Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can we check whether my 2017 MDX Tech AWD has ANC (Active Noise Cancellation) and, if so, whether the ANC works fine?

My MDX used to be really quiet, but from a few weeks ago I can hear a lot more noise from tire/wind/engine/other cars. I took it to a dealership and had a test drive with a mechanic and he said it's normal. I asked if its ANC worked, and they said my MDX should not have ANC. So, they deny any warranty work on this issue basically and I need more information on my own.

I had some experiments myself.
1. Fixing RPM to around 3500, I switched IDS between Comfort/Sports. I didn't feel any difference. (As a comparison, this YouTube
2. With the MDX parked around a highway, I entered the diagnostic menu (Nav+Menu+Back) and turned on/off ANC. I didn't feel any difference in engine noise and ambient noise. I didn't feel any difference in audio sound either.

Do you feel differences in noise level with ANC on/off or with IDS Comfort/Sports?

Any info will be appreciated very much.

·
Registered
869 Posts
From the IDS description in the owner's manual:

"Sport
Enhances vehicle response feel through decreased steering assist, heightened throttle response, increased SH-AWD* torque bias, and modified active sound control."

FWIW, Harley Davidson has experimented with electric motorcycles, and they felt they needed to have artificial exhaust sound or nobody would buy them.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
From what I remember, the only difference I could hear was the engine growl is more muted on Comfort. That's about it. Everything else has always been the same for me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info! I even can't notice in the engine growl between Comfort and Sport. I am ok with engine growl, but I don't like environment noise like tire noise, wind noise. My feeling is that my MDX get a lot more such noise recently than before. From your replies, I guess those noise are not so damped by ANC?

·
Registered
869 Posts
ANC isn't effective against higher frequency noise, like wind noise or most road noise. It's only effective against low frequency noise like exhaust noise or the drone and vibration of an unbalanced motor, as happens when VCM ( cylinder shutdown ) is active.

Make sure all your windows and sunroof glass are completely closed. Any unsealed opening to the outside will drastically increase wind and road noise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts