Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me be honest:
I was out for an MDX. Why? Cause it was the new thing. I drove it, (nice) I liked it. I read about it (here and other places). I was set on buying one. Short of a dealer that tried to screw me, I'd probably have one. Nice ride!

But...

Because the dealer played with me, I decided to look around. 4-Runner? Nah, didn't like it, way too slow. Pathfinder? Nope. Explorer? Been there, know better. Bigger stuff? Nope, it's the wife's daily driver, too big.

I (ah hemmm) bought a Grand Cherokee Limited. V8 (say FAST), towing capacity (it matters, pull an 3900 lb dirtbike trailer a lot)

Maybe when the Acura has a v8 and can play in the 4x4 world, I'll be back.. until then...when you get stuck and need a hand? I'll be there to pull you out.

Yup, they gave it to me, a 37,950 car for 31,250? Don't you wish you didn't pay 9,000 for exclusivity? Okay, that was a low blow sorry! Enjoy your mini-van AWD :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, gottaq do it!

Oh the 99? yep, first year for a new design (sound familiar?)

Mine's an '02. Want to hook 'em up soccer mom?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm such a bad guy, sorry

The MDX is a great awd minivan. It's really not nice of me to act this way. I'm sorry.

You guys that worry rather it's an "acura", "bmw" or "Mercedes" crack me up. As if "acura" can be used in the same sentance with the German cars...hehehehhehe. Wannabes!

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Get back to us in a couple of years. Jeep vehicles don't get better in later model years. They start bad, and stay bad. Just wait until you try to resell the vehicle and find out how much it's depreciated.

Best of luck to you and your dirt-crawling. Seems appropriate given the intellect you're displaying. Must have burned a lot of brain cells to come up with your "witty" remark that you are patting yourself on the back for.

At least by choosing a vehicle with marginal safety, you're supporting Natural Selection. If one gets killed in an unsafe vehicle, they can't pass their defective genes to another generation. My hat's off to you, thanks for doing us a favor.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Thanks, Okie, for stirring the flaming pot. As much as I enjoyed it, I was beginning to grow weary of the "My second and last post to this board" thread, which was 4 pages long when I last checked. I can hardly wait to read the messages from the "mini-van AWD" owners that are sure to follow mine!

(Question for Acura4Life: Do you by any chance hire yo-yo's like Okie to start threads like this just to generate some excitement?) ;-)

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
bilmat said:
(Question for Acura4Life: Do you by any chance hire yo-yo's like Okie to start threads like this just to generate some excitement?) ;-)
I'm afraid you've just insulted Duncan, and every other brand of yo-yo out there. Please refrain from impinging the intelligence of the hard-working yo-yo's.

http://www.duncanyoyo.com/

(This all in fun, of course.)

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Now Let Me Take off the Gloves!

Okie,
Does this mean you are geographically challenged!! For the record, I owned 2 Jeep Grand Cherokees and I can safely say you will get what you paid for. My two beasts had a catalytic converter go out, a rear differential fail, and stopped stone cold dead on I-55. You may be gloating all the way to the bank, but the rest of us will be seeing a whole lot less of the inside of an Acura dealer than you will be for your Jeep dealer. Also, I don't remember Jeep Dealers offering loaners. If they did, they would have a fleet larger than the post office.

I just love it when some jamoke or should I say jamOKIE posts a thread like this. Kind of like when a termite invades the ant hill!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Love those Chrysler Products

1) Poor/horrible resale value
2) horrible ride
3) a vehicle that will hold up for 3 years, and then implode
=Chrysler/Jeep

Enjoy the "Grand" Cherokee w/the V8. Did you get the 5.9 liter? If not, it still isn't that quick.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Jeepers Creepers

My dad's a lemon law attorney in CA, and from his experience, guess which car has the preponderance of problems? (What a coincidence, same company makes both the Jeep and MB320--I guess it's more efficient to handle all the problems under 1 roof). [oops, am I starting a fire?:confused:]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jeez...

Okay Okay!, it was all for fun, sorry. Kidding!
If not for being screwed around by the dealer, I'd be driving a MDX in another 3 months (waiting list). Probably will when I turn in this crappy Jeep in 2 years (lease).

As for the 5.9? Yup, it's fast, but the 4.7 is pretty damn strong as well. Is the Jeep as cool as the MDX? Nope. MPG is terrible. Oh well.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Damn (can I say that here?) you, Okie. Just when your thread began to get interesting you dig out your fire extinguisher and bring an end to the fun and excitement. Guess all I can do now is wait for another "termite to invade an ant hill" (great analogy) . . .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Horrible ride?

That's rather subjective don't you think? I prefer the ride of the jeep actually. There is a lot to like about the MDX, no doubt. If they'd put a V8 in it and increase the towing capacity (an not hit you up for $1,000) it would be nearly perfect. Can you imagine a MDX with a nice Borla or other aftermarket exhaust rolling by?

Resale? What's that? I would never BUY a depreciating item. Call me silly.

3 years? Cool. I'll have the Jeep for 2, then I'll be driving a MDX for THOUSANDS less than you are :) It'll look the same, have the bugs worked-out and be newer.(low blow, sorry)

It's all so easy when you're talking about cars. It's a way to get from point A to point B right? When you let your emotions take over, you can lose WAY too much money.

That should kindle the flame. Some of you take your minvan (I mean car. no wait I mean truck, no, SAV, no, I mean SUV) pretty seriously! Seen a MPV lately? LOL. Kidding!

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
Okie

I'm afraid you're not flaming us enough. There are some other folks here who won't let up. I guess we should thank you for that?

Good luck with your vehicle. If you haven't already, please post your (bad) Acura dealer rating here so you can warn others who do want an MPV, oops, MDX.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Okie, I have owned many SUV's over the years. And I seriously mean this in no way offensive. BUT, I have never ridden in a worse SUV than a Cherokee. I am really surprised at your selection. You may have a V8 and towing and all that stuff but the likelihood is that we'll be giving you a ride to a mechanic on a bright sunny day.

Please explain your reasoning on purchasing over much better vehicles. Even a Tahoe (gulp!) is loads better than a Cherokee. As for the $9000 off... why do you think you got that much off? Could it be that ....they're not selling?...for a reason!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
dancall said:
BUT, I have never ridden in a worse SUV than a Cherokee. I am really surprised at your selection. You may have a V8 and towing and all that stuff but the likelihood is that we'll be giving you a ride to a mechanic on a bright sunny day.

Please explain your reasoning on purchasing over much better vehicles. Even a Tahoe (gulp!) is loads better than a Cherokee. As for the $9000 off... why do you think you got that much off? Could it be that ....they're not selling?...for a reason!
Worse based on what criteria? The 99 model year? No doubt about it, there were a LOT of problems. If you read the technical bulletin history, you see that these issues have been addressed.

Not selling them? It's the second best SUV seller in the states to the exploder.

They are just different vehicles aimed at different buyers. Jeep owners actually go off-road, pull trailers, etc., the Acura is aimed at luxo car buyers who want more space and explore this “SUV thing” and maintain some yuppie appeal. Just don’t take it off the boulevard, you’ll be disappointed.

When MDX owners compare their car, it's against another couple of wanna-be SUVs (Lexus and MB) and a tall 5 Series station wagon. Why is that?

It’s a great car, don’t get me wrong, I very well may end up with one, but I’ll make sure to keep the 2000 F-150 Off-Road for everything but the grocery store. As far as REAL utility goes, the Jeep is the winner. If Utility means people mover to you, you should be happy.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Okie said:
dancall said:
BUT, I have never ridden in a worse SUV than a Cherokee. I am really surprised at your selection. You may have a V8 and towing and all that stuff but the likelihood is that we'll be giving you a ride to a mechanic on a bright sunny day.

Worse based on what criteria? The 99 model year? No doubt about it, there were a LOT of problems. If you read the technical bulletin history, you see that these issues have been addressed.

Not selling them? It's the second best SUV seller in the states to the exploder.

They are just different vehicles aimed at different buyers. Jeep owners actually go off-road, pull trailers, etc., the Acura is aimed at luxo car buyers who want more space and explore this “SUV thing” and maintain some yuppie appeal. Just don’t take it off the boulevard, you’ll be disappointed.

When MDX owners compare their car, it's against another couple of wanna-be SUVs (Lexus and MB) and a tall 5 Series station wagon. Why is that?

It’s a great car, don’t get me wrong, I very well may end up with one, but I’ll make sure to keep the 2000 F-150 Off-Road for everything but the grocery store. As far as REAL utility goes, the Jeep is the winner. If Utility means people mover to you, you should be happy.

Yes Okie, I should explain myself a little. I have owned mostly Ford SUV's from a Bronco II to an Expedition and everything in between. My brother in law's family is a huge
Chevrolet Dealer. I do not like the Chevy's as I think they look and feel like 20 year old vehicles technology wise (although the new ones are ok). The quality of my Expedition was incredible. I live in the Northeast where although I do not necessarily go "off-road" I have a very long driveway and since I am originally from the South, vow to never be stuck anywhere. For a vehcile with towing capacity, utility, driveability, etc. I would not own anything else. My experience with Cherokees (and honestly it may be with 99 and earlier) is that they were just very poorly built and very 'tinny'. The overall quality just wasn't there and it was obvious. I realize that this is subjective. But basically, from the moment I entered the Cherokee vs. the Expedition there was no comparison. (I am not talking luxury).

As for the MDX, I would never compare the Jeep to the MDX or vice versa). As you state, it should be compared with Luxury SUV's such as the BMW and maybe the higher end Mercedes. Anyway, I woke up one day and said "I no longer own a boat, I load multiple bikes in my car, have two kids and a big dog, am turning 40 soon, need better gas mileage, still want an SUV, want more luxury, and BINGO, the MDX came along). By the way I also need to commute even further. I will miss my Expy but I just don't need it anymore. It was the best of the best for any 'real' SUV I have ever owned or been in.

·
Registered
62 Posts
End of life for Cherokee

Keep in mind that DaimlerChrysler has announced that they'll be end of life-ing their cherokee and coming out with a new piece of crap in the spring of next year...

Here's what you can expect...may you enjoy the future of your purchasing decision!

I'd try to sell it now and cut my losses! :)

http://carpoint.msn.com/autoshow2001/default.asp?content=coverage&param=1

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
wrong

The Cherokee is in fact going away (pitty too), we are discussing a Grand Cherokee in this thread. Two different autos. Remove foot from mouth.

Yes, the Expedition is nice (I have a 2000 f150 4x4 and love it), but for the wife's daily commute, the full size SUV's are too much of a hand full (she says). That eliminates a lot of choices.

Having owned a new BMW (328i) I use it as my measure of quality, best car I've ever owned (actually "ever leased")

I like the Acura's interior, they did a great job of knocking-off the German ergos/design. No doubt a quality item.

I can't agree that the Jeep feels "tinny", that more fits the 4-Runner feel to me. Maybe for the fun of it, drive a '01 grand, you might be surprised. (I promise you'll like 0-60 in 7.2). Is it the overall quality of a MDX. Nope. Of course it cost 9,000 less.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Fair enough Okie. I got rid of the Expeditin due to the commute thing myself. I have not been in an 01 Grand so maybe it is much different than my memory.

BTW, 0-60 in 7.2 isn't much different than the MDX (I can't locate the data; however.. ??).

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
About this Discussion
43 Replies
19 Participants
wmquan
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing