Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came here seeking knowledge, and left a hopeless neurotic!!!!

Finally, I received my MDX on Saturday, and everything was perfect. I have waited for this for three months, and I savored the moment. I loaded up the CD player with a few Highway and Summer tunes. I immediately head out on the highway, wind in my hair, and yes there may have been a little "Born to Be Wild" blaring on the Bose. It was a Hot, Lazy, Laidback Summer Day, you could not have asked for a better day to get a new car. And after awhile, it was so hot that I decided to tryout the air conditioner.

I rolled up the windows, and thats when I heard, Tap Tap TapTapTap Tap, at first I thought it might have been a bad CD-R, so I turned off the music. But it was still there, a loud, frequent, but irregular tapping from the left side dash. Determined not to let a little noise rain on my parade, I just turned up the radio, rolled down the windows, and enjoyed the rest of the day in my brand new MDX. Besides, I'm sure it was just shaking out a few new car bugs, and if not, I can always find an easy fix on the net.

Sunday and Monday passed, but the noise did not. So Monday evening I found your site on the web, and I found a thread about this problem, all eight, very long web pages worth. It was not a simple fix, I immediately called my dealer and set up an appointment for Thursday. The situation began to gnaw at me, I wondered if there were any other problems that I may have overlooked. This is when I made my fatal mistake.

Tuesday night, I came back to your site and read most of the problems section. I then went and inspected my MDX, and it seemed like it had most all of them.

The wobbley brake pedal.
The wooshing, whoopy cushion brakes.
The noisy click of the shift lock, which you can actually feel.
Marks on the pillar from the seat belt.
Even the unexplained short white threads that magically appear on the ebony leather interior.

I am becoming despondent, all the excitement that I had seems to be draining away.

Wednesday morning, it rained, and the weather was cooler. While on my drive to work, I almost didn't notice it at first, so I listened a little harder, and there it was, virtual silence, no tapping. Yes, this is going to be a good day. I seemed to dismiss all the other little problems and seriously began considering cancelling the appointment. Then I heard it.

No, not the tapping, a constant buzzing from the second row seats on the passenger side, I think. Damn, here we go again, I turn up the radio, and try to tune out the buzzing. Then, like Poe's "Tell Tale Heart", I begin to hear the Tap Tap Tapping again. My MDX has now become a cacophony of annoying little noises. They are like little Gremlins drilling on my exposed nerves. All the excitement and anticipation has turned to despair and disappointment, and just when I reached the office, my gremlin-plagued MDX gave me one last shiv in the back.

I tried to shift from drive to park, with the brake pedal firmly depressed, and it was stopped in neutral by the shift lock. I released the stick, and heard the shift lock click, and then I was able to move it to park. It now does this every time, I have to shift to neutral wait a second or two for the shift lock to click, before I can complete the shift to park.

It seems like the gremlins are using this forum to transport themselves. I came to it with a single problem, and left with several more.

Any advice on the following problems would be greatly appreciated:

1. Noisy Shift-Lock sticks in Neutral when shifting from Drive to Park, brake is firmly depressed.
2. Loud, Frequent, but Irregular Tapping from Left-side Dash.
3. Constant Buzzing from Second-Row Seats on Passenger-side
4. Wobbley Brake Pedal (shifts left and right).
5. The wooshing, whoopy cushion brakes (escaping air noise).
6. Marks on the pillar from the seat belt retracting.

Thanks!

J.T.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I half-way expected the same experience when I got mine.
But after 1900 miles I have :

Some horizontal play in the brake pedal if I intentionally try to move it laterally, normal braking it is just fine

No wooshing sound from the brakes

Shift lock feels just fine as it goes in or out of Park

Maybe a half dozen of the thin white threads

A couple of small marks on the pillars, but we are more careful now.

I have now gone 2 weeks with no ticking from the lower left of the dash.

Infrequently hear a soft thud from the rear.

No overflow of the gas tank when filling

No rear brake noise under any conditon

Eninge loosening up a bit, feels more aggressive, steering feels less stiff.. suspension settling in nice..as are the seats....I am liking this a lot!!!!!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I Absolutely Love this Forum!!! (Not Long)

So far my experience with my MDX has been nothing but positive.

No tapping noise.

Brakes are great. No wobble noticed. Stopping is smooth and firm.

No unusual noises.

Shifter is fine. Took a little getting used to but after a few days no problems.

Did have a noise from second row seats, went away after I pushed the head rest into its proper position.

No threads on seats yet.

Did have one small mark on pillar, think the dealer did this while going to the gas station.

Bottom line is so many positives about this vehicle that if you don't dwell on the negative you will love it.

Are you having buyers remorse?

·
Registered
671 Posts
I love this MDX (short)

My MDX was 100% trouble free until I read the forum, now it's 100% trouble free again - you'll find problems anywhere you look for them!

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Does anyone know how these little problems compare to other SUV's?

Are we all being too picky?

Mine arrives in a few weeks, I going to be spending my time listening and looking for all these problems....maybe I'll blame the kids....are we being too anal?

I'm sure all new vehicles have little problems....I'm going to crank up the tunes, put on my shades, and enjoy my MDX.

·
Registered
392 Posts
ByeByeChrysler said:

Are we all being too picky?

Mine arrives in a few weeks, I going to be spending my time listening and looking for all these problems....maybe I'll blame the kids....are we being too anal?

I'm sure all new vehicles have little problems....I'm going to crank up the tunes, put on my shades, and enjoy my MDX.
I don't know what problems to compare, since the only problem i have is a soiled spot on the door pocket, kind of glossy looking, that was there when I picked up my MDX. I assume the dealer will be able to clean it up at my first service. Only "clicking noise" I've noticed is cured when I shift the position of the outer rear seat shoulder harness buckle so it doesn't rattle against something on the door. In summary, I'm pretty delighted. Before this, I had an ML320 and to be honest, I never had any problems with it either.....well, not until it stranded me when nearly two years old and the onboard computer blew. Maybe I'm just lucky? By the way, noooo comparison between the X and the ML, Acura just did this vehicle incredibly well!:D

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
I have had NO problems of any significance with my X, and I still absolutely love it.

Last week I drove home from NYC with two of my partners. One of whom drives a 2002 BMW X5. He is still telling people how great the MDX is. He loved it as compared to his X5.

I have found this forum to be a wonderful exchange of ideas and information. Even if some of the information represents problems that I would never have noticed or thought of (ie brake peddle wobble).

Single biggest problem for me has been having to replace the velcro in the back that holds the cargo liner up under the rear winows. I suspect the heat is the culprit. Maybe when the novelty wears off I will try some super glue! And if thats the biggest problem...congrats to Acura for an awesome car!

·
Registered
747 Posts
CaveCanem--that's a great post--thanks for your recount and Welcome!

It's true, this place makes you neurotic and spend money like you would never expect to (have you seen the sylvania silverstars or upgraded your speakers yet?), but trust me, it's worth it in the long run!

Rob :31:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Absolutely no problems of any ...

... serious significance:cool: Still love the MDX.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm very happy with my MDX--no problems and fun to drive.

And I appreciate all the help others give in this forum. It has helped me with little things (the built-in gas cap holder that I didn't notice; mats from Tim to keep my boys from wrecking the interior). And it has given me ideas for things like dvd units and car top carriers.

So thanks all!!!!:6:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update on fix for tapping on Front Left Side.

Well I am feeling much better today, even though I had to spend quite abit of time with the Acura Service Department. I met Charlie the Service Manager, and he is a guy that will not let go of a problem until it is fixed to the customer's satisfaction. No pat answers; No standard excuses.

He is mailing me the Techline Sheet with the repair for this problem, but here is what he gave me over the phone.

TechLine Sheet
Start 2001-2002 (both 2001 and 2002 models affected)
Affects VINs after 2H532574
Symptom: Ticking or Clicking in the left or right front.
Cause: Spotweld Burrs on the front mount base of the front damper (strut).
Remedy: Remove damper and grind down all burrs. Apply touchup paint to affected area and reinstall.

I was taking this over the phone, and my shorthand is not very good, so I might have left something out. I will post it when I receive it in the next couple of days.

We spent about 30 minutes driving, both highway and city, until the ticking sound reappeared. I hate it when problems disappear with the mechanic and service manager in the car. However, it finally did rear its ugly head. It took quite awhile to isolate the problem, but they applied the fix. So far so good, no ticking (knock on simulated burlwood), but it's still too early to tell!

As for the other problems:

1. Of course, the shift lock works fine when I shift it for the mechanic, and is still working fine. So Hopefully that problem will not reemerge.

2. Constant Buzzing in the second row seats on the passenger side. I ran out of time for this one, but he has heard the problem, and is looking for a solution. It's not that intrusive that it can't wait for a scheduled maintenance. He thinks it might have something to do with the latch that folds, and moves the seat for access to the third row. We did eliminate the headrests as the problem.

3. Nicks on the Pillar: I have two white nicks on the dark grey part of the pillar, and I completely forgot to ask them about this problem. Any suggestions or fixes that you might have will be greatly appreciated?

4. Wobbley brake pedal and wooshing brakes: This is something that is in all models as he showed me with a couple of other MDXs. Not sure why Acura did it this way, but we will have to live with it. Not enough movement to cause your foot to slip off or prevent pedal from working properly, just expected better from Acura.

On the way home, I was very fortuitous to run into a very severe thunderstorm. There were a couple of three and four car accidents, and one near miss for me. The brakes and handling were flawless. I felt extremely comfortable driving in the poor conditions with tons of semis kicking up the spray. This is always a white-knuckle experience for me in my convertible Z28. That thing will hydroplane in a sprinkle, not to mention it is wheel high for all that truck mist. With the MDX, I felt above it all.

So no more Buyer's remorse for me!!! Even though it has not quite matched the flawless experience that I had with my '86 Honda CRX Si, it is still far better than any car I have owned to date.

That's it for now.

J.T.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Great info! Thanks, my vin starts with 2H523_ _ _ so I must be excluded.
I noticed like a clicky sound coming from the dash. Like plastic rubbing. I rarely hear it all any more.
The clicking you mention must sound more like it's in the structure of the car, and the sound is getting transmitted into the cabin. Mine was always kind of soft sounding too.
Anyway, sounds more like what others have complained about recently so that's probably it.
You will love this car more and more, believe me. At first you are checking everything out and really into all it's cool features, and then one day you are driving and think hell with all that, I love driving this!
Your great adventure is just starting!
It is a secure feeling vehicle. Just remember it does have a high center of gravity and it's very easy to lose a sense of speed. Have a blast, but keep a level head and be aware.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
ByeByeChrysler said:

I have had only the weeping mirror problem - which was fixed on the 3rd try by the dealer. No other issues that I can find - and I have had the MDX since 10/2001 & have 6600 miles.

This compares with my RX 300 that has had NO problems - have had it since 1/2001 & have 7000 miles.

So - I would say the MDX compares favorably in my case.

I absolutely love the MDX :4:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Back from Vacation with the Tech Line Ref #

I received the service report for the tapping on the left front side:

Customer states check cause tapping noise coming thru dash/engine compartment over little bumps check with A/C on.

Per Tec Line Ref #1073039 possible weld slag top of the left front strut - Remove the strut and grind the welds.

So far this problem has not comeback after logging over 1100 miles.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unfortunately the shifting problem has become more pronounced. It sticks in neutral nearly every time now. You have to wait for the shift lock to click before completing the shift to park. Anyone else having this problem?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, on our trip to Michigan we opened the rear windows to cool off the third row seat. The oscillation from the wind noise made me dizzy. I rolled down the driver side window and the problem went away, but it was the weirdest sensation. I have a feeling there is no solution to this problem, but what exactly causes it to be so severe? Any advice on quickly cooling a Black/Ebony MDX on a hot, humid 95 degree day, especially for those in the third row?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the whole, I love my MDX. I keep trying to compare it to my brother's RX300, and come away with more pluses than minuses. I am confident that all the little bugs I have been complaining about will be ironed out soon.

'Til later,

J.T.

·
Registered
242 Posts
In regards to the shift lock not engaging to park, I had a similar "issue" (I would not consider it a problem) when my MDX was brand new. I never heard the click but had difficulty moving the shift lever from drive to park in one motion. It was mainly due to the fact that I was trying to force the shift lever too hard to get it in park in one smooth motion. You shouldn't force it. Now that my car is broken-in, and I got more used to the shift lever, things work really smooth now. Just give it some time to break-in and don't force the shift lever to Park from Drive too hard. Do it in one smooth motion, but it takes some practice for your arm to learn. Hope this it helps.

For the seat belt marks on the pillar, don't release the seat belt after unbuckling;)

·
Registered
242 Posts
In regards to the shift lock not engaging to park, I had a similar "issue" (I would not consider it a problem) when my MDX was brand new. I never heard the click but had difficulty moving the shift lever from drive to park in one motion. It was mainly due to the fact that I was trying to force the shift lever too hard to get it in park in one smooth motion. You shouldn't force it. Now that my car is broken-in, and I got more used to the shift lever, things work really smooth now. Just give it some time to break-in and don't force the shift lever to Park from Drive too hard. Do it in one smooth motion, but it takes some practice for your arm to learn. Hope this it helps.

For the seat belt marks on the pillar, don't snap the seat belt after unbuckling;)

·
Registered
140 Posts
I must say that I sympathize with the original poster. Seldom have I obsessed over and rethought a decision as much as this one to order an MDX. I am spending way too much time on this forum, and re-think my decision every time I read a post about a new problem someone has with his or her MDX.

I hate buying cars, and I hate this wait for an MDX to arrive!

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Re: Back from Vacation with the Tech Line Ref #

CaveCanem said:

Unfortunately the shifting problem has become more pronounced. It sticks in neutral nearly every time now. You have to wait for the shift lock to click before completing the shift to park. Anyone else having this problem?
That is NOT normal. Something's wrong w/your shift interlock/solenoid. Sorry, don't have the service manual in front of me...it should be easily identified and fixed.

Wow, on our trip to Michigan we opened the rear windows to cool off the third row seat. The oscillation from the wind noise made me dizzy. I rolled down the driver side window and the problem went away, but it was the weirdest sensation. I have a feeling there is no solution to this problem, but what exactly causes it to be so severe? Any advice on quickly cooling a Black/Ebony MDX on a hot, humid 95 degree day, especially for those in the third row?
This is normal. Occurs on many other SUVs (RX included) and even on my Lex GS. There's nowhere for the wind to go, so you get the buffetting.

Ya gotta crack the front windows or the sunroof to avoid it.

Glad your other issues were resolved :) BTW, did you try repositioning the outboard seatbelt buckle in the 2nd row? It's the most common case of buzzing/tapping back there.

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
OK, got the '01 svc manual IFO me now. Page 14-8 sez "if shift lever cannot pass through R from N position, there is a problem in the reverse lock system of the interlock system. Troubleshooting steps are on p 14-119; all the troubleshooting is electrical, BTW. Should not be difficult to get fixed if that's indeed the cause...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I'm new to this forum today (8/3/02) and I wanted to respond. I rcvd. my X on 4/6/02 and was happy up until 2 wks after when I started hearing the noices.

I've been back to the dealer for service and complained to Acura Cust. Reps about the problem. I'm now waiting on a factory rep. to return from vacation to inspec my X. I'm so frustrated and tired of all the issues, that I'm ready to shoot.

So, in short, I can relate.

Fellis
02/touring w/nav / cargo pack/ visor/

1 - 20 of 21 Posts