Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to see a used 2014 MDX Advance. Is there a way to tell if the shocks are original or if they have been replaced. Also, if they have been repalced, how to tell if they are properly replaced with the same or if they were downgraded to regular?

I'm very excited. I think barring any issues, I might finally get a new (used) mdx and upgrade my own 2001 MDX base with 170k miles.

Any other suggestions for buying this specific model used? any advice on negotiations, questions to ask, or what to check for, would be great!!!

Thanks all

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I'm going to see a used 2014 MDX Advance. Is there a way to tell if the shocks are original or if they have been replaced. Also, if they have been repalced, how to tell if they are properly replaced with the same or if they were downgraded to regular?

I'm very excited. I think barring any issues, I might finally get a new (used) mdx and upgrade my own 2001 MDX base with 170k miles.

Any other suggestions for buying this specific model used? any advice on negotiations, questions to ask, or what to check for, would be great!!!

Thanks all
There is only one suspension set for all models of the 2014+ MDXes until the 2017 Sport-Hybrid comes out. There is certainly no magnetic ADS shocks for the 3rd generation. There is not really a way to tell if they have been changed unless you have records to access. IF you find you have clunking/rattling noises coming from them, I suggest you bring up TSB 16-035 to your dealer.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh sweet, that's a big relief. I guess all the complaints about the failures led them to rightfully discontinue the overpriced unreliable shocks. Thanks all.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey guys, when i took mytest drive, the sales guy was trying to explain the difference between comfort, normal, and sport modes. He mentioned magnetic dampers, and "i said oh thats on the 14? I thought they discontinued the magnetic ads shocks after 13 due to the unreliability" he said no, they have it on the 14s as well.

Is he mistaken or did i misunderstand?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Sales folks... they sell you stuff they have no knowledge about all the time.

He's wrong. It's gone after 13. A quick google search will give you links like this: 2014 Acura MDX SH-AWD review notes | Autoweek (search for magnetic).

IDS does NOT adjust suspension AT ALL. Here's what it DOES do: http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/76449-integrated-dynamics-system-what-really.html#post772529

An important thing to remember is that Service Advisors are also just sales folks.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Other than power assist, which I hate, I don't feel any difference between Comfort and Normal at all. The Sport mode does feel significantly different and sound different. I also got the sales person saying there was suspension changes but I cannot feel any difference. I would give them a pass for My2014 but it's been three years, they shouldn't be telling people the modes change suspension. There's more difference if you just raise or drop your tire pressure out of spec (whether on purpose or due to chnage air temperature) thna any mode changes will do.

I kind of feel like there should be a fourth Super Sport mode wth even less power assist.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sales folks... they sell you stuff they have no knowledge about all the time.

He's wrong. It's gone after 13. A quick google search will give you links like this: 2014 Acura MDX SH-AWD review notes | Autoweek (search for magnetic).

IDS does NOT adjust suspension AT ALL. Here's what it DOES do: http://www.mdxers.org/forums/94-third-generation-mdx-2014-present/76449-integrated-dynamics-system-what-really.html#post772529

An important thing to remember is that Service Advisors are also just sales folks.
That's what I figured. Thanks Neoshi! You're the man! As a side note, the sales guy admitted that he sold mortgages 3 years ago before doing this, so he wasn't really in the business all that long.

I personally feel much better now because of everything I've read about the magnetic dampers, power assist doesnt seem to phase me much at all, I keep it on comfort just because its called comfort and my last 2001 MDX road like a horse carraige, every pebble felt like a cobble stone for some reason.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
I keep it on comfort just because its called comfort
I keep mine on 'Sport' 100% of the time because there's never a time I don't want quicker reaction from the various components of acceleration, steering, shifting, etc. As neoshi stated, the suspension doesn't change at all with the setting since the shocks are normal shocks with no electronic adjustment.

Some others do change the mode around from Sport to Comfort and Normal depending on what they're doing but you may want to try each for some extended period under different driving conditions and decide which is best for you. Personally, when I decide to accelerate, steer, etc. I want the vehicle to react quickly - IMO it's actually safer.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
^absolutely agree with what mdxstang said. Suspension comfort is static on the 3G mdx anyway.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts