Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Yep, your front one is done fore.

This means the passenger side one is very likely, too (mine was almost completely torn by 160K miles).
Yup, deciding when do I want to start working on this project. I was trying to take a video on the passenger side engine mount but couldn't find a good spot to place the camera. So I can't tell it's bad or good. When are you planning to do your front engine mount?

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Sorry, I must be going senile. 40 is no joke! I thought you were asking about the passenger side mount.
Hahaha. Please keep us update when you do it.
Thanks. I will probably order the OEM part and have it ready for any days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
The front one is doable with time... You can use extensions and small ratches to undo it from the top/beneath of the car, It will make your life easier if you remove the fan but that adds a heck of a lot of more time.....

The rear though? its impossible to remove it without removing the lower x-member and j-pipe just to get to the damn bolts. I highly suggest you quote these because they usually give a lower rate to the front when you are doing the rear.. The side mount is an extremely easy DIY.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
The front one is doable with time... You can use extensions and small ratches to undo it from the top/beneath of the car, It will make your life easier if you remove the fan but that adds a heck of a lot of more time.....

The rear though? its impossible to remove it without removing the lower x-member and j-pipe just to get to the damn bolts. I highly suggest you quote these because they usually give a lower rate to the front when you are doing the rear.. The side mount is an extremely easy DIY.
I think I can manage the front one on a nice day.
Does the rear engine mount get aged and worn out at the same rate as the front?

And here is your photo again and I can see the front engine mount is in wide open after the fan is removed.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I think I can manage the front one on a nice day.
Does the rear engine mount get aged and worn out at the same rate as the front?

I have never seen bad rear engine mount on J series engine, if mount goes out it is always the front one....

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
Yup the front one is always the bad one as it the one that gets the most stressed when you gas it...
The rear one also matters if you want to keep the luxury feeling as it gets harder with time and can ruin the ride comfort.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
Gentlemen, I am going to try a badge solution. I am going to try out and cut out a high-grade rubble like a rubber tire and insert tightly between the top bracket and the top of the moving part of the engine mount like here in this picture. This will prevent the center bolt inside the mount from moving up and down. You could call it a rubber stopper. It’s a temporary fix.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Almost 6 hours and no break I got it done and no issue. The engine is definitely have less vibration and doesn’t seem to be jerking around anymore and of course no more clunking during acceleration.

NOTES:
Getting the engine bolts lose is easy if you have long extension and swivel socket extension. I got all the bolts lose from the top. Trying to raise the engine by jacking directly under the oil pan to release the weight on the engine mount, didn’t work. I had to jack up under the transmission to get the weight off the mount.

Removing the upper and lower radiator hoses would make thing a lot easier but I chose not to because I don’t want to deal with the coolant dripping everywhere and add more work and waste good coolant. However, if your coolant is too old it’s would probably a good idea to do it.

Also getting the bolts back into the holes on the engine mount and the subframe are tough because it was hard to get the two holes aligned in very tight space . The trick is to screw the bolts from the bottom instead to get those four holes align with the subframe and then remove one at a time and screw the bolts from the top. Use a piece of paper to hold the nut and bolt in the socket and lower it down to thread.

Going with the battery tray and starter motor and front engine mount removal procedures.
A lot of nuts and bolts removal in tight space. Not an easy job.

Will try the side engine mount in a few days and hopefully it will be a lot easier.

Here is the old front engine mount. Completely broken in two pieces after 143k miles.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The same thing happened to my TL’s side mount. The clunking was so bad every time I drove over a pot hole.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts