Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Watched a few YouTube and my symptom are somewhat similar. I hear mild creeping or screeching sound whenever I applied a quick hard press on the gas from a stop. I need to diagnose some more to know which one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
760 Posts
Did you check if strut springs are seated ok in rubber isolator ?

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Did you check if strut springs are seated ok in rubber isolator ?
I didn’t really check how it’s supposed look like or how it’s supposed to be seated. Can it be checked while it’s already installed and what is to look for. All I did was checking to make sure nothing lose or out of the ordinary.

Can I spray soapy water at both end of the strut spring where the two ends seat on the rubber to see if the sound goes away temporarily?

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
If your MDX is over 150K miles, there's a great chance the motor mounts are bad. I recently replaced one of mine (the side one), but I'm pretty sure both front and rear ones are bad as well. No wonder with that kind of stress and mileage.

·
Registered
760 Posts
Soapy water will not help, too much pressure. Try inspect it visually...
Sample pics:

·
Registered
760 Posts
If your MDX is over 150K miles, there's a great chance the motor mounts are bad. I recently replaced one of mine (the side one), but I'm pretty sure both front and rear ones are bad as well. No wonder with that kind of stress and mileage.
You have great opportunity to create another video ;)

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Soapy water will not help, too much pressure. Try inspect it visually...
Sample pics:
Thank for the link. Obviously mine does not look anywhere near close to that.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
mine is at 145k miles. I saw a few youtube how this black dude changed the front engine mount on his 2007 MDX without removing the radiator fan and instead he removed the battery, battery holder and starter motor. Lots of tedious works. And the part is over $200. It is just annoying and frustrating after spending all these times and money replacing the fronts dampers, inner tie rods and broken axle and still there is something else to deal with. However, I am happy with the result after replacing these parts. I am suspecting my engine mounts are starting to deteriate because I do a lot of uber driving and stops and goes which can accelerate the wears and tears on these engine mounts. Let's hope it's not the LCA for now.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
I hope you not thinking about DIY the main mounts :D while the side one is child play the front is just absurdly hard or rather time consuming to replace, The rear one requires you to lower the subframe.... So.... Yeah not for the faint of heart.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I saw a few youtube how this black dude changed the front engine mount on his 2007 MDX without removing the radiator fan and instead he removed the battery, battery holder and starter motor. Lots of tedious works.
Yeah, I saw that as well. Always delightful to watch a DIY Youtube video where the youtuber explains the issue and how to approach it and then instead of actually showing how to do it, just jumps to the time after it's done already... I'd rather remove the fans and get the front mount out that way. Seems way much easier.

And the part is over $200.
Yep, the OEM mounts are not cheap. But you can always go with aftermarket just like that dude in the video. I gather that those mounts failed on him in less than a year (which is expected, because they are crap).

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Yeah, I saw that as well. Always delightful to watch a DIY Youtube video where the youtuber explains the issue and how to approach it and then instead of actually showing how to do it, just jumps to the time after it's done already... I'd rather remove the fans and get the front mount out that way. Seems way much easier.

Yep, the OEM mounts are not cheap. But you can always go with aftermarket just like that dude in the video. I gather that those mounts failed on him in less than a year (which is expected, because they are crap).
He was very calm, relaxed and clearly explaining well in the video.

I did tried to remove the fan when I was trying to replace the radiator coolant motor but it won’t lift up because the radiator pipe at the bottom was in the way. And I tried to lose the pipe but the screws are just very hard to access to.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I am suspecting my engine mounts are starting to deteriate because I do a lot of uber driving and stops and goes which can accelerate the wears and tears on these engine mounts.
Do you have the service manual part covering the front and rear mount replacement? The pages covering mine are missing, I just have a diagram of where they are located with torque specs, but no factory process for replacement.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hope you not thinking about DIY the main mounts :D while the side one is child play the front is just absurdly hard or rather time consuming to replace, The rear one requires you to lower the subframe.... So.... Yeah not for the faint of heart.
Well DIY is exactly I have in mind.

Hey , did you ever had a chance to rebuild your front axle. I am struggling to separate the outboard joint from the driveshaft.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do you have the service manual part covering the front and rear mount replacement? The pages covering mine are missing, I just have a diagram of where they are located with torque specs, but no factory process for replacement.
I think I do. I post them up when I get home.
Right now I am at the Honda dealer getting the alignment done. I don’t want to visit my local Acura dealer anymore.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think it is confirmed now that the engine mount is shot, likely it's the front ones. What I did was stopped the car and shifted in DRIVE, pressed and held the brake and applied some gas on and off. I could clearly hear the clunk as the the engine rev up and down. And then I tried in REVERSE, nothing, no clunk.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Awesome, thanks! So the front one seems very straightforward, except I don't see why you need to remove the radiator. I can clearly see from the top of the engine that there is more then enough space to pull the mount out and put the new one back in once the fans are removed. No need to pull the actual radiator.

The transmission mount looks easy, too. The rear one is a pain, though.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I was able to get all the motor mounts replaced under the Ext Warranty. My Ext Warranty paid off many many times over or me. My Chief Mechanic would always go over my vehicle and anything (PART) that was on the Warranty coverage, he would replace rather needed or not. Even if the part or coverage wasn't worn out or needed. But just to make sure all was replaced before Ext Warranty expired. So if it was a covered repair.....current or future, it was replaced. I used an Ext Warranty like it was supposed to be used. I did not ever regret the EW. Just my thoughts.

If you have an MDX, you will eventually need Motor Mounts, even if you don't need them now.

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
My front engine mount is shot and the transmission mount looks fine. I am can't access to the rear engine mount but I think it's OK. And probably the side engine is OK too. Another fun project! Quick assessment on how to remove and install the front engine mount is that the fan shroud(s) have to come out. Maybe the radiator too. Maybe. If the radiator has to come out I am doing the starter motor and battery removal method. Here are the videos:

And here the part:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 38 Posts