Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to the site and came here looking for some wisdom. I own a 2014 MDX, SH-AWD, Advance. I installed all the accessories myself (roof rails, rear bumper protector, side moldings, splash guards, advance running boards, among other "simple" ones, saving easily $1k to $2k from the dealer's quote. I always wanted to install the fog lights, but looking at the installation instructions, they looked long and kind of difficult...plus they were quite expensive. Well, until now, I just got them OEM brand new for $269 delivered. I jumped at the opportunity after analyzing the installation instructions carefully. I think I can do it...HOWEVER, my big question is: How in the world can I test the fog lights BEFORE installing them? I have a multi-meter, but for the life of me I do not know how to use it on these fog lights to determine if they are good to go and will light up before going through all the hassle of installation. Has anybody who has done this installation before or is very proficient with a multi-meter have a good way of teaching me how to do it? I am attaching photos of the back of the fog light and its connector.

Thank you for your help!

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
Looks like 2 wire, positive and ground. If you can find a 12 volt battery and make a jumper wire from the battery to either terminal on that connector. If it does not work one way, reverse the wires. Most of the time, black is ground.
It is a bit of work to install the fog lights, but not too bad as long as you have 2 people. The instructions were pretty easy to follow. Take your time. It is not that bad to take the bumper off. Changing the turn signal stalk was a bit of a challenge, but doable.

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
If you can find a 12 volt battery and make a jumper wire from the battery to either terminal on that connector. If it does not work one way, reverse the wires.
I definitely don't recommend doing that. You certainly don't want to casually reverse the power leads if it doesn't work one way thus guaranteeing you're hooking them up wrong at least one time. Connecting power incorrectly to LED lights can damage them and you could destroy these expensive fog lights in your effort to test them.

You should only connect the power cables to them correctly. I haven't installed the fog lights on this since I think they're just a decoration that doesn't add much practical value due to how good the LED headlights are, but if nothing else follow the instructions to the point where you hook up the cable harness and then connect the fog lights 'properly' to the harness and test to see if they work, before bolting everything else back together, if possible. If there's not a reasonable way to do that then just go ahead and follow the instructions and they'll likely work once you're done if you did everything right. I don't recall anyone posting here about non-functional fog lights.

·
Registered
316 Posts
No different when you buy led bulbs. If they do not work when inserting in socket, the instruction is to reverse the bulb in the socket. Suddenly they work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, thank you. Question: Can a multimeter damage the LED fog lights as well if used incorrectly? Per your warning above? I will probably go ahead with the installation and see how it goes...

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
No different when you buy led bulbs. If they do not work when inserting in socket, the instruction is to reverse the bulb in the socket. Suddenly they work.
Unless you exactly how the circuit on this particular fog lamp is designed you can't know whether it'd be okay to apply voltage with the wrong polarity. It might be reasonable to use with a $2 simple bulb but it's not worth just winging this with an item that costs hundreds of dollars.

Can a multimeter damage the LED fog lights as well if used incorrectly?
Sometimes it can but it depends on the function used (ex: the ohmmeter applies some current in order to read the resistance). The DC voltage setting won't cause damage. I'm not sure what you want to measure for this.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Green is ground, black is 'bad' or 'hot'.

Interested why you think they might not work if new? Also, great price. Where did you buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi. I'm back, sorry about the delay. I got them from Amazon, a third party seller. Just search for Acura-08V31-TZ5-200 on Amazon and you will find them.

Anyhow, I wanted to provide an update...I installed them a few days ago and they work like a charm. It is a PAIN, but doable. Worst part in my view was dealing with the front bumper and also the ground screw...that thing is almost impossible to reach or work with. I highly recommend anybody who can get them, do so...they look very cool. For $269, there are no excuses. Get them while they last at that link above.

Also, I have an additional question here...when I removed the trim sections around the steering wheel, I noticed something out of place behind the ignition button panel. After doing some research, I found out that it was the humidity sensor. It was just thrown there, not set in its place on the panel. Also, the clear plastic tube attached to the sensor was not connected to the small nipple on the back. I then realized that when I got my MDX, it was one of the first sold by the dealer and it had an issue with the navigation system not working properly. It was so new, that they had to call the Acura engineers at their HQs and they sent some instruments to test it. Bottom line, they ended up replacing the system with one from new MDX they had in the lot. So, that means that when their technicians were working on that, they just bluntly removed the humidity sensor and left it there without connecting all this time. They even broke one of the plastic ears that holds it in place. I was afraid that thing leaked or something, because what would be the reason of it having a clear plastic hose attached that connected to a nipple that, according to diagrams, continue all the way to the bottom of the SUV. That surely pissed me off, the fact that they would be so careless. So question: Can anybody explain what does the humidity sensor does (of course I know it measures humidity on the cabin air), but mostly I want to know how does it work, what effect does it has on the Acura systems and does it actually LEAKS any water? I'm thinking it might condensate some water from the cabin air in order to determine the humidity levels!? Because if not, why in the world would it have a plastic hose...I'm very confused and upset they left that disconnected like that.

Thank you!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hi. I'm back, sorry about the delay. I got them from Amazon, a third party seller. Just search for Acura-08V31-TZ5-200 on Amazon and you will find them.

Anyhow, I wanted to provide an update...I installed them a few days ago and they work like a charm. It is a PAIN, but doable. Worst part in my view was dealing with the front bumper and also the ground screw...that thing is almost impossible to reach or work with. I highly recommend anybody who can get them, do so...they look very cool. For $269, there are no excuses. Get them while they last at that link above.

Also, I have an additional question here...when I removed the trim sections around the steering wheel, I noticed something out of place behind the ignition button panel. After doing some research, I found out that it was the humidity sensor. It was just thrown there, not set in its place on the panel. Also, the clear plastic tube attached to the sensor was not connected to the small nipple on the back. I then realized that when I got my MDX, it was one of the first sold by the dealer and it had an issue with the navigation system not working properly. It was so new, that they had to call the Acura engineers at their HQs and they sent some instruments to test it. Bottom line, they ended up replacing the system with one from new MDX they had in the lot. So, that means that when their technicians were working on that, they just bluntly removed the humidity sensor and left it there without connecting all this time. They even broke one of the plastic ears that holds it in place. I was afraid that thing leaked or something, because what would be the reason of it having a clear plastic hose attached that connected to a nipple that, according to diagrams, continue all the way to the bottom of the SUV. That surely pissed me off, the fact that they would be so careless. So question: Can anybody explain what does the humidity sensor does (of course I know it measures humidity on the cabin air), but mostly I want to know how does it work, what effect does it has on the Acura systems and does it actually LEAKS any water? I'm thinking it might condensate some water from the cabin air in order to determine the humidity levels!? Because if not, why in the world would it have a plastic hose...I'm very confused and upset they left that disconnected like that.

Thank you!
Were these genuine Acura fog lights or OEM replacements? The price seems pretty good about half price from what the dealers charge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They are the real deal...OEM HONDA Part in original packaging. Every part included and brand new as per the installation instructions. No replacements...those are genuine. I know, because I just installed mine.

·
Registered
27 Posts
They are the real deal...OEM HONDA Part in original packaging. Every part included and brand new as per the installation instructions. No replacements...those are genuine. I know, because I just installed mine.
Thanks Coamex on the heads up! I ordered from the same person last week and installed it on Saturday. Smooth install for me. The difficult part is removing the previous trim cover. It was a lot easier to put the bumper back on by ziplocking/labeling the clips, bolts and screw. I learned my lesson the last time I took off the bumper to replace the lower black trim. (Semi-truck hit a construction barrel which slammed into the front bump within a week of buying).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts