Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will be getting my SS MDX in a few weeks and wondered how others have protected their leather seats from kids car seats/boosters.

How do I avoid the permanent indentations that some of these seats can leave behind? :(

Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
Great product..

There is a great product available for just this purpose. It is called the Car Seat Saver and is available at Toys R Us. It is a big rubber mat that goes behind the back and under the bottom of the car seat. It also comes in different colors to match your interior. Also, less than $15. Hope this helps!:)

If your car seat has a tether strap, put a scrap piece of cloth (folded a couple of times) under the strap to make sure this does not leave markings on the back of the seat.

Good luck!

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do the towels now on my old car, but I was looking for a more"high tech" solution for the 'X.

The towels do help, but they don't stop the indentations completely.
Any other ideas?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks 'X Mom. I'll go take a look at that mat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
We did the rubberized mats, too in our former SUV. I thought after a good couple years of car seats that thin, little rubber mat wouldn't have spared the seats.. but after a day of being car seat free.. the leather looked just fine. Plus, the rubber mats really help with the seat slipping in any direction.:)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Time to check out...

It will be time for me to check out that "CAR SEAT SAVER" as well. Our first baby is coming out in 2 months. :D

And I will use "X" to transport him!!! :cool: :D :p

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Photos?

X Mom,

Do you have the photo of "Car Seat Saver"?
I can't find it on Toys R Us's website. :eek:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Nope....

Sorry, but I don't have a picture of it. I did not get it online - my local store carries it. You might also try looking online for the product name "Car Seat Saver" on My Simon. Also, try Babies R Us (or whatever it is called now - when I was pregnant, it was Baby Superstore).

If you find a pic (and like it) but can't find the product, the Toys R Us store in my area is in Danville, Virginia. That might help - let me know if you need any further assistance.:)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Here a two great recommendations and guaranteed to save the leather trim second row seats:

Go to www.rightstart.com and search for

1. Car Seat Grabber - Blue Ridge Inernational MSRP $15.95
http://www.rightstart.com/global/store/product_detail.cfm?TID=05166844100899230229056811&Site=Baby&rs_section=Travel&category=Travel Accessories&GroupID=1521778&GroupTP=Model

2. SeatSaver - Prince LionHeart - $21.95
http://www.rightstart.com/global/store/product_detail.cfm?TID=05166844100899230229056811&Site=Baby&rs_section=Travel&category=Travel Accessories&GroupID=2310&GroupTP=Model

I use them both .. . I wan to to see which one will actually last the longest

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
great info.

Thanks!! :cool:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Re: Time to check out...

JTM said:
It will be time for me to check out that "CAR SEAT SAVER" as well. Our first baby is coming out in 2 months. :D

And I will use "X" to transport him!!! :cool: :D :p

JTM, just curious . . .once you get the habit of using the X for the baby, tell me if it is difficult getting in and out. My wife says she has a bit of a time getting our 1 yr old in and out of his seat. We use the middle seat for his carseat mainly so my wife can get in and out on either side easier when I drive......

·
Registered
79 Posts
I used a high-back seat cushion from my old Honda Accord in order to protect my seats. It just happened to be beige, therefore making it a perfect color match and it protects the full area impacted by the car seat.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I picked up one of the black Prince Lionheart SeatSavers last night. It was around 20 buck at Toys R Us. It looks a lot better than the towel I was using before, and gives more reliable protection against little feet on the front of the seat, too.

It's available in several colors.

I think it will do a better job of protecting the seat for two reasons:
1. It's rubber, so things won't soak through (important during potty training :eek: ).
2. The rubber is better at spreading/distributing pressure than a towel.

It looks pretty good doing it, too.

We'll be testing it on a ride up to Cambria (northern part of Southern California coast) this weekend. When we get back, I'll probably get one for the wife's car, too.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Re: Re: Time to check out...

PolyTat said:

JTM, just curious . . .once you get the habit of using the X for the baby, tell me if it is difficult getting in and out. My wife says she has a bit of a time getting our 1 yr old in and out of his seat. We use the middle seat for his carseat mainly so my wife can get in and out on either side easier when I drive......
poly,

surely, I will keep you post. just wait for 3 months. :p

I will keep the baby in the house at least the first month before take him around. :1:

·
Registered
266 Posts
jonnygoodboy said:

I think it will do a better job of protecting the seat for two reasons:
1. It's rubber, so things won't soak through (important during potty training :eek: ).
2. The rubber is better at spreading/distributing pressure than a towel.

Jonny - -

You are right about your observations but, I would try it out for a while before spending the $$ for another. Reason I say is I have the Seat Saver in the MDX and through time "stuff" will dribble down from the carseat to the seat saver and eventually to the leather-trim surface (especially in the small compartment area where the middle seat rest inserts.
It is not a tremendous deal as long as you check it frequently for baked on cheerios (especially in the cracks), dried milk, and just plain ol crazy stains . . .that you can't really get away from when you have a young one traveling with you all the time. It is bound to happen but at least with the Seat Saver you minimize a lot of the hassle if using something else.
At least there isn't any moisture buildup or odors that when using a towel will often emit.
I have the Car Seat grabber in our other car and it works just as great

·
Registered
699 Posts
After a 3-day road trip with the seatsaver, I can say it works great. It caught all kinds of goodies (yum!). Polytat's advice on frequent cleaning does sound like a good idea, cuz since the seatsaver doesn't absorb spills, the spills can still slide off. The only clean spaces in the car were the driver's seat and the area under the seatsaver. I'm thinking maybe the adult passengers (who could that be?) might benefit from sitting on one:2:

·
Registered
266 Posts
Imagine that

Great, although it is not the greatest, it does do its job well. Perhaps one with thicker ends and deep grooves with a catch all at the bottom would work better. At least you know where all the liquid is going.
Along with a light sticky-like material on the backside to more effectively stay secure on the leather, leather-like seats.

hummm...shall I patent this idea?

I can't imagine adults using this . .actually, I can - reminiscent to those roller bead seat backs:eek:

·
Registered
312 Posts
A thick towel and plastic sheet (cut from a garbage bag). No worries! (and cheap).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts