Acura MDX SUV Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just traded in a Pilot for an MDX to arrive in December or January.

One thing that is real important to me is to have a quiet rattle-free ride.

How quiet is the MDX? Does it rattle over bumps?

Someone in a poll here said it was terribly noisy and way worse than his BMW.

·
3,109 Posts
`01 and `02s are noisy, `03 is wary wary quiet!

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Well... it depends on your standard.

But my 02 MDX is a lot quieter than my 93 Maxima. And the 03 model supposely be even quieter than 01 or 02 model of mdx.

·
Registered
206 Posts
...my 03 is the quietest SUV I've ever been in...just sold my ML320, which I thought was quiet....

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
I get a kick out of the whole quiet issue. I have never owned a "luxury" vehicle till my MDX. Saying the 01/02 are very noisy compared to an 03 should come from someone who has OWNED an 01/02 and an 03(I know they are out there)That being said, I have nothing to base the quiet factor on other than my MDX.(which I feel for its size is pretty damn quiet)I am under the understanding that the 02 had some slight modifications to make it less "noisy" than an 01 and the same has been done for the 03 over the 02 models. I, myself, do not have a rattle or squeak.(yet)Everyone here has acknowledged that the body has not changed since the conception so slight modifications each year to attain "less noise" have been done. I would assume that the 03 has increased sound deadening to the underside for a dampened effect on the road noise. Never driven a Pilot so I cannot make a direct comparison only to "assume" that road noise levels will be reduced in the MDX. I don't think you will be disappointed in your decision. Congratulations on your purchase and hope you have years of squeak-free and quiet driving.

·
Registered
206 Posts
hockeyplayer said:
I get a kick out of the whole quiet issue. I have never owned a "luxury" vehicle till my MDX. Saying the 01/02 are very noisy compared to an 03 should come from someone who has OWNED an 01/02 and an 03(I know they are out there)That being said, I have nothing to base the quiet factor on other than my MDX.(which I feel for its size is pretty damn quiet)I am under the understanding that the 02 had some slight modifications to make it less "noisy" than an 01 and the same has been done for the 03 over the 02 models. I, myself, do not have a rattle or squeak.(yet)Everyone here has acknowledged that the body has not changed since the conception so slight modifications each year to attain "less noise" have been done. I would assume that the 03 has increased sound deadening to the underside for a dampened effect on the road noise. Never driven a Pilot so I cannot make a direct comparison only to "assume" that road noise levels will be reduced in the MDX. I don't think you will be disappointed in your decision. Congratulations on your purchase and hope you have years of squeak-free and quiet driving.
hockeyplayer => ....well said....

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
I don't find the 01 noisy at all. Our other car is an 00 Lexus. Yea, the GS is quieter (every Lexus is, is it not?).

Wind noise @ speed was a bit higher than I'd like -- significantly improved by DMor's screenspline application. Then again, it's a sport ute.

No chronic phantom rattles. Fixed a couple with some vinylex where the rubbing parts met. Do have 1 to track down, but not nearly as annoying as your & BPilot's shockmount noise seemed to be. And, as I mentioned in that thread, I *hate* rattles.

Excessive wind/road noise, squeaks and rattles are not items I'd put on the 'cons' list if asked.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
'03 is quiet - for the most part

Our '03 is very quiet, if all you are referring to is road/wind noise. The A/C blower fan is very loud when running faster than 2 bars on the speed indicator. It's an annoying sound, too; kind of a pulsing noise. Thank goodness the HVAC works so well that it doesn't run fast very often. The driver's seat has a squeak every once in a while, too. Overall, I would still rate it as one of the quietest vehicles I've ever owned.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How's about the engine noice when you accelerate? I never try a Lexus and I don't how quiet it should be.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
ablatt, to answer your question.....

ablatt said:
Just traded in a Pilot for an MDX to arrive in December or January.

One thing that is real important to me is to have a quiet rattle-free ride.

How quiet is the MDX? Does it rattle over bumps?

Someone in a poll here said it was terribly noisy and way worse than his BMW.
..........I have test driven the '01 and '02 model MDX several times and had the opportunity to live with a friend's '01 for 3 days. I've also test driven, at length, the '03 model about 3 times now. From my experience, the '01 was not very quiet and not very loud either (kind of average among SUVs in general, and slightly below average for a luxury SUV, the main offender being wind noise at highway speeds. The engine was also not "luxury-vehicle-hushed". For '02, Acura made many significant improvements and the '02 was noticeably quieter on the freeway. However, the '03 has made even greater strides and is now truly worthy of wearing a "LUXURY-CLASS" badge, the greatest enhancements being a very quiet engine as well as much improved wind and road noise. Remember, though, when I'm making these observations, I'm comparing it to the best in the business (Lexus, Infiniti, Mercedes, Toyota etc.).......not downmarket stuff like Ford Explorers.

To compare, I would say overall the '03 MDX is now ON PAR with the Lexus RX 300 in terms of NVH (noise, vibration and harshness)........and believe it or not, the '03 MDX's engine seems quieter to me than the RX's engine! :eek: , and at idle the '03 MDX's engine can barely be heard.

However, the '03 MDX is definitely not the quietest SUV I've driven. That one is the new Toyota 4Runner Limited V8. This vehicle is so unbelievably quiet, you wonder if an abstract force is moving the vehicle. Even under FULL THROTTLE (I "buried it into the floor" during the test drive), the engine can barely be heard :eek:, and at idle you simply cannot hear anything (even if you strain your ears) ...wonder what Toyota has done here (buried it under a thousand layers of goose down maybe???).......and that same engine is soooooo BUTTER-SMOOTH, it's something words simply cannot describe. In fact this very well might be the quietest vehicle I've ever been in, bar the Lexus LS 430. I took it up to 80mph on the freeway and the interior noise levels are shockingly low for a car, let alone an SUV........in short, very very very impressive levels of refinement!!.......and what makes this level of refinement even more impressive is the fact that this is a traditional body-on-frame, off-road capable SUV!!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
My 02 is quiet but what do I know, I can't even hear (or rarely hear) the gas tank slosh noise or the turn signal, I've just got to turn that stereo down maybe.....:2:

·
Registered
818 Posts
zafer said:
`01 and `02s are noisy, `03 is wary wary quiet!
I have had my '01 for two years now and I think it is very quite. You may want to define the word "noisy":rolleyes:

·
Registered
43 Posts
how's the quietness say compared to a rx300 or a similar luxury suv in its class?

i thought the rx300 was quieter when i drove it...but the mdx was not bad.

xc90 and x5 seemed a bit more noisy. at least compared to 2003 mdx model.

·
Registered
203 Posts
In response to the MDX question of quietness, to quote a WWII general: "NUTS"! NO, compared to an LS430 this vehicle is fairly noisy, everything being relative and each persons definition of "noise" is going to have degrees of uniqueness. That being said however, this baby Q U I E T !! I have barely 1400 miles on my X and my ONLY noise complaint (this is also in the what-the catagory) is the driver seat has a low knock when sharply cornering, a problem shared by a whole lot of folks in these forums. I have NO RATTLES, NO SQUEEKS, NO PHANTOM BUMPING SOUNDS, NO CHIRPS, NO GROANS, NO GAS SLOSH (unless I jam the brakes on abruptly), very slight wind noise but I have to be listening for it, but hey, this is an SUV ya know....NOTHIN BUT ME SNORIN BEHIND THE WHEEL!

Also, to things a little more in perspective, this vehicle is all leather, and pretty taught leather at that. There is a large dash area covered in not too soft textured plasticky material. Lots of window area. All this contributes to whatever sounds are being generated (like conversation) are ever-so-slightly echoed within the cabin. There is not as much cushy stuff like the LS430 to absorb sounds. Kinda make the radio sound better and my lovely wife and I converse easier. This is in no way a noisey vehicle, just sit back and enjoy the lux ride and don't try to ampligy a noise problem that does not exist;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
MDX & RX are as "quiet" as each other, the MDX non-touring has the same tires as RX. Moonroof on RX was always noisey.

·
Registered
10,544 Posts
sapiansays said:
what tires do the mdx come in?

i know on the rx300...it's either the goodyear integritys or the bridgestone duelers.
I believe the touring edition comes with Michelin Xterrains, and the Premium edition comes with Goodyear integrity tires...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts