Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know when we might get more MDX SHAWD Hybrid with Tech package in SoCal? I see a lot of Advanced packages but just one or two with Tech in 500 miles radius from San Diego.
I am hoping not to pay MRSP on these. I can wait until September but it will be hard. If the wait is unbearable, I might buy the base SHAWD that I can get for $42k + TTL.
The Hybrid would be awesome since I keep my cars for at least 10y,

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Hybrid won't make much sense in the long run because of Lithium Batteries lifespan. If my iPhone battery can't last 10 years let alone a Car...

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hybrid won't make much sense in the long run because of Lithium Batteries lifespan. If my iPhone battery can't last 10 years let alone a Car...
Need to research the warranty on these but on my Prius they are 10y warranty.
I know some people with a 12y Prius and the batteries are just fine. But you raise a good point.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By the way, can anyone give me some insight. I am between the base MDX SH-AWD and Hybrid Tech. Right now, I can get a base for $42k +TTL, the Hybrid I'll be lucky to get it a bit lower than MSRP since availability is an issue.
That said, I keep my cars for years. My current MDX is 2003 with 190k miles. I see myself keeping the new purchase for at least 10y. I like the Hybrid idea to recoup the investment in the long run saving in gas. Now with the current discounts in the regular MDX it makes a bit hard to justify the Hybrid despite the fact it has a Tech package that add to the cost. It's almost a $9k difference.
What would you guys do? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
If you can wait i would. If not, i don't think you would recoup the $9k difference no matter how long you drive the hybrid. At this point you just need to ask yourself if you really are more after that 7dct, the nicer torque availability, and the adaptive suspension.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Batteries are covered by warranty but this does not mean battery degradation by normal use is covered by it... The MDX Hybrid is not a Tesla.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you can wait i would. If not, i don't think you would recoup the $9k difference no matter how long you drive the hybrid. At this point you just need to ask yourself if you really are more after that 7dct, the nicer torque availability, and the adaptive suspension.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Yeah, I have been reading the reviews and most are praising the Hybrid. I'll try to wait until end of a September to see if the dealers will have more inventory and discount out of MSRP.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Now with the current discounts in the regular MDX it makes a bit hard to justify the Hybrid
I posted some math on the other hybrid thread - http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/147977-has-anyone-here-taken-delivery-sport-hybrid.html

The end result is that it takes a long time, 5 years with average miles/year, to recoup the extra cost of the hybrid option and that's with the assumption that discounts would be even between the two and the hybrid ending up only $1500 more than the non-hybrid. With a disparity in discount with the non-hybrid being discounted more, assuming that's that case (I don't know whether it is or not), it'd be even longer to recoup the extra cost of the hybrid based on the improved gas mileage of it. Go over to the other thread and you can see what I calculated.

If the hybrid truly is more responsive and/or has better handling and if one would drive it in a way to notice the difference (if any) and they don't care about towing a trailer, then it has some value added above the gas mileage difference.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the post.
I notice on the sticker price the annual gas savings was close of $500 between the regular SHAWD and Hybrid.
But it's true that there are some features on the hybrid that are getting praise. But I do agreed with your point of being a new tech that could become an issue down the road for people like me that keep the car for a long period after the warranty expires.
Decisions, decisions...

·
Registered
869 Posts
Gas savings will depend upon how much of your driving is "city" driving. If you never leave Manhattan, your savings could be yuge. If you never leave the Interstate, it could be zero.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
^ Fair point...
I also agree, Hybrid gas savings will be more noticeable if you hardly do any Highway travel with it....
City is where the MDX takes a big huge toll on MPGs, Highway? Not so much, My current best on my oldie 5 Speed 2G MDX is 34mpgs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gas savings will depend upon how much of your driving is "city" driving. If you never leave Manhattan, your savings could be yuge. If you never leave the Interstate, it could be zero.
True, I would say 70% of my driving is city and 30% hwy.
With my current MDX, the best I could get was 22hwy and my average on the city is 14/15. That's why if I can get 10 miles more in the city than my current average is enticing me.

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
My quotes so far show a $4,000 difference between an awd advance and a hybrid advance. I know I'll never get the money back from gas. But I like the plated pedals and the painted lower molding. It's supposed to handle better also. I also like the blue SH on the back.

·
Registered
869 Posts
But I like the plated pedals and the painted lower molding. [...] I also like the blue SH on the back.
In a world where women ( and some men ) pay thousands of dollars for plastic bags with designer logos, who's to say what defines value?

But if it's 0.2 seconds quicker to 60mph, it's totally worth it... >:)

·
Registered
2,613 Posts
In a world where women ( and some men ) pay thousands of dollars for plastic bags with designer logos, who's to say what defines value?

But if it's 0.2 seconds quicker to 60mph, it's totally worth it... >:)
Us news and world report says the hybrid actually gets worse mileage on the highway. 60 miles range less. That's important to my wife. She hates putting gas in the car. She takes a sewing trip. She can go round trip on one tank. That 60 miles could make a difference. It's hard to explain the gas savings when I tell her she may have to put gas in the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts