Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
highcountrymdx said:
A couple of points that we all may want to consider about DRLs:

1. I don't think people are driving around at night with DRLs on as an intentional act. Simply, they just forget to turn their headlights on, no more, no less. I have always wondered why car manufactures wire their cars so that the instrument clusters are illuminated during the daytime. By doing so, drivers have little clue they are driving at night with their headlights off. From the driver's seat, it appears your lights are on. This is especially true when driving around a well lit urban environment that have all the illumination of a surgical suite.

2. The value of DRLs is not that they make the car more conspicuous just because they are lit. The real value of DRLs is that they provide increased depth perception cues for oncoming drivers. The brain is an amazing computer. By providing a wider visual front, especially on darker cars, the brain is more easily able to quickly judge closure rates and distances, as a function of its amazing sleight of hand we call depth perception. That's why DRLs are so effective.
You guys make my brain hurt, here is a simple answer. Make it mandatory that either a)the taillights are on with the DRLs, or b) that all cars with DRLs must have automatic lights... simple enough

·
Registered
640 Posts
ductman said:

I just have one question about ignorant driving

How come state troopers can drive like maniacs down the highway
at 100 mph plus and at the same time give out tickets to people
"speeding", I guess police officers don't practice what they preach
and please don't give the excuse that they had "driver training and
their Crown Vics are " beefed" up :1: :1: :1: :behead:
the word hypocrite comes to mind.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So, while the argument that DRLs on >'07 MDXs may not provide sufficient light at night to fool someone into thinking their headlights are on, this is not the case for all vehicles. As stated above, the absence of tailights being on in some cars with DRLs can be dangerous. I just traded in a Volvo XC90 for my MDX and the DRLs on the Volvo were .... the low beam headlights! No difference in headlights on or off except for the tailights. I had the dealer reprogram the ECU to make the DRLs the side marker lights (several Volvo owners did this on Swedespeed forum) and this gave me the "best" of both worlds. Nonetheless, cars using low beams as DRLs can create problems for other drivers at dusk and dark.
YMMV.

·
Registered
92 Posts
easy DRL fix

OK, I don't like DRL. I think it should be for motorcycles only. I don't want to stand ou from the pack and if I do, I'll just turn on the running lights (an option which misses many pro drl folks) when I want to.

Gaffer's tape. Really.

A few feet of good black gaffer's tape will cover over the drl. no wiring, no problems, and best, covers the damn DRL.

When I bought a BMW they asked me what I wanted programmed into the car... There is no reason Acura can't do the same.

Tape....really.

·
Registered
44 Posts
WOW

A request for an electrical work around has "evolved" into a big debate over the appropriateness of the DRL and to the South Park Classic "Blame Canada" :rolleyes:

As Canadians we have

1) Mandatory seatbelts
2) Mandatory DRL
3) Mandatory helmets for motorcycle operators

I'm OK with all 3 and while I can empathize with the lack of freedom of choice on this issue for Canadian drivers, I believe the roads are safer with them. I also agree running tail lights should be a part of the DRL system, particularly for those cars which use the low beam headlights as the DRL.

In the Porsche 928 I operate which was imported from the US and was of sufficient vintage not to require a DRL retrofit I always turn the fog lights on as DRL. Due to the car's color and the ability to approach and overtake other cars at a fairly high rate of speed with no front illumination I have nearly been involved in 3 accidents because the other car "didn't see me coming." when I was passing. One instance involved a semi and I had 3 passengers with me on a double lane highway. :eek:

After a friend bought a similar car (imported from the US) he asked why I always ran with the fog lights on. After a month of ownership he also turns his on religiously.

I don't believe DRL make drivers lazy, they just make the front of oncoming or overtaking vehicles that much more visible (and tail lights would help as well). As mentioned if one life is saved or accident prevented it is worth the effort.

There you have it, a Canadian perspective (and not the only one by a long shot).

Now

Back to the original topic....:1:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I didn't read thru this entire thread, but I'm guessing most who are posting in this thread are not fans of DRL. Myself included, I really don't like DRL mainly because I don't like the way it makes the car look.

EXCEPT the MDX. When I first realized those are DRLs next to the foglights, I thought to myself that's very cool. It's something I used to do on the BMWs I had to make pseudo DRLs - leaving just the fog lights on. I really like that look.

No, I don't leave my HIDs on during the day ;)

·
Registered
640 Posts
Figgen said:

In the Porsche 928 I operate which was imported from the US and was of sufficient vintage not to require a DRL retrofit I always turn the fog lights on as DRL. Due to the car's color and the ability to approach and overtake other cars at a fairly high rate of speed with no front illumination I have nearly been involved in 3 accidents because the other car "didn't see me coming." when I was passing. One instance involved a semi and I had 3 passengers with me on a double lane highway. :eek:

Sounds like you want use DRL's as a way
to make up for your poor passing decisions. If your 928 has that much power you should be back in your lane well before you have a close call with cars coming in the other direction. It is the passers responsibility to make sure they can make the safe pass. If the passer is making a safe pass they will not have close calls. The other drivers shouldn't have 'to see you coming' because you should not be in thier lane.
This is anothe reason I am not a fan of DRL's

·
Registered
44 Posts
My passing decisions had nothing to do with oncoming traffic. Double lane highways have traffic all going in the same direction with no oncoming traffic. The instances I refer to are of vehicles moving into the left lane I am already occupying because they did not see me moving up in the lane from behind them without any front illumination.

But thanks for your 2 cents and adding valuable information to this way off topic thread.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Figgen said:
My passing decisions had nothing to do with oncoming traffic. Double lane highways have traffic all going in the same direction with no oncoming traffic. The instances I refer to are of vehicles moving into the left lane I am already occupying because they did not see me moving up in the lane from behind them without any front illumination.

But thanks for your 2 cents and adding valuable information to this way off topic thread.
My bad. I thought this was a two way road passing situation. My experience is that no matter how much, or little, light you have on during the day time you will always get idiots who will do this. DRL's won't make a good driver out of a bad driver.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Fair enough, we've all run into "those" drivers and your right, it's not a lighting issue, no argument here.

As an aside on my home from work today I looked in my rear view mirror. First thing I noticed was vehicles with DRL or head lights, second was vehicles with chrome on the front (no DRL and typically pickup trucks) and third was cars without DRL and no chrome, particularly less conspicuous when driving in area that are exposed to shade.

Just an observation (try it)

·
Registered
14 Posts
sorry, i posted in another thread, but found a bit more solutions in this one..

how are the resistors holding up? did they over heat? did anyone figure out the appropriate size resistor?

i had a 2000 VW years ago.. there was a relay that controlled the DRLs and the "brake" indicator on the dash.. if you pulled the relay the DRLs would not come on, but the "brake" indicator stayed on all the time..

the solution was to take the relay cover off and put a piece of electrical take on the contact for the DRLs, but the "brake" indicator still worked..

to try that on the MDX, i need to know what relay it is (and where it is located)..

can anyone help??..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does anyone know how to disable the DRL's on a 2007 MDX such that you won't get the DRL warning message on the dash? I've tried pulling the two fuses listed in the manual and removing the light bulbs themselves. Sure both methods work for turning off the DRL's, but then the message comes up on the dash to check the DRL system. It's very annoying and any help would be much appreciated. :banghead:
You have to put resistors that trick the car into thinking you have regular bulbs in there. I changed mine to LEDs and the dash message is annoying me also but not enough to put the resistors and do the electrical work.

81 - 95 of 95 Posts