Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the attached picture, there is a small bag of grease that came with the other brake parts. I am not sure about how to apply these grease, anybody can help? Also what is the torque spec for the plugs on the slide pins? Thanks a lot.

Attachments

·
Registered
353 Posts
Others may disagree with me but I applied it on the back of the pads, on the anti squeak shim (both sides), on the outer cover before sandwiching it shut. I then applied it on the outer cover exactly where the Piston makes contact with the pad. That said, I ran out after doing one side and had to pick up a packet at Autozone to do the other side. :)

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
Pins, back side of pads, and the ears.

Previous spec was this:
Front
Caliper Bracket = 101 lb-ft
Caliper slider pin = 53 lb-ft

Rear
Caliper bracket = 65 lb-ft
Caliper slider pin = 27 lb-ft

Probably could use the same.

Pitfalls on not having paper shop manuals anymore!!

Paging supertech...

EDIT NVM These are the correct specs for your gen. For some reason I keep seeing 3G when I'm in the 2G forum. LOL

·
Registered
353 Posts
Just don't get it on your actual pad surface. Once you have it all assembled, you will see parts of the back of the pad that you didn't really need to grease (non-contact points). You can just wipe that off or leave it be.

I wanted to paint mine to blend/match with my wheels so I cleaned up those areas and shot the caliper, back of the pad and the center rust ring on the rotor in gloss black.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a lot for the torque!

Pins, back side of pads, and the ears.

Previous spec was this:
Front
Caliper Bracket = 101 lb-ft
Caliper slider pin = 53 lb-ft

Rear
Caliper bracket = 65 lb-ft
Caliper slider pin = 27 lb-ft

Probably could use the same.

Pitfalls on not having paper shop manuals anymore!!

Paging supertech...

EDIT NVM These are the correct specs for your gen. For some reason I keep seeing 3G when I'm in the 2G forum. LOL

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took a look at my current brake setup. The shinny shim between caliper and anti-noise shim (black) is super clean, no sign of any grease. That is surprising, as I would also expect to see some grease there. When you replaced your pads, did you notice any grease there, under the pistions? should I only apply it on the slide pins and behind the pads?

Also i'd like to paint my caliper as well. which kind of paint would you recommend and do we need any primer?

Just don't get it on your actual pad surface. Once you have it all assembled, you will see parts of the back of the pad that you didn't really need to grease (non-contact points). You can just wipe that off or leave it be.

I wanted to paint mine to blend/match with my wheels so I cleaned up those areas and shot the caliper, back of the pad and the center rust ring on the rotor in gloss black.

·
Registered
2,667 Posts
You can apply it to the pistons instead of the back of the pad on the piston side of the caliper. It does the same thing as the back of the pad on that side, except you're only getting the grease on the contact parts. Exposed grease can and will trap dirt, but hasn't really made any issues for me ever. The anti squeak shims tend to be made of a material that stops noise anyhow, so it's not really necessary in my opinion, but I have seen others do it as well.

There are many high temp brake caliper paints out there. The spray on ones tend to flake off more easily than the brush on types, but are ultimately faster to apply and touch up with.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I just bought gloss black engine paint (high temp). I didn't prime it but cleaned it up really well. (Degreased and brake parts cleaner). I just taped off the areas I didn't want to get painted and sprayed it. It has lasted well over a year and I'm assuming the heat from the caliper helps to bake it on. I figure next time the wheels are off I can check to see if anything flaked off. And if so I'll clean it up and spray it again.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just bought gloss black engine paint (high temp). I didn't prime it but cleaned it up really well. (Degreased and brake parts cleaner). I just taped off the areas I didn't want to get painted and sprayed it. It has lasted well over a year and I'm assuming the heat from the caliper helps to bake it on. I figure next time the wheels are off I can check to see if anything flaked off. And if so I'll clean it up and spray it again.
I've used the high temp spray paint on my BMW calipers and they are not flaking after 5 years. I did however prime them. I think you'll be fine with yours.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Also on the grease advice. The reason I put grease basically everywhere but on the pad surface and non-contact points is you don't want them to squeak. If you missed a spot, you will need to pull it all apart again. So I'd be liberal with it and even have an extra packet of grease on hand in case you run out. Again this is my personal philosophy :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts