Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 2014 MDX got flooded out from Hurricane Harvey. I need to empty it out and get it towed from my flooded garage. I've got two questions.

1. How do I open the tailgate without power? Is there a hidden switch somewhere?

2. How do I shift it into neutral in order to push it out?

Thanks,
Jim

·
Registered
9 Posts
On the inside of the hatch there's a plastic panel in the center towards the bottom of the hatch. Pry open the panel. There's a lever inside. Push it towards the driver's side while pushing the gate open.

·
Registered
9 Posts
To get it into neutral, you have to turn a stud on top of the transmission.

mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/116194-how-do-you-put-2016-mdx-into-neutral.html

Might be easier to have the tow truck use dollies and drag it out.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
Sorry to hear you're having to deal with this.

How submersed did it get? I assume it must have been deep enough to cause the power to fail somehow.

If the insurance company deems it salvageable I'd think you'd want to get the carpet and any other soft parts removed asap to mitigate mold and corrosion. I also expect body shops all around there will be very busy for awhile.

·
Registered
870 Posts
2014 MDX has the 6-speed trans with a mechanical shift linkage, NOT the 9-speed shift-by-wire used in 2016+. To release shifter in 2014 without power, pop off the black plastic cover in front of the shifter. Then push the key ( out of the fob ) or a screwdriver tip into the exposed slot, and while holding that in, pull the release button on the shifter and pull it into the Neutral position.

Attachments

·
Registered
961 Posts
FWIW, if the insurance company does not classify the loss as "Total", do not accept their decision without having a qualified shop or independent appraiser give you a second opinion.

If they do classify it as a total, do some research to make sure that they are giving you a fair price. Lots of companies low ball you with their offers. You do not have to accept any offer that you deem is unfair.

Lastly, be very aware of the possibility of a replacement vehicle having flood damage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies...

For the issue around shifting it into neutral, Wanderlust's response looked to be the solution. The towing company hooked up a jumper battery and was able to shift it into neutral. No luck with the engine. The flood waters came up to the top of the steering wheel.

For the tailgate, I never got around to trying djlandkpl's suggestion.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
The flood waters came up to the top of the steering wheel.
That likely caused major damage to all kinds of components including the expensive drive train components so it seems there's a good chance it'll be totaled.

I hope your home and its contents weren't too damaged as well.

It's a good time to avoid buying used cars in the Houston area for the next 6 months or so.

Please let us know how this story ends.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts