. All dealers sell almost all cars for less than KBB. (It's kind of like a used car MSRP, although KBB and the other price books present their prices as averages from actual sales. It's all so the consumer can get convinced he's getting a bargain at below KBB price).

Also, if your state is one that makes you pay sales tax only on the difference between trade-in and new car negotiated price, you might approach your dealer about doing a "courtesy trade." You'd still find your own buyer at your own price, but the dealer would handle the paperwork and give you the trade-in credit. They may or may not charge a little bit for this - they shouldn't, considering getting MSRP on the MDX.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Everyone.

I am trying to sell it on my own. Thanks everyone for your input and support. What a great web site!

·
Registered
351 Posts
Dale MDX said:

Some dealers don't like taking other brands in as trades as much as their own. There's a belief that a buyer of a used Acura at an Acura store won't have large suspicions of mechanical problems (why would somebody trade an Acura for an Acura if he/she had lots of problems?).
Yeah right. :rolleyes: I traded in a '96 4-door Integra to get my MDX. Besides the mileage, it was in pristine condition. And I had originally bought it from another Acura dealer (it used to be a service loaner). So between the maintenance it had while it was a service loaner and the 4 years that I had it, it was pretty well taken care of. Evenso, it was still a struggle to get them to give a little on the trade-in price. I finally got them to up their offer by $700. I would've liked to have sold it privately, but I was lazy :23: In the end, I just chalked it up to the crap you put up with from dealers. Although I loved my Integra, I was just ready to get my X.

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you are somewhat patient; your wallet will be the benefactor!

Some people forget the following: It is tough to get financing for a
'96 anything unless you go sub-prime. KBB trade in value for good
condition on the '96 Mitsubishi is about $6050 so the offer was fair.
Good condition means it could be retail ready with minimal recon, a
detail and paintless dent removal. Anything more (tires, paint, leather repair, major service) would Fair value. Mitsubishi is not the
hottest vehicle on the preowned lot.

Good luck on the sale, let us all know how you fair, and enjoy the
new "X".

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
radspadd said:
I'm due to pick up my touring mdx in less than 10 days. I took my trade in vehicle in last week and was floored by Acura's quote. I have a 96 mitsubishi montero with leather seats, 10 cd changer, moon roof, alloy wheels, 3.5L eng, 70K miles. Kelly Blue book says to expect 8K$ from a dealer. I've seen many other "lower quality" vehicles on lots all over town for 13-16K$. I guess what kills me is that the salesman (nice guy) told us that there is NO negotiations on the price. MSRP. OK. Now we bring our trade in and he says "well give you $6K and we don't negotiate." WHAT!? I know it's only $2K, but it's the principal of the matter. They're making at least $4K on the MDX, and now they want to make $5-9K off my trade in! As much as I want the MDX, I may walk away. This really upsets me. Anyone else have this problem? If so, what'd ya do?
Our dealer was up front about not being able to offer a decent trade on our '99 Expy (PRIOR to our order). He suggested we go to Carmax - we did and got a very fair offer. Sold the Expy to Carmax with no hassles:29:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I agree with msu79gt82. Our dealer treated us the same way. The dealer told us they would not offer a good trade-in value and suggested we go to Carmax and then bring it back to the dealer.

We went to Carmax and they offered $5500 for a 98 Nissan Maxima in Fair to Good condition. KBB website came up with this value as well. We took the Maxima to the dealer and told them to come up with a value before we showed them the Carmax written estimate.

The dealer also came up with $5500 therefore we traded-in for the MDX. In the instant case, it was to our advantage because we save the $159 processing fee that Carmax charges.

Bottomline...go to Carmax and get a written estimate.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
And don't forget one more......

MonsterDX said:
..........In the instant case, it was to our advantage because we save the $159 processing fee that Carmax charges.........
.......very very important thing (except, of course, if you live in this RIP OFF state called California :rolleyes: ) ...........In most states, when you trade in your vehicle towards a purchase of a new one, you pay sales tax only on the difference between the new vehicle's price and the trade in value:

For example if you're buying a new vehicle for $40,000 and you are getting $15,000 for your trade-in, then you would pay tax on:

$40,000 - $15,000 = $25,000. So, for example, at a sales tax rate of 8%, you pay a sales tax of only $2,000

Without the trade-in, you would pay the 8% tax on the full $40,000, which would be $3,200

So you saved an additional $1,200 ($3200-$2000) by trading in the vehicle, and this is not exactly chump change!! :eek: .....so you need to take this into account while figuring out the entire transaction!

Of course, as I mentioned above, this would not apply in California :rolleyes: (and, I don't know which other states) ......but from what I know, MOST states allow the credit for the trade in!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts