Acura MDX SUV Forums banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how to disable the DRL's on a 2007 MDX such that you won't get the DRL warning message on the dash? I've tried pulling the two fuses listed in the manual and removing the light bulbs themselves. Sure both methods work for turning off the DRL's, but then the message comes up on the dash to check the DRL system. It's very annoying and any help would be much appreciated. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
3,913 Posts
Just out of curiosity, why would you want to?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I hate them as well... i would also like the answer to this question. My old car would burn thru lightbulbs because of the DRLs.

For what it is worth, It also drives me nuts that if you open the drivers door on the X the headlights come on.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Mia's Dad said:
I hate them as well... i would also like the answer to this question. My old car would burn thru lightbulbs because of the DRLs.
I would love this to be an option to configure. The one good aspect is they are separate bulbs and not high-beams running at lower wattage as most other cars use that does burn them out sooner.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
hondacuraworld said:
I have to admit that I hate DRLs also.....
Why would you hate something that you cannot see?

Those DRL's are there for MY safety as well as yours. I strongly disagree with someone taking an action that adversly effects my safety.

G

·
Registered
222 Posts
Personally I am a fan of DRL's. It helps me see the other car & people see me. I have two cars, one 3 years old & the other 6 years old, both on the original bulbs.

·
Premium Member
5,255 Posts
G. COLTON said:

Why would you hate something that you cannot see?

Those DRL's are there for MY safety as well as yours. I strongly disagree with someone taking an action that adversly effects my safety.

G
I'm not advocating bypassing them, I just don't like them. And, it drives me crazy when somebody thinks that they take the place of headlights and don't turn their lights on.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
hondacuraworld said:

I'm not advocating bypassing them, I just don't like them. And, it drives me crazy when somebody thinks that they take the place of headlights and don't turn their lights on.
I know of no vehicles which have DRL's and that also do not have automatic headlights. Which ones do you know of that are configured not automatic?

G

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, first let me say if you like DRL's and think they're safer then congrats. You might even be right. I personally don't like them. What I don't like more is that I don't have the option to turn them off or disable them myself.

Now people please, if you like DRL's great, if you don't like them great. But we're getting off topic. I started this thread to see if anyone has any useful suggestions or definitively knows how to turn off the DRL's on the '07 MDX such that you don't get messages on the nav system or warnings on the dash. (and just for review, yes I have tried pulling the fuses AND removing the light bulbs) If you want to complain about DRL's or advocate their safety please start another discussion thread on the topic. I'm looking for technical HOW-TO info on disabling this feature. Thanks very much. :)

PS-If you want to post because you too want this info and want to make your voice heard so that this thread serves as a place to demonstrate how many people want this info then please feel free.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Mia's Dad said:

For what it is worth, It also drives me nuts that if you open the drivers door on the X the headlights come on.
Oh yeah, and in response to Mia's Dad, I too find it irritating that the headlights come on when I open the driver side door when the car is off. At least you can change the option in the memory settings to have it turn off right away instead of staying on for a few seconds or minutes. I find that the headlights only come on when they're left in auto mode. If I actually turn them off they don't turn on with the door.

Still, if anyone has info on disabling this feature as well please post it.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
G. COLTON said:

I know of no vehicles which have DRL's and that also do not have automatic headlights. Which ones do you know of that are configured not automatic?

G
Only the MDX and RL have the automatic lights. Acura's most popular model, the TL has DRLs now.

Want to diasble the DRLs in the 2007 MDX? In the auxillary underhood fuse box, there are two 10amp fuses. #1 and #2 for the left and right DRL respectively. Pull them out...no more DRL. The fuses will not affect any other system.

·
Registered
545 Posts
I suppose you could pull the bulb and put a high watt resistor with the same Ohm rating as the bulb in.

I am all for requiring them by law. All our vehicles are operated with the headlights on.

With the DRLs do the rear lights come on?

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for bringing this up. We need more people to disable their DRLs, so that everyone will see every car, pedestrian, and anything else equally without being distracted by lights that do nothing but cause a driver to pause their view and miss other important things. We can see all cars just fine during the day, we don't need them to have their lights on. Thanks again :). I am hoping that more Acura and Honda owners follow your lead and help Honda to realize earlier how DRLs are not as liked or as safe as they might think (they could learn from how Toyota has made them optional or gotten rid of them entirely).

I am actually posting this for a reason, I have an older truck with the DRLs disabled. It has the dash DRL indicator and after 9 years, it is still illuminated. It used to bug me and I finally just got to where I ignore it. I am not saying that you will be able to, but if you can't find a solution, you might have to.

Cheers,

Larry

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
crazymjb said:
I suppose you could pull the bulb and put a high watt resistor with the same Ohm rating as the bulb in.

I am all for requiring them by law. All our vehicles are operated with the headlights on.

Mike
The backwoods way would be to just unplug the connectors from the bulbs. There's no point in plugging in resistors since all you'd be doing is just causing a load (albiet small) on the electrical system that does absolutely nothing. Problem with this way, is that the connectors are weather sealed when they're connected to the bulb. But when they hang loose, water could corrode the contacts and possibly even cause a short.

Rear taillights do not come on with the DRLs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
crazymjb said:

Mike
Thank you very much, this is exactly the kind of suggestion I was looking for. I'm going to the dealer tomorrow and will ask about disabling the DRL's but if that fails I just might try this.

larfx said:
Thanks for bringing this up. We need more people to disable their DRLs, so that everyone will see every car, pedestrian, and anything else equally without being distracted by lights that do nothing but cause a driver to pause their view and miss other important things. We can see all cars just fine during the day, we don't need them to have their lights on. Thanks again :). I am hoping that more Acura and Honda owners follow your lead and help Honda to realize earlier how DRLs are not as liked or as safe as they might think (they could learn from how Toyota has made them optional or gotten rid of them entirely).

I am actually posting this for a reason, I have an older truck with the DRLs disabled. It has the dash DRL indicator and after 9 years, it is still illuminated. It used to bug me and I finally just got to where I ignore it. I am not saying that you will be able to, but if you can't find a solution, you might have to.

Cheers,

Larry
Well, you can't really ignore the DRL system warning. Sure you CAN, but the nav system will send you messages and the display on the instrument panel shows a big yellow "Check the DRL system" message every time you start the car, and it does not go away until you press a button, and then the info light is always on, which indicates any info message. So if I ignore the info light I might actually miss something I want to know about, like low oil pressure, or low fuel, or my car has a bomb in it that'll explode if I drop under 55mph (or was that 50). :D

SuperTech said:

The backwoods way would be to just unplug the connectors from the bulbs. There's no point in plugging in resistors since all you'd be doing is just causing a load (albiet small) on the electrical system that does absolutely nothing. Problem with this way, is that the connectors are weather sealed when they're connected to the bulb. But when they hang loose, water could corrode the contacts and possibly even cause a short.

Rear taillights do not come on with the DRLs.
Well I'm pretty sure that load is necessary for the system to think that everything is kosher. Otherwise I end up with a warning message like I said. But you have a point about corroding the connectors. I don't want to damage anything, I'd like to be able to reverse anything I do, just in case I change my mind in the future. This is really all about having the choice for myself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Pic 1/4

Here's a picture of the fuse box under the hood on the left. The clip is on one of the two fuses you can pull to disable the DRL's (this of course causes the warning messages.) The second fuse is next to the one indicated.

(Sorry for the poor picture quality. All I have is my camera phone at the moment.)

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Pic 3/4

After you press the info button on the steering wheel the mesage goes away but you have the yellow 'i' info light on telling you the warning is still there. (Keep in mind that you would have to see that message, clear it, and tolerate this light being on all the time if you were to just pull the fuse OR bulb as some have suggested)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 95 Posts