Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just had our local car stereo shop install Navtool to my new 2017 MDX. Due to their lack of experience and knowledge of Navtool, I had to bring in my car a few times...not perfect yet.
I just need to change the setting on the navtool device by connecting it to a laptop...while I doubt they would do it perfectly.
Thus I was wondering if anybody would help me remove the front dash and have access to the behind the nav/radio. Hopefully detailed instructions with images or video since I am not a handy man.

Thank you so much for helping

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much.
As I am a handy man, should I use one of the plastic panel removal tools to remove the dashboard?
Without these tools, I do not see any part I could remove without breaking it...or is there any easy way to remove it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you so much. Wow now I realized that I would have to guess where my installer put my navtool. I am hoping where these pictures are showing. I should have shown these pictures to my installer so that they would not have charged me every time.

I just ordered the plastic tools. Let's see if I could handle it. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Thank you so much. Wow now I realized that I would have to guess where my installer put my navtool. I am hoping where these pictures are showing. I should have shown these pictures to my installer so that they would not have charged me every time.

I have to check my home computer, but I may also have an install PDF from Naviks as well with an actual 2016 MDX. Navtool though, just keeps pointing us to the thread I linked rather than having an actual install manual...

When you're done, I'm hoping you will keep us updated on the operation and reliability of the device. Navtool left a bad taste with a few of us here and over at Azine with their bad handling of the group buy/pre-order, so not many of us trust their support for their product.

EDIT: OK found the file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ezx9hajh6r2yvhj/ACURA MDX 2014 – 2016.pdf?dl=0
They use metal pry tools, which I really don't recommend.

·
Registered
962 Posts

It may seem obvious to most, but be sure that the vehicle interior is fully warm. 70-80 degrees is good. Cold plastic likes to break.:surprise:

Someone told me this:wink:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you so much for the Naviks installation pictures, which was exactly I wanted to see.
For Navtool reliability, I have never had any issue when I had it installed to my previous car (Honda Pilot 2013 Touring)...thus I had no doubt, but due to the additions of HDMI input and phone mirroring functions, the well knowledgeable and skillful technician must install the device otherwise, they would not know what they are doing especially Navtool provides little instruction unlike Naviks. After third attempt, now I could display any video source from phone mirroring, dvds, and RCA input from the rear on the front screen. I just need to adjust the Navtool setting so that the usage of turn signal switches the video screen to default screen as if it turns on right/left lane watch camera. This setting was supposed to be done before the installation according to the manual (obviously my installer did not read it). Honestly I would not be able to trust the installers and appreciate Navtool customer services that do not provide detailed instruction for them. After I saw your pictures, I feel like I should have gone with Naviks...but it is working all right (once I figure out the setting, everything should be working perfectly). I will keep you posted after I use it for a while.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It may seem obvious to most, but be sure that the vehicle interior is fully warm. 70-80 degrees is good. Cold plastic likes to break.:surprise:

Someone told me this:wink:
I could not wait after I saw these detailed installation pictures, but it has been very cold here in Ohio. I will see...

Thank you for the great suggestion.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I appreciate all of the info. This looks to be worth doing, if a bit expensive and a bit of labor. There seems to be a lack of online instructions so if anyone can help I'd appreciate it. My goal would be to connect my phone via Miracast over WiFi to the display.

The $300 Naviks box (no HDMI): How is this programmed? Is it done through an on-screen-display (OSD)? Or perhaps just DIP switches? I would not buy their WiFi adapter at the $165 asking price; on fleaBay a similar HDMI/CVBS capability can be had for $38 (MiraScreen C1). The $400 box adds HDMI input, which is ridiculous: an HDMI to CVBS adapter can be had for about $10. Use that with the $300 box and buy a common Miracast HDMI adapter (less than $30) and have the package done.

The $300 NavTool has four camera inputs instead of two, plus an HDMI input, but no CVBS (composite video) inputs. Did I understand correctly that the box needs to be programmed through its USB interface? That would be a nuisance. It might make sense to leave a USB cable attached permanently, which could stay coiled under the dash until needed. They are selling a Miracast package ($120) that uses an old Netgear box; again, worth using a $30 dongle instead.

I found another option: Acura/Honda GVIF Video Interface - TVandNav2Go . It costs $330. It looks similar to the Naviks. It has support for OSD programming with extensive options. It has two camera inputs, 2 CVBS inputs, and an RGB input. I would probably buy the MiraScreen C1 to connect to a CVBS input. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I'd appreciate any information, links for instructions, opinions, etc.

Greg

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
HI Greg,

I may not be able to provide you with any help in installation, however, I could share what the Navtool intallation to my 2017 MDX allows me to do with you.

I can watch DVD movies both through OEM rear display and rthe front Nav screen if you have rear entertainment system.
I can watch videos from RCA output devices on the front Nav screen and rear display through RCA inputs on the back of the console. (This function requires some special wiring is required)
I can mirror cell phones on the front Nav screen through wifi-dongle connected to HDMI input on Navtool / micro-MHL to HDMI cable wired connection)...but NOT on the rear display. Also you must use the aux audio input to hear the sound.

If you are planning to use Navtool, make sure to set up the Navtool interface for your car. For my case, every time I turn on the turn signal, it switch backs to navigation and you will have to manually bring it back to whatever you are watching (movies, mirroring...etc)

I am sorry that this may not help you at all...but hopefully at least gives you some ideas.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Thanks for the info. I have a Base MDX, so no worries about the rear entertainment.

Is the setup of the NavTool done by USB, as I guessed? Does it otherwise require physical access to the box, or can it be programmed with only USB access? It seems inevitable that the box will be mounted in a hard to reach location, so if a USB cable can be used it makes sense to run one when installing.

I have noticed that some of these boxes are designed to activate the left or right camera when the turn signal comes on. I suspect that feature is at the root of your problem. It should be defeatable. I don't think it has anything to do with the car model - it is a programmable feature. I am guessing that it senses the lack of a side camera and just passes the nav through instead.

Greg

·
Registered
141 Posts
I appreciate all of the info. This looks to be worth doing, if a bit expensive and a bit of labor. There seems to be a lack of online instructions so if anyone can help I'd appreciate it. My goal would be to connect my phone via Miracast over WiFi to the display.

The $300 Naviks box (no HDMI): How is this programmed? Is it done through an on-screen-display (OSD)? Or perhaps just DIP switches? I would not buy their WiFi adapter at the $165 asking price; on fleaBay a similar HDMI/CVBS capability can be had for $38 (MiraScreen C1). The $400 box adds HDMI input, which is ridiculous: an HDMI to CVBS adapter can be had for about $10. Use that with the $300 box and buy a common Miracast HDMI adapter (less than $30) and have the package done.

The $300 NavTool has four camera inputs instead of two, plus an HDMI input, but no CVBS (composite video) inputs. Did I understand correctly that the box needs to be programmed through its USB interface? That would be a nuisance. It might make sense to leave a USB cable attached permanently, which could stay coiled under the dash until needed. They are selling a Miracast package ($120) that uses an old Netgear box; again, worth using a $30 dongle instead.

I found another option: Acura/Honda GVIF Video Interface - TVandNav2Go . It costs $330. It looks similar to the Naviks. It has support for OSD programming with extensive options. It has two camera inputs, 2 CVBS inputs, and an RGB input. I would probably buy the MiraScreen C1 to connect to a CVBS input. Does anyone have any experience with this?

I'd appreciate any information, links for instructions, opinions, etc.

Greg
Because NavTool was released later than some other products for MDX, I wanted to get something ASAP, so I got the first interface, failed on the day 3, returned it. Ordered tvandnav2go received the same interface as the first one returned, ordered naviks and again received same as previous two. So i simply ended up waiting for navtool , it's very different and way better

·
Registered
2015 MDX Tech SHAWD
58 Posts
I'm interested in installing this in my 2015 MDX tech. Do I have to remove the center console to make the aux cable connection to the navtool box?

Thanks

Greg

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I'm interested in installing this in my 2015 MDX tech. Do I have to remove the center console to make the aux cable connection to the navtool box?

Thanks

Greg
Yes. You need to get to the cables on the back side.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 MDX Tech SHAWD
58 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something. The steps in the Naviks install only show you how to access behind the radio. I was under the impression I need to access the aux auxiliary connection from behind the center console. Is that not needed and I can tap it from behind the radio instead?

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Sorry I probably misunderstood you. Re-reading it sounds like you're asking if you need to run the aux from the phone to behind the console. If so, then no. The Aux port is just the one in the center cubby. Alt is you just use BT for sounds.

The Navtool (or similar device) will reside behind the center console because they tap into the vehicle's existing harnesses to the rear of the infotainment. But these devices are just screen mirrors and don't handle sound, so there's no connection for sounds through the Navtool/Naviks/etc.

Is that what you were asking?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts