Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
BaldEagle said:
This one that I own has DRL's and does not have automatic headlights:
My 98 Chevy truck had DRLs, but no automatic lights. My wife's 03 Jetta had DRLs but no automatic lights.

I believe that all of the newer GM models have auto lights with DRLs, but it is more spotty in the other brands. GM did it in the "don't sue me" mode. The funny thing is that if they didn't have the DRLs, they wouldn't have had to worry about that ;).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
A solution to the problem at hand.

Alright, so apparently the DRL's are quite the can of worms. Starting this thread I didn't intend to argue the usefulness of DRL's, just figure out how to disable them on the '07 MDX. For those reading this thread hoping for a solution here it is. I have successfully tricked the X into thinking it still has the light bulbs plugged in even when they aren't.

As was suggested by crazymjb (mike) earlier in this post I inserted a 10-Ohm resistor into the connectors of the light bulb socket. Here's a step-by-step:
  • Purchase a pair of 10-Ohm resistors from RadioShack. They'll run you about $1.50 (See picture)
  • Follow the instructions in the manual for replacing your fog/DRL lights. There's just one screw and two clips to pull out. You might think you're breaking the inner fender when you push it out, but it's really very flexible.
  • Note you will need a flat blade screw driver to remove the clips. Use the screw driver to pull out the center section of the clip, then the outer section will come right out. (The center section may require a lot of force if it's stuck)
  • Pull out the light bulbs, plug in your resistor and I recommend taping it up with electrical tape just to keep it all in place.
  • I actually taped the connector to the light bulb and put it back in just so things weren't hanging loose and the lamp was fully enclosed.
  • Button everything back up the way it was and you're good to go. No obnoxoius dashboard messages and no lights.
And if you're wondering, no this does not effect any of the other lights in the car. e.g. fogs, low beams, high beams, tail lights, etc.

Again, sorry for the poor picture quality, it's a camera phone after all. I've tried to clean it up best I can. It's a pair of 10-Ohm 1 watt / 5% tolerance Metal-Oxide Resistors. Number 271-151
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Socket Picture

Here's a picture of the socket with the bulb removed and a resistor plugged in. I needed a very small flat blade screw driver to push in the resistor. I then taped over it to keep in from falling out of place.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Re: Socket Picture

Can someone ouit there who knows how to calculate Ohms&Watts&Voltage confirm that a 1 watt 10 ohm resister can safely handle the current? Looks to me like you would have one HOT resister!!



gestes said:
Here's a picture of the socket with the bulb removed and a resistor plugged in. I needed a very small flat blade screw driver to push in the resistor. I then taped over it to keep in from falling out of place.
:17:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
mdxx3 said:
Yes Selborne, that would be one really hot resistor (probably an open circuit and non-issue by now). (??) It's somewhere around 21W when V=14.5 (typical)...
Hasn't been a problem thus far, and I've been driving around all day. I'm not an electrician so I don't know if the resistence is correct. Anyone out there who knows about these things want to suggest the correct Ohm resistor I should get? I'll change it out and let you all know the results. Thus far no problems or DRL warnings to speak of.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
545 Posts
To be sure everything is A-ok you could get a multimeter and test the light bulb.

I'd get a multi meter and check the current draw from the resistor, and using E/IR double check everything.

Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
DRLs: Why not a switch?

Don't know if it's possible to do it, but what I'd love to see is an enterprising tech-type figure out a circuit with a switch (with an adequate resistor built into the circuit) that can simply be wired in or plugged in at the fuse location. GOAL: you can flip the swich ON, the DRLs work; OFF, the DRLs are off and the resistor fools the computer into thinking everything is OK so you don't get the warning messages.

Switch could be mounted somewhere under the edge of the dash.

I like DRLs in the daytime, but have occasions at night when I have to have them off temporarily.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Re: DRLs: Why not a switch?

042005 said:


I like DRLs in the daytime, but have occasions at night when I have to have them off temporarily.
The DRL's don't run while the headlights are on. Supposedly you would always run your headlights at night, so I'm pretty sure you won't have to worry about them then. :) Unless of course you're talking about having the car running and you want all the lights off. In that case I can understand.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Re: DRLs: Why not a switch?

042005 said:
Don't know if it's possible to do it, but what I'd love to see is an enterprising tech-type figure out a circuit with a switch (with an adequate resistor built into the circuit) that can simply be wired in or plugged in at the fuse location. GOAL: you can flip the swich ON, the DRLs work; OFF, the DRLs are off and the resistor fools the computer into thinking everything is OK so you don't get the warning messages.
And yeah, a switch would be handy, it could just be located at the fuse box under the hood for all I care. I'm just not that handy with a soldering iron. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
Re: Re: DRLs: Why not a switch?

gestes said:


The DRL's don't run while the headlights are on. Supposedly you would always run your headlights at night, so I'm pretty sure you won't have to worry about them then. :) Unless of course you're talking about having the car running and you want all the lights off. In that case I can understand.
As I understand it, don't the DRLs extinguish when you put the parking brake on or put the trans in park? I think that is to allow you to sit somewhere without the DRLs illuminated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
highcountrymdx said:


As I understand it, don't the DRLs extinguish when you put the parking brake on or put the trans in park? I think that is to allow you to sit somewhere without the DRLs illuminated.
Nope, if your headlights aren't on then the DRL's are on. Use of the brake or being in a certain gear does not effect them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
I didn't say why I needed the lights off, because I thought it'd be too much information--but I do have to drive short distances (not on the streets) with only parking lights on. I'm an amateur astronomer and several times during the year groups of folks get together to look at or photograph the planets and stars through telescopes, hopefully on moonless nights. These are usually out in the country away from city light pollution, probably in a field or pasture. When possible you get to the site before dark, park the car and set up your scope while it's still daylight. But, that isn't always possible, expecially in winter--sometimes you get there late. Courtesy demands you not drive up near a group of folks looking through telescopes with anything stronger than your parking lights on-- DRLs ruin that.

Easy fix: pull the fuses, or the bulbs, just for that night. Elegant fix: car manufacturers need to install an on/off switch on the DRLs as original equipment (. Compromise: come up with my own on/off switch.

When I saw Geste's post, it resonated with me--and the description of taping resistors into the light sockets made me think there has to be a better way. It just needs to be designed by someone who knows what they're doing around a modern automotive electrical system (that ain't me).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,913 Posts
deejay said:
interesting. Can you turn the fog-lights on in the 07 with just the parking break on? What do you do in a drive-in??
I guess DRLs weren't meant for drive-ins, at least not on the 07 MDX. There are separate bulbs for fogs and DRLS AFAIK, and the fogs can be turned on only when the lowbeams are on. I haven't tried just turning the parking lights on -- will find out tomorrow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
459 Posts
The fogs will only work when the Low-Beams are on.

The DRL's will stay on once the parking brake is released. They will remain on with parking lights and only turn off when the head-lights are turned on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
rsnaider said:
The fogs will only work when the Low-Beams are on.

The DRL's will stay on once the parking brake is released. They will remain on with parking lights and only turn off when the head-lights are turned on.
I'm confused....
Are the DRLs disabled with parking brake on (that is what I understood)?

If the DRLs are disabled when the parking brake is applied, this might be the key to disable them. Tap that parking brake signal and use that to temporarily/permanently kill the DRLs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
459 Posts
When the car is first started, the DRL's are not on. They will come on once you release the parking break.

They will stay on even the parking brake is re-applied. The only way to turn them off is to turn the key to the ACC position, or turn on the headlights.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2 Posts
TulsaMDX said:


The entire point of DRL's is to make the vehicle more visible. I have to say that when looking down the road, I notice a vehicle with DRL's before I will notice one without.

To each his own...
As a police officer I must disagree. DRL's promote ignorant driving. The problem is that people don't realize their lights aren't actually on. DLR's don't turn on the tail lights, just the front. We see alot of rear end collisions because of this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,818 Posts
OfficerKM said:


As a police officer I must disagree. DRL's promote ignorant driving. The problem is that people don't realize their lights aren't actually on. DLR's don't turn on the tail lights, just the front. We see alot of rear end collisions because of this.
Hey officer, what have you been smoking lately? DRL's promote ignorant driving? DLR's don't turn on the tail lights? :confused:

:19: :20:

Another fine example to see my tax money gone down the drain. No pun intended. :1:
 
41 - 60 of 95 Posts
Top