Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Husband is out of town and my A/C has stopped working, any advice on how I can get this going would be much appreciated!

Here's the sequence of events:

-A/C stopped blowing consistently cold air, volume of air out of vents is unaffected, just temperature has changed
-A/C lost any cold at all, blowing hot air
-purchased refrigerant with valve and gauge and a man at O'Reilley's helped me fill on the low side. We noticed it was leaking from high pressure Schrader valve
-A/C worked well for about a day
-A/C began to lose cold and blow hot air
-Hubby advised I use a tool to tighten high pressure Schrader valve
-touched the little tool to Schrader valve and it shot off with burst of compressed coolant and all refrigerant from high side escaped
- I replaced Schrader valve on high side and bought another can of refrigerant with valve and gauge
-tried to fill on low side but it shows "dangerous" pressure 75 psi as soon as I put the refrigerant can gauge on it, will not accept any coolant
-A/C still not blowing cold
-Hubby advised I use tool to let some pressure out of low side, brought it down to 35 psi, still no change in air temperature, blowing hot
-seems like compressor is not turning on

Any ideas how I should proceed? Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
If all the refrigerant escaped (presumably, if you replaced the high side valve), it's going to take a lot more than one can to get the compressor to come on. You should be able to look up the system capacity on your particular car and try to put in as much as the system holds (probably a few cans). Without the compressor running, you're not going to get normal readings, so I wouldn't worry about "high pressure" on your filling gauge, since it's only reading the "back-up pressure" from filling a non-running system. I'd probably force the compressor on by hot-wiring it, but it might well be possible to slowly fill the system with the compressor off - never tried to do that with an Acura o though.

·
Registered
962 Posts
At 35 PSI system pressure the system will shut itself down as a self-protection. (Like a low engine oil shutoff in some models)

At this point, connect a new can to the system with the engine off, then start the motor after about 2 minutes and turn on the A/C. You should now have enough of a charge for the system to come on. You will probably need to add another can to get up to the proper charge level. At 80 degrees outside, the proper level is about 40 PSI on the gauge with the system running and no can attached to the gauge.

Video here:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts