Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I have been following the threads about gas mileage, the big range between different users, and thought I would put in my $.02. My 03 X now has 1700 miles, so the computer is still in break in mode. My normal driving is 70/30 highway and city as it’s about 20 miles of freeway from my home to get anywhere. I have been averaging about 20 mpg, after the initial 700 miles of varying speeds during break in, on my X. This weekend I drove up to D.C. and back with 21.2 for the mpg. This trip was made with moderate to heavy traffic at speeds between 60-80 with lots of speed changes due to all the traffic. I am very happy with the mileage I’m getting and the trip computer has been within .3 of the actual mpg so far.

Earl

·
Registered
93 Posts
It's been 1 week and 400 miles since I bought my X and I can't seem to get over 20 MPG yet. Been driving the car like an old grand ma to break in the car for the first 1000 miles, but still getting 16-18.5 miles per gallon even though I'm on the highway most of the time.
Anyone else having such problems?
Thanks.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
First of all, you don't need to drive it like a grandma. But don't drive it like the one from Pasadena. The idea is to VARY speeds.
Don't rev it up real high, or drive crazy. Just drive normal, and don't cruise at a oonstant speed. On the freeway you can shift down to 4th from 5th every couple of miles (or minutes).
If you do vary your speeds, of course your mileage will suffer.
I would not try to evaluate mileage before you have turned at least 1000.
At 400 miles your tires and brakes are already worn in nicely.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts