Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got hit by a semi-truck on friday. I love this car so much and this make me feel bad and sad.:crying2::crying2::crying2:

Got a quoted from Honda Collision Center for $3700. Is that reasonable?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Does it matter if that is reasonable? the car is pretty darn new so I think it is.
But obviously getting a second opinion cant hurt, go to a decent body shop and ask.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
The repair cost from accidents is always higher than it seems it would be - often significantly so. Sometimes there's damage to the vehicle you can't see from the outside such as brackets, wiring harnesses, etc. Whether the quote you received is reasonable or not is hard to say and no one can answer that from looking at a few pictures. The best way to see if it's reasonable is to take the vehicle to several decent body repair places, get quotes from all of them, and then compare the quotes. If there's a big difference in quotes you should make sure the lowest one is really including all areas that the more expensive one is including. They also almost always include the disclaimer that the costs could go higher once they take the bumper, etc. off and can see damage behind the hidden areas.

I understand the disappointment of having your pristine vehicle damaged like this, it's frustrating, but when we drive a vehicle on the road something like this, just like door scratches and debris damage, can always happen. The main thing is that you're not hurt. The damage will get fixed and you probably won't even be able to tell it was damaged once they get done with the repair.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The repair cost from accidents is always higher than it seems it would be - often significantly so. Sometimes there's damage to the vehicle you can't see from the outside such as brackets, wiring harnesses, etc. Whether the quote you received is reasonable or not is hard to say and no one can answer that from looking at a few pictures. The best way to see if it's reasonable is to take the vehicle to several decent body repair places, get quotes from all of them, and then compare the quotes. If there's a big difference in quotes you should make sure the lowest one is really including all areas that the more expensive one is including. They also almost always include the disclaimer that the costs could go higher once they take the bumper, etc. off and can see damage behind the hidden areas.

I understand the disappointment of having your pristine vehicle damaged like this, it's frustrating, but when we drive a vehicle on the road something like this, just like door scratches and debris damage, can always happen. The main thing is that you're not hurt. The damage will get fixed and you probably won't even be able to tell it was damaged once they get done with the repair.

Good luck with it.
Thanks mdxstang.
This is my 1st and will be last collision, so something new for me that i don't know much.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
and will be last collision
Unfortunately the only way you can ensure that is by never being on the road. We all only have limited control regarding whether we'll be in a collision or not. You could be just sitting there at a full stop and someone can ram into you. You could have your car just parked in a parking lot or on a street and someone can run into it. We do what we can to avoid collisions, and newer tech features are helping in this regard, but we can't guarantee they'll never happen. I hope it works out for you (and the rest of us) and you don't have any more though.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cool......was just wondering why you would care how much the repair charge was, irrelevant, right?
Well i thought just a front bumper why is it cost that much? lol. I guess it's a new car.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Cool......was just wondering why you would care how much the repair charge was, irrelevant, right?
How much a repair costs is relevant. The more expensive the repairs are,the more expensive your premiums are. One way or another,you are paying for it. There is also a crease in the fender.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I see a new bumper, left garnish, and headlight for sure. Probably the absorber and impact bar too. Fender might be able to be saved.

$3700 sounds pretty good. If you're not at fault, and the other party pays? Unless the damage is beyond what their liability limit is, it really doesn't matter what the "price" of the repair is.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Bumper, headlamp and fender along with the garnish. List price on an MDX headlamp is $950, bumper is $625 plus paint, fender is $425 plus paint, garnish is $110. That's already 2K in parts, plus paint and labor.

The damage doesn't seem bad at all. I'd be concerned with them making sure the paint matches as its a tad hard to get white to match properly.

Honestly don't use a dealership repair shop. They treat you like a Mcdonald's customer trying to get you in and out of the shop as fast as possible.

Find your own shop that offers a lifetime warranty on the work. Ask some custom shops in your area as to who they recommend. I found a shop that does bodywork on a multitude of cars and handles the overflow from the local ferrari/maserati dealership when they can't handle all the bodywork. They hooked my car up way better than the repair the dealership bodyshop did.

·
Registered
237 Posts
How much a repair costs is relevant. The more expensive the repairs are,the more expensive your premiums are. One way or another,you are paying for it. There is also a crease in the fender.
Interesting, not here. Not directly like that anyways.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bumper, headlamp and fender along with the garnish. List price on an MDX headlamp is $950, bumper is $625 plus paint, fender is $425 plus paint, garnish is $110. That's already 2K in parts, plus paint and labor.

The damage doesn't seem bad at all. I'd be concerned with them making sure the paint matches as its a tad hard to get white to match properly.

Honestly don't use a dealership repair shop. They treat you like a Mcdonald's customer trying to get you in and out of the shop as fast as possible.

Find your own shop that offers a lifetime warranty on the work. Ask some custom shops in your area as to who they recommend. I found a shop that does bodywork on a multitude of cars and handles the overflow from the local ferrari/maserati dealership when they can't handle all the bodywork. They hooked my car up way better than the repair the dealership bodyshop did.
So you don't think the dealership is not good on this case? Because I don't know if I use other shop are they going to use OEM parts or Aftermarket Parts? Because this is a new car I don't want any Aftermarket Parts on my car. That's the only concern I have.

I have Insurance Companies try to cut the cost down and use all Aftermarket for cheap, but not with this car.

I'll look around for some good and reliable shops. Thanks for suggestions.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Did any of the new Acura Watch safety gear help alert and lessen the accident impact or were they zero help?

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
So you don't think the dealership is not good on this case? Because I don't know if I use other shop are they going to use OEM parts or Aftermarket Parts? Because this is a new car I don't want any Aftermarket Parts on my car. That's the only concern I have.

I have Insurance Companies try to cut the cost down and use all Aftermarket for cheap, but not with this car.

Yanno, a dealer just subs out body work to a body shop too. The car is new enough that they shouldn't be using non-OEM parts (usually for about the first year). After that, your insurance dictates what you use (you need to read your fine print on your policy), but some body shops will find a way to make it work.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did any of the new Acura Watch safety gear help alert and lessen the accident impact or were they zero help?
The collision warning is useless in this accident, didn't give me any warning or alert at all. Its work other times but when it happened "nothing."

·
Registered
391 Posts

In some states allow insurance companies to use after market parts while other states, by law, the insurance company has to use OEM. In MA, insurance companies are allowed to use after market parts.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
The collision warning is useless in this accident, didn't give me any warning or alert at all. Its work other times but when it happened "nothing."
What speed were you traveling at? I ask because I've noticed that my CMBS also doesn't warn sometimes and I think it's speed related (like the rest of AWP, works best over a certain speed, low speeds be damned).

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I know for my CMBS on my 11 MDX, the system isn't activated under 10 mph. The CMBS system may/may not brake if the closing speed is too slow or the distance is too short. You might have been outside of the safety parameters of AWP for it to work? Kinda sucks it works best when you don't really need it.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts