Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the main reasons why I'm getting the MDX is because I want to buy a boat. I'm looking at 18' to 19' boats in the 2500 - 3500 lb range. Does anyone have any experience with this scenario? If so, how'd to tow? Do you have any steep ramp stories? How's the rear visability for backing? Would I be better off with a v8 rig instead?

BTW - I confirmed with the dealer today that my January allocation vehicle will be in by the end of November!:D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Fine at that weight

I tow a 3,100 lb large pop-up trailer (19' long, 27' long unfolded). It weights about 3,500 lbs when loaded with gear which is the maximum for a non-boat shaped trailer. I have the Acura towing package installed (hitch, and larger transmission & oil coolers).

I have no power problems towing this trailer and I have towed it about 10 times for a total of about 1,200 miles. On three of the trips I went both up and down some serious grades getting to hunting spots up wet dirt roads. I was quite impressed with the MDX since it isn't really designed to be a trailer towing machine.

I did have sway control on the trailer as well as electric brakes with a inertia based brake controller. This definitely helps with the sway at high speed (70 MPH), especially if you hit some bumpy spots at that speed.

I couldn't say I didn't know I was towing anything. The MDX ride is definitely different. Of course acceleration is much slower due to the power/weight ratio changing dramatically. The MDX definitely takes bumps harder with a trailer (about 300 lbs of tongue weight). I noticed that at lower tongue weights the bumps were worse as the tongue bounced more than when I added an additional 100 lbs to the front storage chest on my trailer. However, the towing experience is never bad nor have I ever been uncomfortable in terms of control, passing, power, etc. It's just obvious you have a trailer out back vs. not having one at all.

The only time you really can't tell there is a trailer is at cruising speed on a smooth, level, highway with little wind. Then I can say you don't know it is back there. Hit some bumps, accelerate from a stop, or drive in 30 mph+ winds and you'll know something is back there -- however that is likely true for many towing vehicles.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, Rochester. It sounds encouraging.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hasn't anyone out there towed a boat?:confused:

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I know GaTadpole posted pics a few months ago. Do a for "boat" and it'll show up.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Old Tadpole is here and

I do tow a 21 foot boat with my MDX. The boat has a 5.7 V8 with tandeum trailer. Total weight is right at 4200 lbs. The MDX tows the boat very easily...I ws pleasantly surprised. I also have a Chevy pickup (my son drives it) that I could have used if necessary. Thank goodness it wasn't as my son would not take care of the MDX like I do.
I have had no problems putting the boat in the water or taking it out. Also, the MDX has plenty of power to tow the boat...I am more than pleased with the towing ability. Also, I live in a hilly area.
There are pictures of the MDX with the boat in the Gallery if you would like to view it.

Still loving my MDX...in fact, will tow the boat to the lake this coming Monday.

:D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
679 Posts
Here's a link to what Acura Canada has to say about towing which may be helpful:

http://english.acuracanada.ca/models/mdx_benefits_description.asp#d11

Also, if you go to Acura USA's website, there is a little blib about towing where they talk about how their tow ratings are conservative in the sense that some of their (undisclosed) competitors assume their vehicle isn't carrying any payload in order to come up with high tow numbers, unlike Acura :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Re: Fine at that weight

RochesterMDX said:
I tow a 3,100 lb large pop-up trailer (19' long, 27' long unfolded

Would that trailer happen to be a TrailManor? Just received their bouchure a few days ago, very interesting rig.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I just happened upon this MDX towing test at boatingmag.com:
http://www.boatingmag.com/features/features.html?FeatureID=54 .

I have no idea how old the article may be, but they seem to think it does a good job. They test a lot of other vehicles also, so you can compare to your heart's content. Happy towing!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks

Thanks for pointing this out for me. Funny how they rave about the car more than talking about towing!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Trailer towing

I frequently trailer our horses with my MDX and have had no problems at all. With 2 horses and the weight of the trailer, you have around 4000 lbs. The trailer is a 2 horse Brenderup, which is designed to be towed by a mid-sized car, so it is easily handled by the MDX. You definately know it's back there, but it handles just fine. Towing my boat isn't really significant as it's only a 16' Boston Whaler.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
8 Participants
ghabicht
Acura MDX SUV Forums
Acura MDXers Forum - a community where enthusiasts discuss engines, tires, service and everything you need to know about the MDX!
Full Forum Listing