Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there

I'm going to look at a used 2014 MDX in a couple days, at a Nissan dealership. They tell me it has a trans oil cooler installed, but they're not sure which one it is. My question for you guys is this: did the MDX come with a trans oil cooler, and the kit to increase towing capacity is just a bigger one? Or did it come with no cooler, so if it has one I'm safe for the 5000lbs?

Also - is there anything else I should be looking at in general? It's got 44,000 miles and is a base SHAWD model.

Thanks,
Tyler

·
Registered
9 Posts
There is a ad-on accessory cooler, one has to get installed - OEM part if you want to tow full capacity - it will be highly visible on the front as it is installed in front of the radiator, the one I have seen was on 2016 but I doubt its any different on 2014. Personally I'd think twice if car has a hitch but not ATF installed - tranny may have been punished unless they only used it for carrying bikes or bump guard. Google ATF for 2016 MDX installation and you will see the pics of what it looks like

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
It is highly unlikely that it has the OEM Hitch without the ATF Cooler as it comes as a combo.
It can however had an Aftermarket Hitch installed but it will be pretty obvious if it isn´t OEM as OEM has both popular trailer plugs installed neatly into the Hitch.

·
Registered
73 Posts
It can come without the cooler. There were two tow option for the 14/15 MDX .
1. 3500 lb tow capacity was just the tow hitch setup with out the oil cooler .
2. 5000 lb tow capacity was with the tow package .

Even thou I don't have any plans to 5000 lb I added that option specifically for the oil cooler. I wanted
the added protection for the transmission.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
He has the 5000lbs which is the SH-AWD version which do come with the ATF Cooler with the Hitch..
So it CANNOT come without the ATF Cooler in the AWD version of the Hitch Package.

Towing 5000lbs with FWD is insane though..

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I purchased my 11 MDX OEM hitch and harness from eBay. I downloaded the install pdf to make sure the kit was complete with all parts. Some on-line site had the same name and part number; but, was missing the harness part. The below links can help you with a visual inspection to make sure the 14 MDX has the factory installed hitch with or without ATF cooler.

The first link is to all the Acura accessories for the 2014 MDX. You can double-check to see if there are any other extra accessories installed. I've seen prices from $700-$1000 to purchase and install a factory hitch/harness/ATF cooler new at the dealership. Already having the OEM hitch+ATF cooler installed (and any other accessories) can be an extra value not reflected in the price of the MDX.

If your hitch turns out to be aftermarket, it might not take a full size spare if you wanted to upgrade the donut. I would plan to change ASAP the ATF, transfer case, and rear diff if you plan to purchase a used MDX with a hitch.

2014 MDX Accessories: https://estore.honda.com/acura/accessories/installation-instructions/list.asp?year=2014&model=MDX&modelName=MDX

2014 MDX ATF cooler: ATF Cooler

2014 MDX Hitch install: Hitch

2014 MDX Hitch owner's manual: Owner's Manual

·
Registered
9 Posts
On Gen 3 I have seen OEM hitch and AFT are separately sold, although ATF is suggested by most sites, some would buy only hitch to utilize for light trailers, or on-hitch attachments (bike, luggage, etc.)

·
Registered
229 Posts
The ATF cooler like already mentioned some guys does not come with the OEM hitch both parts are sold by separate and ATF cooler for 14-15 MDX is different from the one for the 16 MDX.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
He has the 5000lbs which is the SH-AWD version which do come with the ATF Cooler with the Hitch..
So it CANNOT come without the ATF Cooler in the AWD version of the Hitch Package.

Towing 5000lbs with FWD is insane though..
The OP doesn't know if the trans cooler the dealer saw is the OEM one or not, nor if it's a 5000lb variant of the tow package, nor are we sure that it's a SH-AWD. Even if it is a SH-AWD, they will sell you JUST the hitch without the tranny cooler if you wanted, so the previous owner could have just added their own aftermarket cooler (which, should work the same if it's the same capacity). There is also the danger of the Nissan dealer not knowing what they're talking about and just citing that it has a transmission cooler, which is true in stock form (the one that normally cools the tranny integrated into the radiator) and only good for 3500lbs.

So OP, I recommend you take a look at this thread: http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/55954-transmission-cooler.html

The gist is, make sure they're not talking about a stock tranny oil cooler that every automatic car has. And then make sure an additional one is actually installed and if so, if it's the OEM one or not. The MDX does NOT come with an additional tranny oil cooler installed; it is an option only.

There are pictures and links of the cooler and I recommend you take a look yourself to verify. Also look for the sticker on the back bumper that says the tow limit. Maybe they did the install correctly and put the 5000lb limit sticker on?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi there

I'm going to look at a used 2014 MDX in a couple days, at a Nissan dealership. They tell me it has a trans oil cooler installed, but they're not sure which one it is. My question for you guys is this: did the MDX come with a trans oil cooler, and the kit to increase towing capacity is just a bigger one? Or did it come with no cooler, so if it has one I'm safe for the 5000lbs?

Also - is there anything else I should be looking at in general? It's got 44,000 miles and is a base SHAWD model.

Thanks,

Tyler

I have a 2015 SHAWD and I installed the OEM hitch and transmission cooler. The previous post shoes the OEM hitch. This hitch supports 3500lbs of towing... but is upgraded to 5000lbs by adding the transmission cooler.

It will be easy to spot the OEM hitch as shown in the pic above. Notice the 'sticker' to the right of the hitch. The sticker that comes with the hitch has a rating of 3500 lbs... and is placed on the replacement skirt that you change out in order to install the hitch.

When you purchase the transmission cooler separately, it comes with a 5000lb towing capacity that you place on top of the other sticker.

I use the Bernardi Acura website for the accessories... that has a link to the OEM installation instructions. Once you review the instructions you will know exactly what to look for on the new car. Good luck, we love our MDX!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts