Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all-

New user here, considering buying an 07+ MDX.

As I browse for used models, I see a pretty big difference in price for the tech package vs the non-tech. To me, the main benefit of the tech package would be the larger screen GPS.

I happen to have an 01 Odyssey that came with (maybe one of the first) factory Honda Navigation units. After about 10 years, it was useless. The maps were out of date, and the discs were expensive and I think they stopped making updates past 2010. So now I have a unit that I never use, but cant remove and upgrade because the AC controls are integrated. It is what it is.

So, as I browse MDX's, I'm wondering if the tech package would be the same. Do current owners with the tech package still feel like you use it enough, or do you have a phone mount and Google Maps like I do in my van? Have you upgraded the maps, if so, was it easy? I see discs on the internet going for $60 - $150.

Thanks in advance for any insights!

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Although my 2nd gen. MDX is 2009, that's still about 10 years old and I still regularly use the OEM larger screen Navigation (WITH the original CD- no way am I paying the Acura STEALERSHIP hundreds of dollars every couple years for a more updated map!)- and it's still working perfectly fine and is 100% useful...I have a backup $700 Garmin GPS that I carry with me on long trips, but in all honestly, never really have to use it due my MDX's factory navigation (with map from 2009!)- furthermore, my cousin who has a 2007 MDX, also regularly uses 12 year old Larger Navigation unit- with the original 2007 Navigation CD- I really think that Acura (at least for MDX's model year 2007-2013) have very good quality Navigation units (and MUCH easier to use!) overall even in comparison other Honda vehicles from what I've seen/experienced first hand.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Kinda my thoughts too. Is there any other bells and whistles with the Tech package that make it worth looking at?

I "borrowed" this from another site:

Technology package adds a navigation system with voice recognition and integrated rearview camera parking assist, upgraded audio, HandsFreeLink (Bluetooth) wireless connectivity and a power tailgate.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
Kinda my thoughts too. Is there any other bells and whistles with the Tech package that make it worth looking at?
If you are looking at the US Tech package, see if it has the entertainment upgrade as well, like mine, it adds heated rear seats (which are standard in Canadian models, but mine is the US even though I live in Canada, go figure!) and power liftgate (pre 2009, because after 2009 they started to include it into Tech package itself) with rear DVD flip out screen and headphones for second row passengers.

With tech package you also get a (faulty) bluetooth and a handy screen, which, even if you don't use navigation, is very useful - CDs/DVDs/XM display, rearview camera output and "secret" menu, where you can get error codes from, if any, look at the battery voltage, test the car electrics and, if yours is from 07 to 09, you can even look up the amount of "engine hours".

They also claim Tech has better audio, not sure if it's true.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I still have a 2006 MDX and Infiniti in the family, and currently drive a 2018 MDX, all with navigation systems. I don't think I've ever updated the maps in the 2006 models to be honest and the systems were still adequate 10+ years later for the once or twice a month I actually "needed" them (can't say there have been a lot of highway/road changes in my area over the past 13 years). In general, I appreciate the other extras that the Tech packages include on most cars.

The power tailgate, backup camera, Bose, etc. are all nice features in the Nav '07+ models. The power tailgate became standard mid-year in '08 for the Tech/Nav models.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
I like the NAV system of the MDX a lot. It is much easier and intuitive than those Garmin or other NAV systems I used. The drawback is that the update discs are too expensive and the screen resolution is poor. The software system is actually very good.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I "borrowed" this from another site:

Technology package adds a navigation system with voice recognition and integrated rearview camera parking assist, upgraded audio, HandsFreeLink (Bluetooth) wireless connectivity and a power tailgate.
This is correct, my '11 X is the Tech w/Entertainment package and I love it! I just updated my maps with the 2018 disc. The voice recognition does make it easier to use. I would say if you do quite a bit of driving then you may find the integrated NAVI to be convenient otherwise, probably really does make much of a difference. The Entertainment package is really what gets used daily by my kids.

One other thing I would note is the '10-13 model years have a issue with the bluetooth HFL unit, so watch out of that. Due to where it is placed near the heat vents, over time the circuit board on the unit has connectivity issues.

·
Registered
338 Posts
My '09 has the original NAVI Disk and there have been many times I've been tempted to purchase a black market upgrade. ($60 on local KIJIJI)

I travel to quite a few remote locations that have since built up and many times I'm pulling out my cell phone because the area/address I'm heading to is just not in the system.

I should take a picture next time I head to my daughters house, It shows me driving through a small river for 20 kilometers.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have a 2011 and had bought an update in 2015 as some areas had some new roads which were not there in the OEM one, Not sure how much difference it made as I am on the update now and I drove into Canada and staying in an area which was build only a few years ago, so i doubt the original DVD would have had some of the maps that I see now.

Overall buy if you know there has been some major construction or route changes that have happened in area you might visit. I dont know how quickly a new road shows up on maps, is it same year or 1 year or more. You can check the Here maps site to know what cities they have updated but thats about it.

As for in car vs external navigation, I prefer in car one. No dangling wires or suction cups, or charging cables or distraction of looking at phone. No issues of network connectivity either. Only downside is missing traffic info(that too can be get for a fee) and old maps.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2007 and have upgraded to the latest disk. In my home town of Seattle, the downtown area roads, and some surrounding cities, have changed substantially over the last few years, sometimes daily with all the new construction. So, I bought the updated disk and get traffic updates on it via XM integration. For most people, I don’t think it would be worth it, especially where there is not much new road construction or development.
I still use my cell phone at times to get the latest available routes and agree that Waze is a great app. So, why do I keep using the 12 year old built-in nav? For me, it’s conveniently already there, it actually has a decent user interface, and the voice directions are okay. I also like the knob for entering in addresses and how the navigation screen splits and “zooms in” automatically as you approach critical waypoints.
It is still a 12 year old system though. The screen resolution is dated/pixelated, it can be a little slow, it doesn’t show as many street names as I’d like (in most screens due to resolution), the zoom in/out function is very slow, and newer systems obviously have better voice directions and visual guidance, along with better touch screen technology. But in 2007, it was one of the best systems available and is still mostly adequate for my needs today.
FYI - The disks from Acura usually drop in price (I think it’s 6 months or maybe a year?) after they are initially released. But, the information on them, when released will be outdated for recent construction anyways, so the disks are never really completely up-to-date.
I really like the Apple and Android integration of newer systems. It helps make those systems viable for a longer time. Unfortunately, the trend moved to most cars integrating diagnostics and climate control into their screens, so changing to aftermarket solutions, including the MDX, is very difficult. I did this in a 2005 Subaru that I still really like (integrating a Nexus 7 and a separate double DIN unit) It was expensive and required a lot of DIY customization/modifications. Luckily, that platform had a lot of community support for modifications. Not many are customizing MDX’s to this extent, but if you were so inclined, and adding a custom aftermarket solution was high on your list, then a non-nav model would be the ticket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I like having the option of XM radio and Navi living in the southwest. I only have 4G cell service within certain distances of larger cities and sometime 2-4 hours of very poor cell coverage (or none at at all) when traveling between. I like my news and talk radio on the road because it keeps my mind engaged and alert. I tend to get too relaxed and comfy with just music and start to nod off. There has been several times I was off the beaten path in the mountains with zero cell coverage; but, XM/Navi was working perfectly (love bread crumb feature on Navi when going off road and getting me back).

I still like my iPhone as back-up and the Acura Navi has let me down about 5% of the time when I couldn't find/input an address. My eyes and hearing don't seem to be up to par like in my younger days. I like the mute feature and larger screen of the in-car navi compared to smartphone sizes.

It was a one time $2000 upgrade to get navi in my 06 TSX and upgrade disks could be found for $50 on eBay (only option for the 06 TSX). Getting Navi for my 08 RDX and 11 MDX came with other tech upgrades that made it a much better value compared to the base models. The 10-13 Tech has a lot of upgrades other than Navi that make it a better value compared to just a base version.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
and your most likely paying for cellular data when you use it?
Yes, it does, but a very small amount. My statistics is Waze used 3.7GB data since summer 2013, which comes to about 700 MegaBytes per year or 60 MegaBytes monthly. My monthly data is 3 GB for my device, so Waze uses about 2% of my monthly data on my smartphone, which is just a tiny fraction.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I purchased a 08 with tech and entertainment package. I use it a few times a year to free up my phone. it really depends on where you live. if your city has a lot a new construction, the maps are really outdated and the interface is really slow to enter. I would rather dictate to Siri to find directions to an address.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts