Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jan 31, 2018 - TORRANCE, Calif.
2018 MDX Sport Hybrid features an upgraded user interface with standard Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ integration
Two new sporty red exterior colors
The 2018 Acura MDX Sport Hybrid begins arriving at Acura dealerships tomorrow, boasting an upgraded user interface and additional in-vehicle technology plus two new exterior colors, Basque Red Pearl II and San Marino Red. Pricing begins at a Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price (MSRP1) of $52,100 (excluding $995 destination and handling). Distinguishing the Sport Hybrid from the rest of the MDX lineup is the brand's signature three-motor Sport Hybrid Super Handling-All Wheel Drive™ system, which it shares with the 2018 NSX supercar and RLX Sport Hybrid.

The Acura MDX is the best-selling three-row luxury SUV of all time2 and has recently claimed AutoWeb's 2018 Buyer's Choice Award for the Luxury SUV category.

The 2018 MDX Sport Hybridshowcases Acura's Precision Crafted Performance DNA with its 3.0-liter, i-VTEC™ V6 engine and three-motor Sport Hybrid Super Handling-All Wheel Drive™ (SH-AWD®) system. With 321-peak horsepower3 and 289 lb.-ft. total peak torque on tap, the MDX Sport Hybrid is Acura's most powerful production SUV ever built. And, despite turning out 30 additional horsepower and a 45 percent higher EPA city fuel economy rating as compared to the conventionally-powered MDX SH-AWD, the MDX Sport Hybrid carries a nominal premium of only $1,500 over the conventional MDX SH-AWD®.

Two feature-rich model grades are offered: MDX Sport Hybrid with Technology Package and the MDX Sport Hybrid with Advance Package. Both grades feature unique interior trim, stainless steel sport pedals and wood interior accents. Technology Package models include seating for seven, while the range-topping Advance Package features a 6-passenger interior with second-row captain's chairs and a large second-row center console in place of a three-person bench seat.

2018 MDX Sport Hybrid Pricing and EPA Fuel Economy Ratings

Trim
MSRP

MSRP Including $995 Destination Charge

EPA MPG Rating4
City/Highway/Combined

MDX Sport Hybrid with Technology Package

$52,100

$53,095

26 / 27 / 27

MDX Sport Hybrid with Advance Package

$58,150

$59,145

26 / 27 / 27

What's new for 2018?
The MDX Sport Hybrid can be had in eight exterior paint colors including two new choices: Basque Red Pearl II for Technology models and San Marino Red for Advance versions. All models also feature a redesigned dual-screen user interface (ODMD 2.0), with more intuitive menus and command structures complemented by a new 7-inch capacitive touchscreen (previously resistive type) with 30-percent faster response times. Topping it all off is standard Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ integration.
Every MDX Sport Hybrid is equipped with the AcuraWatch™ suite of advanced safety and driver-assistive technologies. The contents of which include:

Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) with Low Speed Follow
Collision Mitigation Braking System™ (CMBS™)
Forward Collision Warning (FCW)
Lane Keeping Assist (LKAS)
Road Departure Mitigation (RDM) with Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
The 2018 MDX Sport Hybrid is now manufactured exclusively in East Liberty, Ohio using domestic and globally-sourced parts.

Key Features

Three-motor Sport Hybrid SH-AWD® powertrain
3.0-liter, i-VTEC V-6 engine
7-speed dual-clutch transmission (7DCT)
4-mode Integrated Dynamics System with SPORT+ mode
Active Dampers
Electric Servo Brake System
Exclusive interior trim
Body-color lower side sills and front/rear skid garnishes
SH-AWD badge on rear and Hybrid badges on front fenders

·
Registered
21 Posts
So the only differences with the '18 is the updated user interface and two red colors? Also confirming that it's impossible to get rear bench seating w the hybrid if you have the Advance package, correct?

·
Registered
90 Posts
JJL, I think you are correct on the difference from '17 to '18 Hybrid. You can still build both a '17 and a '18 Hybrid on Acura.com by clicking on the '2018' link to get the '2017' link. You can then check if they have different details.

·
Registered
801 Posts
JJL, I think you are correct on the difference from '17 to '18 Hybrid. You can still build both a '17 and a '18 Hybrid on Acura.com by clicking on the '2018' link to get the '2017' link. You can then check if they have different details.
Your signature indicates you have a 17 Sport Hybrid, is that correct? If so, did it come with Head-Up display? If so, can you confirm what information displays there, and if there is a setting/menu to select the info that displays on it?

