Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning, my MDX was at the local Acura dealer for a software update, per Technical Service Bulletin B18-011. As part of the software update, some of my settings were reset to default, so I had to re-configure them. While going through the menus, I discovered that you can view the subscription status for AcuraLink and the related services -- including traffic.

There has been some debate, on the intrawebs, on how long complimentary traffic is provided. It was my understanding that my vehicle came with 3 years. The status screen confirms that is correct -- at least for my vehicle.

If you want to confirm how long traffic is provided on YOUR MDX, then here is how:

Settings > Info Settings > AcuraLink Subscription Status

The expiration date of your traffic subscription will be displayed under "AcuraLink Traffic".

I hope someone finds this information helpful. There has been at least one person claiming that they were told "lifetime" traffic was included. I'd be curious to hear what their MDX reports on the status screen.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I just check mine also - it ended in July 2016 - my MDX is a 2014 that I purchased in July, 2013. It looks like the 3 year rule applied to it.

I could never see the ridiculously thin and faint traffic lines anyway so there's no loss there. This is something they improved for 2015 (more noticeable traffic lines) via a software update but refused to apply to the 2014 out of not caring that much about their customers in this respect (rant).

·
Registered
869 Posts
I might be hallucinating, but I think the traffic lines are more thick and bold after I applied the software update that came along with the 2018 map update for our 2014 MDX Tech. Tweaking the contrast and black level of the display also helps. A lot.

But it's costing us $208 per year to enjoy those allegedly bolder lines. And keep in mind it had been more than a year since they disappeared because the 3-year "complimentary" period lapsed, and I never saw them all that much cuz it's my wife's daily driver and we usually road trip in a different vehicle. So don't sue me if I'm wrong!

Sadly, the software update did nothing for the pathetic data input user interface. I'd call it 1980's Nintendo, but Nintendo might sue for defamation!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts