Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Tail lights are off with the DRL's on my motorhome.

It's hard to imagine at night not knowing the lights aren't on with DRL's? The lack of dashlights should tell you that they (headlights) are off.

In rainy conditions during daylight hours I could understand where the DRL's could be a problem. When raining it is safer to turn the lights on with the tail lights also lit. With my DRL's and driving during the day, and it's raining, I probably don't have the lights on, and don't notice a problem because the lights on the dash are not needed.

Next time I drive in the rain during the day in the motorhome I'm going to make sure the lights are on and not just the DRL's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
LionSpeed said:

Hey officer, what have you been smoking lately? DRL's promote ignorant driving? DLR's don't turn on the tail lights? :confused:

:19: :20:

Another fine example to see my tax money gone down the drain. No pun intended. :1:
Are you illiterate?

DLR's only turn on basic headlamps. When someone turns on their vehicle and drives at night, they have a false sense of safety. They think the headlights are on because of the DRLs. What they fail to realize that that the DRLs don't activate any rear tail lights so they are driving around in the dark without adequate lighting in the rear.

·
Registered
960 Posts
OfficerKM said:

Are you illiterate?

DLR's only turn on basic headlamps. When someone turns on their vehicle and drives at night, they have a false sense of safety. They think the headlights are on because of the DRLs. What they fail to realize that that the DRLs don't activate any rear tail lights so they are driving around in the dark without adequate lighting in the rear.
I see this once a week where I live. Usually in Honda CRV's or Lexus RX 330's.

:rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
OfficerKM said:

Are you illiterate?

I know I am literate ... not sure about you though officer.

1. DLR's only turn on basic headlamps? what is this? Do you even read over what you wrote? Have you even graduated from Jr High?

2. When someone turns on their vehicle and drives at night, they have a false sense of safety. Are you talking about yourself here? Where is your statistics to back this?

3. What they fail to realize that that the DRLs don't activate any rear tail lights so they are driving around in the dark without adequate lighting in the rear. Who are we talking about here. Perhaps it is you & only you who fails to realize THAT THAT (stuttering) ...

4. GOI, & go do something worth my tax $$$ for change. :1:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
guys & gals, get your popcorn out, it's gonna get ugly. ;)

:lurk:

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Sorry LS, but I've got to agree with the officer on this count. I've seen it time and time again; people driving at night with just their DRLs, and nothing else. Why is this, you ask? Because most cars these days have gauges that are constantly lit, hence the driver has no way of knowing that their actual headlights aren't on (beyond being aware enough to actually notice that their headlights aren't throwing out as much light as they usually do). And no, the DRLs don't activate your tail lights, which needless to say, creates a hazard when driving at night.

It's not really that hard to understand, is it? :confused:

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
eujinc said:
Are you doing this to increase your post count again?

This feels like deja vu.

:cool:

Shhhhhh! be quiet.
:5: :19: :20: :19: :19: :19: :21:

LOL. I got nothing but love for the officers & firemen. They risk their life to keep our community safe. :29:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
thanks now I got move on to the next victim. Who's next! :1:

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
SuperTech said:

Only the MDX and RL have the automatic lights. Acura's most popular model, the TL has DRLs now.
The TL doesn't have automatic lights?

What a joke, that just crossed that car off my list of cars for my wife, I haven't had to turn headlights on or off for at least 7 years, and I am not going to look at a "Luxury" car that doesn't have that feature.

·
Registered
492 Posts
OfficerKM said:

As a police officer I must disagree. DRL's promote ignorant driving. The problem is that people don't realize their lights aren't actually on. DLR's don't turn on the tail lights, just the front. We see alot of rear end collisions because of this.
I just have one question about ignorant driving

How come state troopers can drive like maniacs down the highway
at 100 mph plus and at the same time give out tickets to people
"speeding", I guess police officers don't practice what they preach
and please don't give the excuse that they had "driver training and
their Crown Vics are " beefed" up :1: :1: :1: :behead:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
ductman said:
A hammer would disable those drl's:4::25: :25:
Can a hammer disable the annoying "hey idiot, you are out of gas you moron" sound, eventhough you still have a good 50 miles to go? :3:

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I take every post on a heated subject from people who have just signed up with a grain of salt.

The posters probably have the same IP address.

As for the DRLs, I could care less about them. Every car I have driven that has DRLs has had auto lights, so it hasn't been an issue.

·
Registered
960 Posts
craniotes said:
Sorry LS, but I've got to agree with the officer on this count. I've seen it time and time again; people driving at night with just their DRLs, and nothing else. Why is this, you ask? Because most cars these days have gauges that are constantly lit, hence the driver has no way of knowing that their actual headlights aren't on (beyond being aware enough to actually notice that their headlights aren't throwing out as much light as they usually do). And no, the DRLs don't activate your tail lights, which needless to say, creates a hazard when driving at night.

It's not really that hard to understand, is it? :confused:

Regards,
Adam

Exactly.

Cars like the Honda CRV, Honda Accord, etc. throw off a little light from their headlights when DRL's are on. No taillights. Gauges are backlit.

My dad has fallen victim to this in his new Accord.

It's just a stupid feature.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
gmc74 said:

crap, you are gaining on me
Can you just be a good boy & go away for few more weeks. As of now I'm still couple of double digits short. ;)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Needsdecaf said:
Cars like the Honda CRV, Honda Accord, etc. throw off a little light from their headlights when DRL's are on. No taillights. Gauges are backlit.
You can also add pretty much every Lexus ever made to this list. Usually it's women and old folks driving LS/ES/RXs that I see driving around with just their DRLs.

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
745 Posts
A couple of points that we all may want to consider about DRLs:

1. I don't think people are driving around at night with DRLs on as an intentional act. Simply, they just forget to turn their headlights on, no more, no less. I have always wondered why car manufactures wire their cars so that the instrument clusters are illuminated during the daytime. By doing so, drivers have little clue they are driving at night with their headlights off. From the driver's seat, it appears your lights are on. This is especially true when driving around a well lit urban environment that have all the illumination of a surgical suite.

2. The value of DRLs is not that they make the car more conspicuous just because they are lit. The real value of DRLs is that they provide increased depth perception cues for oncoming drivers. The brain is an amazing computer. By providing a wider visual front, especially on darker cars, the brain is more easily able to quickly judge closure rates and distances, as a function of its amazing sleight of hand we call depth perception. That's why DRLs are so effective.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
highcountrymdx said:
That's why DRLs are so effective.
I suppose that's why they should be so effective, but unfortunately the data simply doesn't support this as fact. The safety increases cited by DRL supporters is negligible, while detractors can point to any number of tests which show no increase in safety, and in some cases even a minimal decrease.

And I agree, folks aren't driving around with their headlights off on purpose, they simply don't know any better because they have DRLs, and are tricked into thinking that their headlights are on.

However, there is one instance where I think we can all agree that DRLs are efficacious, and that's at dusk. Far too many drivers don't turn on their headlights during this twilight between day and night, which is precisely when your eyes are playing the most tricks on you.

Mind you, that's the only props I'm giving 'em.

Regards,
Adam

61 - 80 of 95 Posts