In another thread another owner with a 17 Sport Hybrid mentioned that on their vehicle the only thing that displays on the Head Up display is warning lights, which is different then the description of the Head Up Display feature on Acura's website:

https://www.acura.com/technology/modals/head-up-display

·
Registered
90 Posts
bobby2478, We all will have to wait for the 2019 RDX to get our "Top Gun" HUD. My '17 Hybrid has a HUD but like all the posts say, it only flashes a amber "STOP" warning onto the windshield just before impact. It has flashed before when some idiot cuts me off on the highway and then goes off as he pulls away. (But in a former life I used a HUD all the time.)

·
Registered
964 Posts
Also confirming that it's impossible to get rear bench seating w the hybrid if you have the Advance package, correct?
I continue to be puzzled by Acura's gimmicks with regards to packaging of Advance features and options since 2015 when it came bundled with Entertainment package.

I am at cross-roads with this as I do desire Advance features, but require 7-seat configuration. It looks like 7-seater option IS possible with Advance, but only after adding Entertainment package.

Acura's build page lists the following under Entertainment Package:

INTERIOR

• Second-Row Bench Seating (even with Advance package)
  • MEDIA & CONNECTIVITY

When Combined with Technology Package:

• 9-in Full VGA Screen
  • 11th Speaker for Improved Surround Sound
  • Three position Second-Row Seating with Heated Outboard Seats
  • Rear Door Sun Shades
  • Two Wireless Headphones
  • Removable Ceiling-Mounted Remote Control
  • Front Center Console 110-volt Power Outlet

When Combined with Advance Package (includes Technology features plus)

• 16.2-in Ultra-Wide Full VGA Screen with Split Screen Capability
  • 12th Speaker for Improved Surround Sound

I'm still waiting to confirm the later as I'm currently deciding between 2018 MDX and XC90, but leaning towards the later.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
bobby2478, We all will have to wait for the 2019 RDX to get our "Top Gun" HUD. My '17 Hybrid has a HUD but like all the posts say, it only flashes a amber "STOP" warning onto the windshield just before impact. It has flashed before when some idiot cuts me off on the highway and then goes off as he pulls away. (But in a former life I used a HUD all the time.)
See,I told you so.

·
Registered
801 Posts
See,I told you so.
Please see my post in the other thread. I am definitely not arguing with you and am not disagreeing with what you say. You own the vehicle, I don't. By asking another owner here I was simply looking to clarify and confirm functionality with multiple sources as I haven't had the opportunity to play with one for myself and see first hand what it can or cannot do. Trust me, I believe you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Local dealer has a dozen or so 2018 Hybrids arriving in the next few weeks, but the tech package versions are all in Gray and Silver. What I want is a Tech package in Blue, but the sales manager said that a) most of the hybrids they receive are Advanced packages and b) colors tend to be Gray, Silver and Black as those are their big sellers. I'm trying to be patient as I realized the 2018 models just started to come out, but I'm frustrated. I don't want to be chasing a unicorn (blue Tech Hybrid), but I also feel like if I'm spending 50 grand on a car I should get what I want.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Local dealer has a dozen or so 2018 Hybrids arriving in the next few weeks, but the tech package versions are all in Gray and Silver. What I want is a Tech package in Blue, but the sales manager said that a) most of the hybrids they receive are Advanced packages and b) colors tend to be Gray, Silver and Black as those are their big sellers. I'm trying to be patient as I realized the 2018 models just started to come out, but I'm frustrated. I don't want to be chasing a unicorn (blue Tech Hybrid), but I also feel like if I'm spending 50 grand on a car I should get what I want.
Unless you will be getting a steal of a deal on inventory already on the lot is there a price difference to just order one in the color and options you want? I agree you shouldn't have to settle when you're spending that much. Only variable is price and how much the blue color is worth to you (assuming you have to pay more for a special order in blue). If special order and lot inventory pricing are close then it might be an option (if you want to wait that is)

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
^^^ I agree wtih @bobby2478

Dealers will order what they know SELLS in their market.

For example, I prefer black interior (but hate black exterior)... In the past I've also hated tan interiors. When I lived in Oregon, it was easy to find a combination I liked. However, now that I'm in North Carolina it's almost impossible to find black interior without a black exterior. That combination simply isn't popular here -- I think it has to do with the humidity. So I ended up buying from what was available -- a White Diamond Pearl and Parchment MDX. The Parchment actually looks great, imo. The fact that Acura kept a black dash really helps the vehicle look sharp and not just drown me in a sea of tan. The contrast piping on the Advance trim also really helps.

In my experience, a buyer has two options:

1) Find something on a dealers lot that you like well enough, then negotiate a deal.
2) Have the dealer order exactly what you want -- but accept that you'll pay dearly for that privilege.

·
Registered
801 Posts
This brings up a general question, looking for any observations from folks who have looked at special order vs lot pricing on 2018's (or 2017's last year).

In general when shopping for new MDX, for people who pushed for best price on lot inventory and special order, are dealers willing to offer the same discounts on new order vs inventory already on the lot? Obviously this equation changes in the fall when the new model year is on the horizon, but this early in the cycle it should be a fair comparison.

I'm in no rush to buy at the moment but if I ultimately decide on a 18 MDX then the question will be do I just wait and tell the dealer to call me when the vehicle I want shows up on the lot, or just special order one.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
My experience is:

1. If it's physically on their lot == open to negotiation and ultimately best price.
  2. If it's at a dealers sister store == open to negotiation, and decent price -- but maybe not quite as good as on THIS lot (by a few hundred $$$, usually).
  3. If it's not within the dealers network, but at a different dealership in the region == open to negotiation, and possibly okay price -- definitely not as good as within dealers locations.
  4. If it's not within the region and you have to "order" it == Probably MSRP. Best-case scenario is a "token" discount. Some dealers even try to sell for >MSRP because you're a captive audience. Avoid this option, if possible.

I try very hard to go with #1. I've found it better (for me) to compromise a little bit on color, or to buy a package "up" from what I originally wanted in order to stay with option #1.

Option 2 is fine, though, as long as you negotiate the price FIRST, and then insist that the vehicle be brought to you for inspection BEFORE you sign the paperwork.

I have had a bad experience with #3, so I won't do that, anymore.

I would only do option 4 if:
I LOVED the vehicle,
HAD to have it,
and planned to NEVER SELL it.

For example, I'd probably factory-order a new Corvette (and would even elect for delivery at the National Corvette Museum w/customized VIN plate)

·
Registered
801 Posts
My experience is:

1. If it's physically on their lot == open to negotiation and ultimately best price.
  2. If it's at a dealers sister store == open to negotiation, and decent price -- but maybe not quite as good as on THIS lot (by a few hundred $$$, usually).
  3. If it's not within the dealers network, but at a different dealership in the region == open to negotiation, and possibly okay price -- definitely not as good as within dealers locations.
  4. If it's not within the region and you have to "order" it == Probably MSRP. Best-case scenario is a "token" discount. Some dealers even try to sell for >MSRP because you're a captive audience. Avoid this option, if possible.

I try very hard to go with #1. I've found it better (for me) to compromise a little bit on color, or to buy a package "up" from what I originally wanted in order to stay with option #1.

Option 2 is fine, though, as long as you negotiate the price FIRST, and then insist that the vehicle be brought to you for inspection BEFORE you sign the paperwork.

I have had a bad experience with #3, so I won't do that, anymore.

I would only do option 4 if:
I LOVED the vehicle,
HAD to have it,
and planned to NEVER SELL it.

For example, I'd probably factory-order a new Corvette (and would even elect for delivery at the National Corvette Museum w/customized VIN plate)
I always assumed special order will cost more, however I feel like in reading through posts on the price thread, some people have been able to get discounts on special orders, the main variable seems to be if the dealer has a specific incentive now not all dealers always guarantee to offer you that incentive at the time of delivery as incentives may (likely will be) different at that point in time. And delivery is when you actually buy the vehicle.

Some dealers appeared to be willing to give ppl the better of incentives now vs incentives at delivery, whichever was better.

In general it's always cheaper to buy at the end of the month as dealers may be more aggressive in pricing to meet sales quotas. Also if Acura's sales as a whole are sluggish (as is the case to an extent now) they usually are willing to offer better discounts.

And of course outside of advertised incentives when giving you their best offer dealers will throw in other discounts to make the sale.

1. Has anyone actually gone through the motions to get the best price from the dealer on lot inventory, then looked at special order to get the best price on that, and compared the 2?
  2. Also, what % discount should one expect to be able to get on a non-hybrid MDX Advance with Entertainment? On TrueCar it appears that anything under 55k is a great price, which represents about 9% discount off of MSRP. However in the price thread 10%-15% off isn't unheard of (certainly isn't the norm however).

·
Registered
15 Posts
A dealer contacted me and said he had a blue hybrid Tech on order. I decided to put a deposit down to secure it. Probably won’t have too much wiggle room on pricing, but I’m happy that I don’t need to compromise on color and features. Should be arriving within 4-6 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.