Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Jeep's are great vehicles for awhile. I know -- I've had three Grand Cherokee's (2 V8's, one V6).

Nice combination of features for the money. I'm not yet a MDX owner, but anxiously waiting to trade off my '99 Grand Cherokee V8 due to many towings and numerous other service issues. My other '99 Grand Cherokee Limited V8 had $3000 of transmission work (100% good highway miles too) within 2000 miles past warranty.

While we really like the Jeeps, after three of them with significant service issues, we decided to dump our last one and buy something that has a better record. No more Jeeps for us--we simply don't have the time to take 'em to get repaired constantly.

Best of luck to you, I hope you don't have the issues we had. I'm looking forward to the MDX and a much better service/repair record!

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
Okie said:
Let me be honest:
I was out for an MDX. Why? Cause it was the new thing. I drove it, (nice) I liked it. I read about it (here and other places). I was set on buying one. Short of a dealer that tried to screw me, I'd probably have one. Nice ride!

But...

Because the dealer played with me, I decided to look around. 4-Runner? Nah, didn't like it, way too slow. Pathfinder? Nope. Explorer? Been there, know better. Bigger stuff? Nope, it's the wife's daily driver, too big.

I (ah hemmm) bought a Grand Cherokee Limited. V8 (say FAST), towing capacity (it matters, pull an 3900 lb dirtbike trailer a lot)

Maybe when the Acura has a v8 and can play in the 4x4 world, I'll be back.. until then...when you get stuck and need a hand? I'll be there to pull you out.

Yup, they gave it to me, a 37,950 car for 31,250? Don't you wish you didn't pay 9,000 for exclusivity? Okay, that was a low blow sorry! Enjoy your mini-van AWD :)
It's a manner of being a commoner or a unique person. You tend to go with the masses, where us MDX'ers are unique!!! You have to keep up with the times the Jeep is still in the 90's. If one person jumped over the bridge I think the jeep people will all follow where as the MDX'ers would think and make an intelligent decision for themselves!!!

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
One thing that shocked me about the Jeep Grand Cherokee is that it doesn't offer conventional front side airbags. E.g. ones that deploy around your abdomen (thorax).

Chrysler does offer side curtain airbags for the front and rear. While having those are nice, they only protect adult heads in a side impact, usually when the impact is very high (e.g. sliding sideways into a utility post).

While the Jeep gets 4/5 stars for side impacts, it isn't 5/5, and, critically, the NHTSA test uses a relatively low barrier (approximating a small sedan). It's when you get hit by another SUV or minivan when you really want the thoracic side impact airbag, since the forces are going to go against your pelvis and chest.

IIHS is working on a side-impact test with a higher (SUV-height) barrier.

To me, the Grand Cherokee's lack of basic front side impact air bags (more critical than side curtains in an SUV), and its "marginal" IIHS crash test score, are major issues.

http://www.iihs.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/99009.htm

41 - 44 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.