Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My MDX is around 65k miles and I think there is still about 10k miles life left on the pads. But kind of want to make sure. I can see the pads if I put my face close to the wheel and look sideways. But how can I measure the thickness of the pads? If somebody knows some practical tricks on this, it will help a lot! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
How do you know there's 10k remaining? You also need to pull the wheels in order to check the inside pads. Sometimes they don't wear evenly so it's worth taking a peak.

To know the life remaining, you'll need a special tool to measure the pad. Then compare the measurement to the stock specs. I have no clue what the OEM specs were though so I'm not sure how to guess how much life you really have left.

I'm almost to 65k miles as well and my rears are looking a little thin, but again I don't know how thick they were from the start. Fronts are in much better shape.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
I knew I could trust my dealer when I asked them to replace my brake pads based on mileage (around 70k or so) and they told me it could wait until the next service.

I told them at the next service to go ahead and change the pads as it's not an item I want to mess around with, and I knew I wouldn't still have the vehicle to change the pads another time, so to me changing the pads 5-10k early was worth the peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Acura has free brake checks. I have done that twice and from the records I can infer that the replacement will be due around 75k miles. Just want to make sure. I have done A LOT OF local driving, so I believe the OEM setup could easily last around 90k for mostly highway driving. Wondering how come a lot of people complain about rotors.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Midas offers free brake inspections, which include pad & rotor thickness.
Other than that, just wait until you think that you hear your car dragging a stick or tree branch, while you drive.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I used to just look at the outside pads, then on our Honda Odyssey I found that the inside of the right rear had worn waaaay ahead of the outside pad. It may have been due to the e-brake. Anyway, if you ask your dealer, you can bet your last dollar that you will be told they are due.

·
Registered
704 Posts
If you're replacing yourself, it's only 100 bucks for all four wheels. It shouldn't be difficult decision. If you have to press on the brake hard to stop the car, it's time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was told at my last dealership inspection that my brakes were due for replacement, and that my rotors needed shaving since they were being scratched during breaking. They wanted to charge about $900 for the job...lol. Crazy. Anyway, I went ahead and bought some cross drilled/slotted Power Stop rotors and some EBC pads. I'm looking to have them installed in a local shop...anyone know of any trusted shops in NYC that won't charge an arm and a leg for the installation?

Ed

·
Registered
274 Posts
I was told at my last dealership inspection that my brakes were due for replacement, and that my rotors needed shaving since they were being scratched during breaking. They wanted to charge about $900 for the job...lol. Crazy. Anyway, I went ahead and bought some cross drilled/slotted Power Stop rotors and some EBC pads. I'm looking to have them installed in a local shop...anyone know of any trusted shops in NYC that won't charge an arm and a leg for the installation?

Ed
pm me for a quote.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I tend not to trust brake check results from a shop that does brake jobs ...
I was wondering whether America's Tire/Discount Tire would check it for us, or allow us to check, after they take the wheels off. I just do not want to mess with such a big chunk of mass myself, unless absolutely necessary.

Midas offers free brake inspections, which include pad & rotor thickness.
Other than that, just wait until you think that you hear your car dragging a stick or tree branch, while you drive.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts