Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

This is my first time on your board. I am here because I have a few questions to ask MDX owners:

Because of the nature of my Honda sponsored project at Art Center, we are designing the 2015 MDX. If it is not too much trouble, could you guys give me some input on "how you would improve on your MDX if you had a choice?" we are talking styling, seating position, interior design, interior layout, wheel,... anything goes...

Thank you very much in advance.

·
Registered
595 Posts
!

Are you HIM!?!? lol

ok..

first of all.. the seats should be very confy.. hopefuly all can be adjest.. not just the angle of the back of the chair etc..

If you are who I think you are.. we'll talk some in class heh

how about very confy seatting for 7 not good seats for 5 and 2 not so confy?
:2:

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
This should get interesting. Let me think about this for awhile. :27:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Make sure HIDs are standard!!! :D

But wow, 2015 is a little far away... I'm dying to see what the X will look like in 2005! :cool:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Five things that I would like:

1. Better placement of the deadpedal for the left foot. I find that my left leg gets cramped on long trips.

2. Have the glass in the rear hatch open separately from the rear hatch. The rear wiper would have to be repositioned, but its been done on other vehicles.

3. More leg room for folks using the third row of seats. Maybe the vehicle has to grow a couple inches in length.

4. Get rid of the shiny wood finish around the gearshift area. I frequently get sun glare reflecting off that into my eyes.

5. More comfortable front seats.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
As far as styling and dimensions go....

........I WOULD NOT INCREASE the size of the MDX at any cost.!!!!!! The vehicle is at it's size limit for manuverability, agility, sportiness and off-roadability! (and it is, after all, a MIDSIZE :rolleyes: SUV) ......if at all Acura MUST appease the bigger-is-better "Soccer-Mom-Need-A-Bus" crowd, introduce a SEPARATE model to cater to that audience! (maybe something like a Toyota Sequoia or even bigger if they so want) ......However it is imperative to keep the MDX at it's current size!!

OTHER TIDBITS:

Keep the Navigation System on the CUTTING EDGE OF TECHNOLOGY, as Acura has always done and you will have a winner!!

Maintain the Honda philosophy of cutting-edge levels of performance and refinement combined with good fuel economy.

Ensure decent levels of off-road abilitiy. To address the seemingly conflicting balance between off-road prowess and on-road performance an AIR SUSPENSION SYSTEM that can be raised and lowered, as offered on the new Lexus RX330 would definitely be the way to go (at least as an option on the top-of-the-line model) ........A ton of NEW "Crossover" SUVs offer this now! (VW Touareg, Lexus RX330, Porsche Cayenne, Volvo XC90 etc.)

......And that's pretty much my 0.02!! :)

·
Registered
6,809 Posts
1. HID Lighting (option)
2. Wider seats
3. Higher Quality Leather
4. Thicker steering wheel
5. Larger wheels 18"-20"
6. Higher Quality Interior Part (Real Wood not simulated)
7. Higher quality control on assembly
8. Japan Built MDX not Canada
9. 300+ Horsepower engine (option)
10. Integrated cellular phone
11. Higher Quality Radio (option)
12. Power folding mirrors
13. Higher Quality Rear Seat Entertainment System (option)

I think that would be a good start.

·
Registered
452 Posts
On 2015!!!Maybe by that time people won't be driving anymore. All we have to do is tell the voice activated navigation where to go and the X will take us there. If there are now smart bombs then smart cars are not impossibility. Am I talking nonsense?Maybe not.

So l'll asked Acura to include these in 2005 X:
1. Quite as a tomb (inside) even when driving at 85mph.
2. Very good gas mileage (option hybrid).

·
Registered
50 Posts
1. One touch sun roof open and close
2. rear window open seperately
3. rear side window vent out
4. auto dim high beam head lights
5. audio controls on steering wheel
6. remote opener for back door (like on the new vans)
7. middle seats more comfortable
8. better leather on seats
9. another power point in front
10. map lights over shoulder instead of overhead (doesn't bother driver)
11. storage bins in cargo area for small items

I'll try and think of more later:rolleyes:

·
Registered
104 Posts
2015 is a still some time away so I can make grand technological advancement assumptions for what I think would be a fantastic feature. Integrate the Navi with Doppler radar. Can you imagine driving via the Navi maps and seeing at the same time whether you are heading into a storm or not? If you see a big patch of ice or precipitation coming, you may want to think twice about proceeding. This feature would be of great help to truckers and other commercial drivers who need to know this. I have no idea if this is possible but in 2015,.... Perhaps hook up to local weather network Doppler broadcasts, or even something simple like the weather.com weather maps.

On a more doable level, have power doors. The feature in Mercedes where if you close the doors lightly, at the first click, a motor will close the rest of way without slamming it.

·
Registered
522 Posts
If that date is not a typo, by 2015 I'd expect it to be getting at least 40 mpg, likely running on a fuel other than gasoline... I'd expect zero emissions as well.

I'd expect full Telematics, active suspension, active cruise control, and electronic feedback steering (like the BMW system just introduced, but more advanced by then).

Since the powerplant will undoubtedly be a hybrid of some sort, if a transmission of some kind is still required, it should be a CVT.

Etc., etc.

Tom

Lawrence said:
Hi Everyone,

Because of the nature of my Honda sponsored project at Art Center, we are designing the 2015 MDX.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I'd like to see an EL dash like Lexus, RL and the new Accords. I find them easier on the eyes and far more attractive than standard dashes. Also, a Titanium trim kit like the RSX.

Oh, I'd also like to see a Mr. Fusion option that runs on beer and banana peels. :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
1.Seamless integration of PDA’s/Laptops
2.Web access via navigation screen
3.Larger sunroof
4.Real wood.
5.Power Telescoping steering wheel
6.More wheel options
7.HID option
8.Better quality leather
9.Larger gas tank
10.Full size spare
11.Daytime running lights (US)
12.Automatic door locks once speed reaches ~ 5mph
13.Surround sound RES with TV tuner option
14.Electro luminescent Display
15.Adjustable Suspension
16.Headlamp Washers

·
Registered
235 Posts
transform your perspective!

imagine comparing the '03 MDX to a car from 1990.
who would have been able to imagine, let alone believe what technologies were to be made real for us in only 12 years.

recommended formula:
take one part acura/honda efficiency, add one part acura/honda reliability, add one part honda reasonable MSRP and cost of ownership...mix well with equal parts porsche cayenne (5+2 seat config)...

................................2015 Acura MDX!!!!

creating a car for the 2015 requires that you take a giant leap in imagination. after all, 12 years is equivalent to about 3 model generations. would it even resemble the MDX of today???

considering the awesome evolution/progress of technology, almost anything can be possible. use todays MDX as a starting point but do not limit your creativity or imagination!!!

some of the suggestions of my fellow MDXers are a great starting point.

good luck- we're all looking forward to seeing what you will create for us in 2015!

chris

:7: celebrate life!

·
Registered
33 Posts
i have afew request

1. smaller steering wheels
2. dash board and interior plastics to be replaced with better ones like carbon fibre.
3. remove all plastic wood finish .
4. seat bucket size lil deeper so one feels comfy
rest most of them have requested.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My .02 worth

I'm hoping this is really for 2005, not 2015...but here goes:

1. HID (standard or option)
2. Better stereo system
3. Rear window to open independently from rear door
4. Lighted steering wheel controls (cruise control and stereo)
5. Horn button placement on steering wheel that can be easily reached with thumb (not in center requiring taking hands off wheel)
6. Lighted heated seat controls showing L and H.

and keep all the wonderful things that makes the X so great!:2:

lilypad

·
Registered
267 Posts
Wow Lawrence. Congratulations! It sounds like you got a great project to work on. (I'm an ID too, with inital experiences in automotive and wheel goods, so I understand some of your issues. I wasn't so lucky on my vehicle projects while in school - I got projects like 3rd world rice planters and Chrysler K cars.... UGH!)

As for the MDX, I had an '01 (you can see my totalled X in Member Galleries) and I now have an '03. (It takes a lot to get me to separate from my money when it comes to vehicles, so you know the X is a good vehicle in my book.

Here are my initial thoughts on how to make it even better, and please feel free to email if you have other questions:

1) Lose the fake woodgrain!!! (Around here, we refer to it as "plood." It is just awful.... Cast your vote for honesty of materials!!!!
2) Design in some attractive side panel damage control. (As nice as the lines are on the X, it is subject to above average door ding damage.) Could plastic panels make a comeback?
3) Reconsider the rear tailgate area. Split seems to be prefered and better suited to the unfortunate height of many garages and garage doors. Could the 3rd row seats be accessed from the rear opening to improve entrance and egress?
4) Improve interior ergonomics. We really need a dead pedal that's angle and size appropriate. Comfort of seats could also be addressed, especially in the rear. And like I mentioned above, if they're really serious about 3rd row seating, it needs to be more accessible.
5) Fuel consumption and size should be considered for 2015. Fossil fuel becomes a greater political issue with each passing day. While the X is already ULEV, what considerations could we add to that?
6) If the X will continue to be taller than the average car, access to get in (up) should be improved since our population is aging.
7) You can always improve the displays and dash.
8) Mirror placement a problem for tall folks...
9) Target the demographic - maybe a style should be offered for empty nesters who don't need a dozen cup holders and 3 rows of seats.

I could go on, but I'll stop for now. Good luck and let us know how its going...

Lib

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
paul123 said:

7. Higher quality control on assembly
8. Japan Built MDX not Canada
I think that would be a good start.
Curious as to the reason why you feel it shoud be built in Japan?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.