Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MDX was "bombed" yesterday... Most likely water-bombed to be exact.

This incident has 2 perspectives....

1. Driving around last night about 9 PM running some errands, my car was HIT! A very LOUD bang somewhere around right front fender or passenger door or roof... Extremely unexpected - the street was virtually empty. I got scared but managed to stay in my lane and come to a quick stop. Looked back - saw a few people standing by a curb. Put car in reverse, drove back, saw at least 1 of the people run away... Got out of the car, asked the remaining people what just happened - nothing, they said. They did not see anything hit my car, nor anybody run away. :mad: I looked around my car but did not see any damage - it was dark and drizzling. Did not have a chance to examine the car this morning - had to run to work... They said - what's a big deal, no damage, just keep on driving... A THREAT???? :mad: Well, I did...

Obviously stupid of me to stop, get out of the car and try to "investigate" It's NYC, after all. On the other hand, who knows what I hit... I still think I did the right thing by stopping.

Will do a thorough examination of the car later today.

Perspective # 2 ( a lot of alleged speculations!!! Not intended to offend anybody)

At the time of this incident I was driving through an area predominantely populated by a certain ethnic/religious group. This group, as part of a larger entity, is involved in a bitter and bloody conflict in one of the world's hot spots. It appeared that a group of people I encountered MAY HAVE BEEN members of the other group involved in the same conflict. Was this incident just a prank? Child play? Or was it a deliberate "attack"?
MDX, at least in size, looks very much like a car that members of the 1st group would drive.

A civilian patrol of the members of the 1st group came out of nowhere within 30 seconds of me stopping. They asked what happened, if I was Ok, if I needed help catching someone they just witnessed running away and around the corner. What really started all these paranoyed thoughts in my mind is that patrol members actually asked me directly if I thought it was a member of the other group....

Anyway, as it turns out, there is a police precinct 2 blocks away. No, I did not go there, I found that out after getting home and browsing city's web sites.

Am I being "paranoyed"?? Am I seeing things which are just not there??? Can it be just "innocent" :mad: (although extremely STUPID and DANGEROUS) child play? Maybe an overzealous environmentalist unaware of how green-friendly the MDX is? Or is it "racially" motivated??? :mad:

If I see any damage done to my MDX, I will go postal...

Sorry, just needed some venting... My co-workers cannot listen to me anymore fuming about this case.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I hear yah.

Go NOW and check out the vehicle for dents etc.

Work can wait. If not, you will just be thinking about it all day anyways.

NYC ?? I wouldn't have stopped.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Quote: "Maybe an overzealous environmentalist unaware of how green-friendly the MDX is?" In California maybe...but not in NYC!

LOL...not to make light...but in all probability it was kids throwing things at cars...I'm sure more than a few of us did that stupidity when we were pre-teens...although we've made things so safe lately that natural selection doesn't have as much of a chance to weed out the idiots...so the "kids" that find these things funny are a little older these days...back in the seventies, the monkey bars or the metal swings on chains in the playground would have taken those idiots out before they were able to grow up into moron adults!

whew...looks like you got me venting too!

Go check your car now so you can relax...don't let a moron make you feel like siht all day!

I live in Miami Beach now...but I grew up on the "mean streets" in Jackson Heights....so I know where you're coming from.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Been there...

... I used to teach high school in Chicago. The area around the school (Kenwood) was OK, older mansions that were still well kept, though past thier glory days.

I'd often take Lake Shore Drive past the roughest neighborhoods (with nothing but projects and boarded-up disasters) and then cut through some better, but still rough neighborhoods. One day I'm driving and some goofy kids decide to "unleash" a fire hydrant (which was ilegally opened..) on me. Direct hit. Windshield is flooded with 30+ gallons a minute of water, you can't see, you're worried your hood is dented from the water, you worry that you'll run into/over something. Adreline goes to RED ALERT...

Anyhow I did get out of the car, after the windshield wipers cleared and I stopped in middle of block (in hindsight realize how stupid that was as car was running with door open) and the kids were like FIRST GRADERS. I want from angry to stupid to awww in like 60 seconds...

No real lesson, just brought back memories. BTW I've also taken to really watching every little thing when I drive so much that passengers have asked if I ever watch the road...

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
A few weeks ago I heard a loud bang around the right rear of my MDX just as I made a turn onto a busy street.
No place to pull over, I checked my mirrors, no one around the street corner, fairly heavy traffic and no place to park.
All I could do was drive a little more until I could finally pull over and check it out. Nothing, nothing at all!
I don't know what it was but possibly something I ran over that bounced and hit the bottom of the vehicle.
I suppose at night, in a different neighborhood, maybe people gathered on the street corner, I might have had other ideas of what it could be. Hopefully, the results would have been the same and are the same for you.

·
Registered
162 Posts
"At the time of this incident I was driving through an area predominantely populated by a certain ethnic/religious group. This group, as part of a larger entity, is involved in a bitter and bloody conflict in one of the world's hot spots. It appeared that a group of people I encountered MAY HAVE BEEN members of the other group involved in the same conflict. "

I assume that you are talking about the Greeks vs. the Turks on Cyprus.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Or, perhaps the Pakistanis vs. the Indians in Kashmir?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Probably, you meant the Russians vs. Chechans. Or, maybe the Hutus vs. Tutsis?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
vip6,
Although I give you untold grief about living in NYC, in this case, I do not think you were being paranoid. Whether the incident was ethinically motivated or just a prank would have been the age of the participants. If they were under 14 or 15, I'd say it was a prank. If older maybe not and what you may have observed was perhaps just an updated version of West Side Story, hopefully without the tragic consequences. The good thing is both you and the MDX appear to be unharmed. My advice, next time, keep driving until you reach that Police station, then get out and inspect the car.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
DaleB -- re your 7/19 post on this thread: did you check to see if by chance one of your swaybar links snapped? That has been discussed recently.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No need to speculate about the 2nd perspective. I tried to choose words as carefully as my "fuming" would allow.

MDX does not have any visible defects.

Sway bar "snapping" did come to mind. Isn't it in the rear?
How can I check with wheels attached? They seem to block the view.

Re: stopping in NYC - it sounded like I hit something - not stopping would be WRONG, IMO. What followed, was most likely stupid on my part.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Well, the speculation was fun, even though I couldn't get anyone to bite. Can't imagine you would have mentioned your religious/ethnic theory if you didn't want us to speculate. I especially can't stop wondering about the link between car size/type and the unidentified "group" ("MDX, at least in size, looks very much like a car that members of the 1st group would drive.") Guess we'll all just have to keep on wondering. Of course, all members of this group -- regardless of their religious/ethnic background, are glad that you are OK. Come on, tell us, it was really the marxist rebels vs. the royal family in Nepal that you were thinking of, wasn't it?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Trust me, "speculations" was NOT a reason. Possibly being a victim of a "racial profiling" was one of the major contributors to my unextinguishable fuming... :mad:

As far as my reference to MDX being similar in size to a kind of car someone else may drive.... well, I guess, you'll never know. Just another one of the stereotypes, I guess....

I do not belong to either group.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
vip9 said:
Trust me, "speculations" was NOT a reason. Possibly being a victim of a "racial profiling" was one of the major contributors to my unextinguishable fuming... :mad:

As far as my reference to MDX being similar in size to a kind of car someone else may drive.... well, I guess, you'll never know. Just another one of the stereotypes, I guess....

I do not belong to either group.
Regardless, of the fact your are not the member of a particular group, it was obviously and understandbly a upsetting experience. I'm glad you and vehicle emerged unscathed.
If you bend down in the back you can see two (one on each side) very thin strut supports going from the axle area up to the rear sway bar. A couple of members have this snap on them. It's not very serious, but alarming when you hear it, and easily fixed by the dealer.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL

Allt he steam's out. I am OK now.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts