Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if someone drove away in my running MDX, yet I still had the keyfob on me while standing outside of the vehicle, would the engine continue to run? Kind of imagining a carjacking scenario I guess.

Or put another way: If I was driving and threw the keyfob out of the window, would the engine continue to run? Just curious how it works. Thanks.

2019 MDX

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Yes. It would run until it was shut off or ran out of fuel. It would then not be able to be restarted until the keyfob is returned to its proximity.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I was wondering if someone drove away in my running MDX, yet I still had the keyfob on me while standing outside of the vehicle, would the engine continue to run? Kind of imagining a carjacking scenario I guess.

Or put another way: If I was driving and threw the keyfob out of the window, would the engine continue to run? Just curious how it works. Thanks.

2019 MDX

You do realize that you could have checked it yourself? It beeps when you walk away but ,it keeps running. Also wondering why you would throw the fob out the window?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes. It would run until it was shut off or ran out of fuel. It would then not be able to be restarted until the keyfob is returned to its proximity.

Thanks for your reply. I appreciate it.

You do realize that you could have checked it yourself? It beeps when you walk away but ,it keeps running.

I was actually wondering what would happen if someone drove away while I had the keyfob outside. I can't simulate that myself. Even if the result is the same as what you suggested, I didn't know that for sure which is why I asked people on the Internet who know more about the topic than I do. The Internet can be pretty useful in that way. Sorry if I wasted your electrons.

Also wondering why you would throw the fob out the window?

I wouldn't. That's why I titled the post "hypothetical".

Thanks for your contribution buddy!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Several years ago when I was purchasing a Mini Cooper, I was talking to the salesman about the keyless system and he told me a story about one of his customers.

As I recall a couple purchased one with the keyless system for her. One evening they went to dinner and upon arriving home he dropped her off and went to get gas. All was well until he started to go home, he couldn't start the car because being her car she had the fob and apparently he didn't carry one.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Valid question OP and it could very well happen in real life. My wife and I were in the car together, I walked inside the house with the key in my pocket and she left to pick up our son. I called and asked her to not turn the car off.
(Yes, there is a loud beep, but there was an event going on in our community and we both failed to hear it with the background music.)

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Valid question OP and it could very well happen in real life. My wife and I were in the car together, I walked inside the house with the key in my pocket and she left to pick up our son. I called and asked her to not turn the car off.
(Yes, there is a loud beep, but there was an event going on in our community and we both failed to hear it with the background music.)
Yes it’s a valid question. My only point was it is something that could be easily be checked yourself. Either by walking away with the car running or have someone drive it away. People have gotten so used to looking things up via forums or Google or Siri or whatever that they don’t think “Hey, I can find out in 5 minutes”. Maybe because I’m old enough to remember when it wasn’t so easy.

Reactions: jcat

·
Registered
895 Posts
+1 for easy to check yourself. Start the car, leave the fob on the driveway and drive away, see how far you get. How is that different than someone else driving the car away while you stand in the driveway holding the fob?

Reactions: jcat

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
+1 for easy to check yourself. Start the car, leave the fob on the driveway and drive away, see how far you get. How is that different than someone else driving the car away while you stand in the driveway holding the fob?
Depending on where you live,leaving it on the driveway may not be a good idea.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Depending on where you live,leaving it on the driveway may not be a good idea.
Yeah, yeah, but you get the point. 100 ways to skin this cat. Leave the fob with your wife, girlfriend, husband, boyfriend, mistress, side squeeze, tinder date...

·
Registered
713 Posts
New 2020 novel... "So my wife, kids, and I left on vacation.... we were doing fine - car was loaded with camping gear, dogs and kids were buckled in. Wife ran inside the house to change her purse to something more with camping. About 450 miles later we stopped for gas but the car wouldn't start.......................... "

I can see this one coming...................

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
New 2020 novel... "So my wife, kids, and I left on vacation.... we were doing fine - car was loaded with camping gear, dogs and kids were buckled in. Wife ran inside the house to change her purse to something more with camping. About 450 miles later we stopped for gas but the car wouldn't start.......................... "

I can see this one coming...................
There have already been stories like this. Even though the car alerts you,people don’t always pay attention. I speak from experience with the parking sensors. Virtually every feature has its pros and cons.

·
Registered
200 Posts

IMO, there wasn't a loud beep. When you walk away from running car with your key fob in your pocket, left driver side door open for your wife to get in, you're well out of the range by the time wife close driver side door. There will be no BEEP in this scenario, saying from an experience.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've inquired about the keyfob before and there were no easy answers to deal with a lost or misplaced, or accidentally hijacked keyfob. My old '03 Ford truck lets me in with a keypad code and an old broke-down key is in a known place in the interior of the vehicle. This is very comforting and has come in handy a few times! My grandson has an '01 Explorer and the first thing I bought him was a spare smart key so he's set up the same.

Why we can pay $50K+ for an MDX and still be literally stranded under so many different circumstances is beyond me. Smart phone Acura application? Useless. If you pay the $159/yr for AcuraLink Connect you can open your door with your smartphone app but can you start it? I don't think so.

After being stranded at a Sam's Club gas station while the Mrs was 1/4 mile across the parking lot in Sam's I've learned my lesson. Even if I'm not driving -- take my keyfob too. Good grief.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I've inquired about the keyfob before and there were no easy answers to deal with a lost or misplaced, or accidentally hijacked keyfob. My old '03 Ford truck lets me in with a keypad code and an old broke-down key is in a known place in the interior of the vehicle. This is very comforting and has come in handy a few times! My grandson has an '01 Explorer and the first thing I bought him was a spare smart key so he's set up the same.

Why we can pay $50K+ for an MDX and still be literally stranded under so many different circumstances is beyond me. Smart phone Acura application? Useless. If you pay the $159/yr for AcuraLink Connect you can open your door with your smartphone app but can you start it? I don't think so.

After being stranded at a Sam's Club gas station while the Mrs was 1/4 mile across the parking lot in Sam's I've learned my lesson. Even if I'm not driving -- take my keyfob too. Good grief.
This is the same situation with almost every car these days. Why complain about the Acura? Buy another key. Store it in the car with a piece of plastic between the battery contacts. Use the app or the metal key to get in the car. You’re all set.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Why we can pay $50K+ for an MDX and still be literally stranded under so many different circumstances is beyond me.
Yet somehow, after nearly 6 years of owning my 2014 MDX, and multiple coast to coast and other long trips, neither I nor my wife have been stranded even once. I've always been cognizant of the key and made sure I keep it close to me.

Even with a normal metal key in a more traditional car, whenever I've happened to switch drivers with my wife, like taking over where she's going to take off but it's currently running with her keys, I'll turn off the car, hand her her keys and start it again with my keys.

An advantage with the MDX remote type key - I can just keep the FOB in my pocket, and my wife keeps hers in her purse, and it never needs to be taken out and placed in various locations and potentially misplaced.

While I'm sure some people have found themselves stranded if they don't give the key a second thought I doubt it happens to most, especially once they get used to the idea of just keeping in their pocket or the like and making sure when switching drivers to turn the vehicle off and start it with the other key present.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts