Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're looking into getting a hybrid car as our commute car, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Commute car should have a good crash rating as first criteria then price and MPG.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Insight is a very well engineered car. It's a smart choise to use to commute. But I would find out what the magnetic from the electric motor will do to human body, like the cellular phone.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I have a friend with a Toyota Prius and I am very impressed by it. I think it is much more of a "real" car than the Insight - which I have also driven - and it also has a more sophisticated hybrid system. I'd definitely consider it.

Tom

rliggayu said:
We're looking into getting a hybrid car as our commute car, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Have you considered the Civic Hybrid? Looks like a normal Civic with better mileage.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Guess a lot depends upon your motivators:

Are you trying to save gas to lower operating costs?
-or-
Are you concerned about the environment?
-or-
[whatever]

If you are looking to lower operating costs, I would calculate the difference in annual costs w and w/o hybrid. THEN I would look at how much more the hybrid cost. Unless you drive a lot [maybe a heck of a lot] of miles, you may find that the hybrid costs more overall than a conventionally powered vehicle.

Other posts mention Honda and Toyota products. All of their conventional vehicles are pretty much bullet proof [you can expect long term reliability]. I wouldn't be willing to bet the farm on the hybrids yet [time will tell]. Addtionally, conventional Hondas/Toyotas all hold their value really well. What will the hybrids do over time.

Soooo ... depends upon your motivators, your pioneering spirit, etc.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Depends on type of commuting, too

The all-electric, non-hybrid doesn't seem like it has any viable offerings, but it depends on your commute.

It might be worth the time savings to you to be able to drive alone in the commuter lane (at least in California, don't know about other states). Or, your commute might be kind of short and on lower speed roads, where that new road-legal golfcart sort of vehicle (don't remember name, may be manufactured by Daimler-Chrysler?). To me, I wouldn't want to be on the road in the golfcart thingy next to real autos (like my 'X, or a semi :eek: ), but it might fit the bill for certain situations.

For what it's worth, reviews of the latest hybrids have been pretty positive, specifically regarding the ability to get up hills and go on the freeway. But they're not racecars -- but that's not what you're expecting, anyway.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Hybrids don't qualify for driving alone in commuter lane

At least in California, vehicles that use any gas, no matter how little, don't qualify for riding alone in the commuter lane.

(That's why you can't drive the ULEV MDX solo in the commuter lane.)

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Insight & Civic Hybrid

My next door neighbor has an Insight and two doors over they have a Civic hybrid.

The Insight really does get over 50 mpg consistently. The Civic hybrid (CVT) gets over 45 according to its owner.

The Insight feels pretty good from the passenger seat, never drove it. Visibility seems fairly good, but I would not feel good parking this think in a typical truck filled parking lot, I've seen a few with the rear valence smashed from a truck bumper copntact.

The Civic drives like a regualr a Civic. It seems just a bit less zippy and a bit "heavier" but only when you drive it back to back with a regualr Civic.

I do not like the low driving position of the Insight, though some people would be ok with it and it's no worse than a Miata. The Civic has the exact same seating position as the regualr Civic...

Basically I really like the idea. Even if you don't have areally long commute (where the fuel savings would justify the expense of buying) the idea of generating so much less pollution & CO2 is very neat, as are the high tech aspects...

When the CRV Hybrid comes out I will give it serious consideration. Between our two Labs & the baby (and her stroller, car seat, toys) a Civic doesn't maek much sense...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Taiwanese said:
But I would find out what the magnetic from the electric motor will do to human body, like the cellular phone.
I read a report a few months ago about some testing that had been done to understand the extent of the electromagnetic field in these cars. I recall that the conclusion was not good; something similar to living near high tension power lines. Having said that, the effect of exposure to high electromagnetic radiation is still highly debated.

It it was me, I'd go all gas . . . like a Civic or Corrolla.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Civic Hybrid

I just purchased a Civic Hyprid because I am tired of burning up gas--not because I am trying to save money. I traveled 300 miles yesterday with 48.0 miles per gallon average. The Civic Hybrid is more refined than the regular Civic, with a quieter ride, comfortable seats and surprisingly quick pick-up. I never felt I couldn't keep up even at 80 mph. You have to drive it to believe it.

Of course, it is a car, and sits lower than my MDX, but it has a five-star safety rating, and boasts side air bags... A little less refined than the Integra that I traded for it, but fully functional. A long way from the Toyota Prius and Honda Insight--which I also considered, along with the VW Diesel Golf.

Anyone know a forum for the Honda Civic.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Civic hybrid or the Insight !
:29: :29: :29:

·
Registered
383 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts