Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my MDX seats don't heat. Switches light, but no heat butt or back in driver, none in passenger, either. Research in this and another forum led me to believe it was a broken wire within the seat.

I had read you can remove the seat, take off the leather, find the broken wire, solder in a new one, recover in leather, reinstall, an viola, heated seats.. So here goes...
I chose to remove the seat from its bracket, easier that removing it from floor with bracket attached

Be sure and disconnect all the wires that connect motors and air bag to vehicle. I think the are three, however some of them are also run and attached to the bracket I didn't remove so look it over well.

Once the seat is out, turn it upside down and remove the wires that are attached to the bottom of the seat bottom.

Remove the plastic side covers three screws in each...

The are four bolts holding the bottom to the seat frame

Watching again to be sure the wire that goes to the seat heater is free, remove the seat bottom.

I used a vom and saw that one combo had .5 ohms, the other had infinite resistance.
Now the fun part, removing the leather. It is held on with a combo of plastic clips and hog rings. First remove the six hog rings from the bottom

I straightened the end of the two rods that the other hog rings clamp to
The red circle is the straightened end the green circles are where hog rings hold the rod

I then pulled the long rod out, the is one on each bolster of the seat bottom

Each pleat across the seat bottom is another area of hog rings. I simply spread them enough to get the rod out... Like this...

It will be very clear once you get into it... And then the prize...

This is the area where a mans wallet would press on the seat, u can see it's burnt and broken

It is simply a connection between the two resistive wires they make up the two heated seat pads. I stripped the available end, soldered in a piece of wire, shrink wrapped it, and reversed the disassembly...

I proceeded the same general way on the seat back, the lumbar lever has a spring clip that holds it on, but other then that, same basic principal... Here is what I found in seat back...

Everything reassembled, reinstalled, fuse checked. And viola, I have a heated seat...

Fear not the DIY.
My cost for repaired seats, $0 because I had shrink tube and wire.

Now go fix em.
Bratcop

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Underwater, that's hilarious. U obviously don't live in Wisconsin.... Lol snow in winter melts from shoes and contains salt from the roads. Carpet gets wet and voila, rust. Any car here that is 13 years old will look that way....

·
Registered
278 Posts
Fantastic guide. Did you smell any burnt odor after it stopped working?

As all first gen are over a decade, I'm sure this will help others.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They didn't work when I got them, not sure if they have odor, but the one on the seat back looked like it should have, melted plastic and charred leather...

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Great work! Heated seats must be very nice in cold climes. Not so much in the South. I would live w/o before attempting this repair. Looks like snow/salt is the culprit. My 03 MDX seat heaters are still working in TX.

good luck

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think the common thought is they burn out as people in cold climates leave them on high for extended periods and that wire is stressed as foam seat compacts...

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had mine replaced under the manufacturer's warranty, it burned out a few years ago. The dealer log shows they replaced the whole bottom seat cushion, but this is definitely easier to do now that it'll cost

·
Registered
271 Posts
When my heated seats did work, I had them on high every time I drove, even here in Florida! With two back surgeries, my back is always in pain, even with meds. The heated seats helped with the pain. Oh how I miss the heated seats. They went out about 6-7 years ago. I can do this fix but my back only allows me to work about 1-2 hours at a time before I'm done for the day. It's good to see this fix worked. It's exactly what I imagined the issue was and how I thought the fix would go.

·
Registered
278 Posts
When my heated seats did work, I had them on high every time I drove, even here in Florida! With two back surgeries, my back is always in pain, even with meds. The heated seats helped with the pain. Oh how I miss the heated seats. They went out about 6-7 years ago. I can do this fix but my back only allows me to work about 1-2 hours at a time before I'm done for the day. It's good to see this fix worked. It's exactly what I imagined the issue was and how I thought the fix would go.
Sorry to hear that. I have family with back issues so know the challenge. I'd give you a hand fixing the issue but I'm up in Seattle :(

1 - 10 of 10 Posts