Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,I’m going on a long trip. I may have to have my first service before it’s due. I have 7900 miles on it now. Those of you who have had your first service. What does it consist of? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Hello,I’m going on a long trip. I may have to have my first service before it’s due. I have 7900 miles on it now. Those of you who have had your first service. What does it consist of? Thanks.
What is your MID indicating? Probably A1 or B1?

I always do a "B" regardless if A or B is displayed. So:

oil+filter change.
tire rotation.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is your MID indicating? Probably A1 or B1?

I always do a "B" regardless if A or B is displayed. So:

oil+filter change.
tire rotation.
It’s not showing up yet. That’s why I’m asking.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
It’s not showing up yet. That’s why I’m asking.
It's probably B1... But you can check:

1. Turn the ignition on.
  2. Use the scroll wheel on the right side of the steering wheel to scroll down to "Vehicle Settings". Push the scroll wheel to select.
  3. Scroll down to "Maintenance Info." Push the scroll wheel to select.
The display should show you the next maintenance codes that are scheduled to trigger -- even if you haven't gone down to 15% oil life yet.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's probably B1... But you can check:

1. Turn the ignition on.
  2. Use the scroll wheel on the right side of the steering wheel to scroll down to "Vehicle Settings". Push the scroll wheel to select.
  3. Scroll down to "Maintenance Info." Push the scroll wheel to select.
The display should show you the next maintenance codes that are scheduled to trigger -- even if you haven't gone down to 15% oil life yet.
Thanks. It’s a1. Perhaps tire rotations are different on the hybrid.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
At 7900 miles I suggest doing an oil/filter change and a tire rotation.

The tire rotation on a hybrid s/b no different than the non-hybrid - 7900 miles is plenty to warrant a rotation. While you're at it, make sure the tire pressures are at spec before this trip.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Thanks. It’s a1. Perhaps tire rotations are different on the hybrid.
“1” is the tire rotation.

A is oil change, without filter.
B is oil change, with filter, plus inspection.

Even if A is indicated, I encourage changing the filter, too.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At 7900 miles I suggest doing an oil/filter change and a tire rotation.

The tire rotation on a hybrid s/b no different than the non-hybrid - 7900 miles is plenty to warrant a rotation. While you're at it, make sure the tire pressures are at spec before this trip.
I bought the service plan. It was only $1000 for 4 years. Since it’s not called for,they may want to charge me for the tire rotation. We will see.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Since it’s not called for,they may want to charge me for the tire rotation. We will see.
Normally the recommended tire rotation schedule by default for most vehicles is 5000 miles, which you're already over. I think on the MDX they tie the tire rotation to the oil change simply for convenience - it's easier to do both at the same time. I've found the oil change interval to be typically very roughly 6500-8000 miles or so depending on whether you change it at 25%, 10%, 5%, etc. oil life left. A tire rotation has no out of pocket costs for them - just 10-15 minutes of time, sometimes with the most junior tech there since it's so simple to do.

I'd be very surprised and disappointed if they refused to do a tire rotation if you're going to have them do the oil/filter, which is likely due soon anyway. btw - how much oil life left does your MID say there is?

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It’s 20%. Remember that the ICE doesn’t run all the time. Around town,the ICE may only run 60% of the time.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I can’t imagine changing the oil and not the filter.
My mistake on A1. Oil and tire rotation.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The one time I hit 0% oil life remaining on my 2014, and I might be the only one here who hit 0% (I was almost done with a coast to coast and back trip when it hit), it happened at almost exactly 10,000 miles. This pretty much lines up with the other oil change intervals I've done on it with mileage vs oil life remaining.

You're at 7900 miles and 20% oil life left which lines up almost exactly with my experience on my 2014 - i.e. if your oil life remains fairly linear yours will hit 0% at around 10,000 miles, give or take 100 miles or so.

That means that if your trip will be less than 2000 miles in total, you could just wait until you get back from the trip to do the oil/filter change (plus tire rotation). If it was me though, I'd be biased to doing the first oil change earlier rather than later so I'd do it now but you might want to keep this flexibility in mind if it fits with what your plans are or if the pre-purchased plan doesn't cover it, in which case this would be a reason to avoid those plans. I'd do the tire rotation at the same time since doing it at 10k miles is already pushing it for that (although I did my rotation at the 10K mark for that oil change interval I hit).

If you do decide to wait longer on the oil change you should at least check the level of the oil to make sure you're not a quart down - something that could happen within the 7900 miles. If it's low then either go ahead and have it changed or add a quart.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have scheduled service. There is no way I’m going down to 0 on my first service. Rather be safe then sorry. The SA said having the service done early even with the prepaid plan is no problem.
Thanks all.
Checked oil. Top of line at 7900 miles. No oil use. Great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts