Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone, I was just wondering what the average gas mileage of everyone's Gen 1 MDXs were. My mileage on my 04' MDX has been especially bad lately and I was wondering if there was anything I could do. Actually just started filling up with 87 Octane because of the price difference.

My stats are around here (Please post total mileage, types of driving, octane level, any potential mods, model year)

04' Acura MDX Base
187,500 Miles
No Mods, Mostly around the town driving 0-50mph
Averaging 14 mpg (on 93 Octane), 13.7mpg on (87 Octane)
Don't really have a particularly hard foot either...

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
You should do a full tune up.. Spark Plugs, Engine Oil (To Synthetic), Transfer Case to Synthetic Oil, Engine Air Filter, Tire Pressure (Run 35-37psi).
Remove as much dead weight as possible.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
When I bought mine it would only get about 17-18mpg on a road trip (with maybe 20% around-town driving). New PCV valve, cleaned EGR, new plugs and O2 upstream sensors, and a valve adjust had me doing about 1mpg better, but still disappointing. Finally I took out the K&N filter and put in a "normal" paper air filter, and I was getting over 20mpg on a road trip (with an average highway speed close to 80mph). Not all that impressive, but about as good as I expect it would ever be.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
City driving is specially hard on the MDX... I barely break 14mpg on the City, If traffic isn´t that packed I can squeeze 16-17mpg.
If there is a gridlock traffic I am not that thrilled with 9-11mpgs.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I average 17 mpg (14 L / 100 km) in overall driving. When skewed towards more city (stop and go) driving, I'll get between 14-15 mpg (16-17 L / 100 km). On all highway road trips, I'd get about 21 mpg (11 L / 100 km).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I average 17 mpg (14 L / 100 km) in overall driving. When skewed towards more city (stop and go) driving, I'll get between 14-15 mpg (16-17 L / 100 km). On all highway road trips, I'd get about 21 mpg (11 L / 100 km).
Same here. Sometimes I dip down into high 15's. Otherwise 17.3-21. This is with mostly stop and go traffic in an area with many hills. I suggest a tune-up to bring that mileage up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
My trip display has been showing me I'm getting an average of 16 to 19. I was running regular, but after all I have read I have found it in my best interest to run premium at all times and seriously keep up maintenance.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've only got about 85K on mine, low for an 05. But I get 20-22 mpg regularly on trips, and have gotten as high as 24. I throw in a fuel stabilizer now and then, and use mostly premium. City or mixed is usually 18-20.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Fully rebuild, about 700 miles on engine and I'm getting around 17.5 mixed driving, no long trips yet

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
153 Posts
My trip display has been showing me I'm getting an average of 16 to 19. I was running regular, but after all I have read I have found it in my best interest to run premium at all times and seriously keep up maintenance.
Did you find a noticeable improvement in fuel economy when you went from regular to premium?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did you find a noticeable improvement in fuel economy when you went from regular to premium?
Yes I have. Now it has been showing 19.7 to 20.4. This using 93 octane Premium fuel mostly from Speedway (Marathon.) This is mainly what I have around me with the exception of a Shell station, a BP station, and a United Dairy Farmers which are farther away than the Speedway stations or the one Marathon station. Have had little trouble fuel wise lately.
2001 MDX
198,000 miles
No mods
Mainly rural/highway driving

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
FWIW, my "trip" is coming on 12,000 miles now, which includes about 6,000 miles of highway driving on a cross-country road trip, and the rest around town. The average has been pegged on 19.9mpg for months now. Seems to be where it's settling in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm consistently averaging 20 mpg on my 2004 MDX. Mostly highway driving (~70%) with regular unleaded. I installed a K&N air filter several years ago and did notice an improvement in mileage. I've also noticed that my mileage decreases in the winter months with the cold temperature.

·
Registered
89 Posts
2006 Touring, non-nav
108k miles

My display has said about 15.7 average for like 3 years now... doesn't seem to change lol

I have always used 93 octane and the occasional fuel additive/injector cleaner.

·
Registered
279 Posts
05 with 150k. I get 17mpg with no highway. My daily commute is only 20 miles but mix of 40-45 mph back roads or city traffic with lots of stop and go and some hilly roads to get to work. Not bad overall.

·
Super Moderator
4,592 Posts
Mine is on par with all post average 16-17 city. Highway 20s.

·
Registered
65 Posts
'01 MDX with 241K miles. Just ran a 2000 mile trip, avg'd 20.2 at 70-75 mph. Ran part of trip at 65-68 as experiment (about 250miles), got indicated 24 on the info panel. Mine seems to run better and get better mpg after a dose of Lucas fuel treatment. I only run 87 octane, tried 93 and saw little or no difference. We drive too many miles to pay the premium prices. Car has plenty of power on 87octane.

If we get into Atlanta traffic, it drops into the 15-16 range. Not an economical rig, but we love it anyway.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts