Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping for some input from Hybrid owners. Recently our MPG has taken about a 4MPG dip. The MDX is never going into hybrid mode on any IDS setting from comfort to Sport (Sport+ never goes into EV mode) and never getting power to the rear wheels. Also, the in dash “ready” light is on so the system is seemingly working properly. We can’t figure out why, any input would be appreciated!!

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Hoping for some input from Hybrid owners. Recently our MPG has taken about a 4MPG dip. The MDX is never going into hybrid mode on any IDS setting from comfort to Sport (Sport+ never goes into EV mode) and never getting power to the rear wheels. Also, the in dash “ready” light is on so the system is seemingly working properly. We can’t figure out why, any input would be appreciated!!

You are asking for information while not giving any yourself. What year? Where are you? Is it cold where you are? Also,you are showing no range. That indicates either you are out of gas or you have other issues. Bring it in for service. Is that 21 miles all highway? EV mode doesn’t kick in on the highway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

You are asking for information while not giving any yourself. What year? Where are you? Is it cold where you are? Also,you are showing no range. That indicates either you are out of gas or you have other issues. Bring it in for service.
It’s a 2017 model year, temperate conditions (40’s/50’s). There are no other issues, not sure what that comment was in reference to. Yes it shows zero miles on the range as I’ve been cycling through full tanks of fuel to trouble shoot the EV issue.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
It’s a 2017 model year, temperate conditions (40’s/50’s). There are no other issues, not sure what that comment was in reference to. Yes it shows zero miles on the range as I’ve been cycling through full tanks of fuel to trouble shoot the EV issue.
You are running it to empty? That’s not a good idea. Does the engine shut down when you are idling?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You are running it to empty? That’s not a good idea. Does the engine shut down when you are idling?
No, unfortunately it’s not shutting down at idle regardless of the fuel level. The driving style hasn’t changed. We purchased it in Jan of 2018, this just started within the last few weeks.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
No, unfortunately it’s not shutting down at idle regardless of the fuel level. The driving style hasn’t changed. We purchased it in Jan of 2018, this just started within the last few weeks.
You may have to bring it in. Also again,are you really running out of gas to check the mileage? What does the battery indicator show? I guess it shows a full battery.

·
Registered
60 Posts
You definitely need to take it to the dealer. Maybe a software glitch. If it's anything more than that, your covered for 8yrs on the hybrid battery & components. Let us know what they find.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Op. There is definitely a computer problem. The only way the range should ever be 0 is if you are stranded on the side of the road waiting for gas. The computer being messed up would probably have an effect on switching to EV MODE.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Hi, So here's what I've noticed on my 2020 MDX Hybrid
For a year, travelling the same roads and driving the same way, I got about 31mpg. Dutin COVID, I hit 40mpg

mpg began falling off October 3 (after refill at Shell in NC), however, I was still able to 28mpg if I tried, driving home to PA
mpg became MUCH worse after the recall update. Now 25 is the best I can do, trying hard.

downhill engine breaking instead of motor breaking, as evidenced by rpm
engine runs too long (does not always shut off when motion has stopped, even for a few minutes)
engine stays at higher rpm, seems to favor 2K-3K, rather than 1K-2K
engine starts too soon, when battery/motors could easily suffice
Battery stays topped up and gets to full charge (never seen that before)

The dealer gave me some song and dance and told me to go away

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, So here's what I've noticed on my 2020 MDX Hybrid
For a year, travelling the same roads and driving the same way, I got about 31mpg. Dutin COVID, I hit 40mpg

mpg began falling off October 3 (after refill at Shell in NC), however, I was still able to 28mpg if I tried, driving home to PA
mpg became MUCH worse after the recall update. Now 25 is the best I can do, trying hard.

downhill engine breaking instead of motor breaking, as evidenced by rpm
engine runs too long (does not always shut off when motion has stopped, even for a few minutes)
engine starts too soon, when battery/motors could easily suffice
Battery stays topped up and gets to full charge (never seen that before)

The dealer gave me some song and dance and told me to go away
DURING COVID [no idea what Dutin is]

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
I have a 19 MDX Adv hybrid with 20,000 miles and 25 mpg seems to be my overall lifetime avg. My mpgs have bumped up a little bit since March because I moved and my driving is now 90% city compared to 50/50 split before. I've seen the occasional 30-40 mpg range on short runs; but, the tank would even out to the 24-26 by the next fill-up.

Temps in NM are usually in the 50s/60s during winter. Depending on where you live, I can see winter fuel, cold/freezing temps, and running the heater (cabin/seats/auto windshield heater) might require more V-6 power to maintain. I'm lucky to see 21-22 mpg at/below freezing temps.

·
Super Moderator
1,795 Posts
Are you driving in Sport / Sport+ mode? I see higher RPM behavior when driving in either mode, comparing to Comfort/Normal. My MPG has not change much since software update, but did notice battery is charging up to 85~90% more frequent then before (70~75% prior update).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Last month I bought a CPO 2018 MDX Hybrid Advance. The car drives beautifully and I'm really happy with it. I've owned several Toyota hybrid SUV's (Rav4, Highlander and a Lexus NX-300h) and I have to say the MDX surpasses them all.

I've been able to answer just about all my questions about the car through the owners manual and this forum. But one thing I can't seem to figure out is whether there's a way to tell if the car is in EV mode. I know EV mode is working because the power distribution monitor tallies my EV mileage. I just want to know if there's a setting or indicator light that will tell me when EV has been activated (my toyotas have all had this feature). Thanks...

·
Registered
275 Posts
Last month I bought a CPO 2018 MDX Hybrid Advance. The car drives beautifully and I'm really happy with it. I've owned several Toyota hybrid SUV's (Rav4, Highlander and a Lexus NX-300h) and I have to say the MDX surpasses them all.

I've been able to answer just about all my questions about the car through the owners manual and this forum. But one thing I can't seem to figure out is whether there's a way to tell if the car is in EV mode. I know EV mode is working because the power distribution monitor tallies my EV mileage. I just want to know if there's a setting or indicator light that will tell me when EV has been activated (my toyotas have all had this feature). Thanks...
when the tach shows Zero rpm the car is in full EV mode. Otherwise look at the power distribution screen. it will show if the electric motors are supplying power (helping drive), charging, or doing nothing.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
The MDX sport hybrid isn't a traditional hybrid for maximizing mpgs. It can go into EV mode; but, it has a very limited set of parameters for full EV mode. I've never seen it in pure EV mode in reverse and it always seems to add V-6 power to EV or EV to NA V-6 to meet the power requirements at the time. You have to be very light on the throttle and/or traveling at a constant city speed to see more EV mode from the MDX hybrid. Sometimes, you might be calculating EV mode with V-6 running because the battery pack is being charged. As long as I'm between 24-26 mpg average per tank, I'm 100% fine letting the hybrid do its thing.

·
Registered
275 Posts
yup, the MDX hybrid is not the typical

"we give you ALL the EV operation we can even if that affects performance and yes it is not as fast accelerating as the non hybrid, because we KNOW ALL you want is MAX mpg"

When driving around town after warm up at speeds up to about 45mph if I'm on a level or downhill road at constant speed my MDX will usually go into full EV mode. On typical trips of 10 miles or so, I might hit full EV mode of 1 -2 miles. about 1/2 from constant speed, the other half when letting off the gas for stoplights, stop signs etc. The VERY best I do is on a trip to the local grocery store about 3 miles away. On the way to the store the car is usually warming up and I get maybe get a few tenth miles of EV mode. On the way back if traffic is light and I can maintain a constant 35mph speed limit I'll get 1.5 EV only miles, but that is by far the exception.

It is clear to me that it is balanced between performance and EV mode. On acceleration from a stop it seems like it could use EV mode more than it does. It is VERY hard to go from a stop to any speed in EV mode. You need to be egg shell light on the throttle. After getting used to the vehicle my strategy is to accelerate at a reasonable rate to the speed I want to get to then back off and see if it will go into EV mode.

And based on my use of the scanguage, and reading the manual EV mode is NOT activated in reverse. I also notice in reverse when backing slowly or up and incline I can feel some clutch shudder from the wet clutch. In drive the electric motor is used to assist as the clutch is engaged to eliminate the biggest complaint of a DCT, shudder and inconsistent, and rough clutch engagement from idle to drive. Acura uses either an electric motor or a torque converter to eliminate that drawback of a DCT.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I do understand how, when and why EV mode works with the car. I'm simply looking for a way to tell when EV is engaged. The tachometer suggestion would do the trick, so I'll check that out. Thanks again.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I do understand how, when and why EV mode works with the car. I'm simply looking for a way to tell when EV is engaged. The tachometer suggestion would do the trick, so I'll check that out. Thanks again.
tach will tell you when it is ONLY EV mode. However in lots of driving it is a combo of EV and gas, the power distribution monitor will show when it is gas only, partial EV mode or charging the batteries. Even when driving on the highway much of the time it is in partial EV mode. I'll see the battery charge up as traffic slows us down, then deplete as we go back to steady speed. Even at steady speed it will often use some electric assist. But it is very seamless.

I have a device called scangauge plugged into the OBDII port. one of the items it can monitor is the HV battery current. That tells when the EV mode is applied (discharging the battery) or when the battery is being charged. On braking in town I often see charging currents in the 100A range from regen braking,

·
Registered
4 Posts
Interesting. What do you look for on the power distribution monitor? I'm gonna guess that blue means gas and green means EV?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts