Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little while back, I responded to a post about wet-sanding the orange peel off the MDX.

Now that I've taken delivery, I'm glad I chose silver as the orange peel is there, but made virtually invisible due to the color. A black MDX would no doubt have had me insane (I'm a car nut...little things like that drive us insane) Black is still the most kick-ass color in my book though...in case you guys that have black ones were going to pull out the flames

I still want to give the wet sand a shot, though...car nut remember...I can't see it but I KNOW its there:13:

Anyone know how many coats of clear are on there? There really should be at least three. If not, the shop may have to spray, and that would make the cost too high...(probably over a grand...at that price I can live with orange peel.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
MannyE said:
A little while back, I responded to a post about wet-sanding the orange peel off the MDX.

Now that I've taken delivery, I'm glad I chose silver as the orange peel is there, but made virtually invisible due to the color. A black MDX would no doubt have had me insane (I'm a car nut...little things like that drive us insane) Black is still the most kick-ass color in my book though...in case you guys that have black ones were going to pull out the flames

I still want to give the wet sand a shot, though...car nut remember...I can't see it but I KNOW its there:13:

Anyone know how many coats of clear are on there? There really should be at least three. If not, the shop may have to spray, and that would make the cost too high...(probably over a grand...at that price I can live with orange peel.
Out of curiosity do you think the real cause of the orange peel is the factory puts on too few thick coats rather than at least 3 thin coats, and allowing to dry partially in between coats?
Of course they do this the interest of speeding up production.
I recently saw a new Jag and looked closely and could not detect any orange peel. The finished paint looked very smooth without a ripple. All it needed was a few coats of Zaino to finish it off.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Re: Orange peel

DaleB said:
Out of curiosity do you think the real cause of the orange peel is the factory puts on too few thick coats rather than at least 3 thin coats, and allowing to dry partially in between coats?
Of course they do this the interest of speeding up production.
I recently saw a new Jag and looked closely and could not detect any orange peel. The finished paint looked very smooth without a ripple. All it needed was a few coats of Zaino to finish it off.
I doubt it. The main reason that the some factory finishes are smoother than others are the characteristics of the paint itself.

While 'drying time' is important (especially in the aftermarket), the choice of paint and PRIMER is probably the biggest factor in production enviroment. All primer is fairly "lumpy". If you can sand out and/or coat very lightly with primer you get a much smoother surface to start.

A very "thined down" color coat is much less likely to show orange peel.

TO get adequate coverage/protection you would need greater total time for both application & drying, but I belive the factory techinques (Honda) utlize "water borne acrylic" and are heat catalyzed with the clear coat which is probably diferent than the process employed by Jaguar...

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is also a common trait when cars are not painted by hand...robots don't seem to have the "touch".

Even when painted by hand, there are always imperfections that need to be smoothed out by a wet sand or some other form of abrasion.

To get that kind of paint perfection on a production car you usually have to finish the job yourself, or get a much more expensive car!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts